PDA

View Full Version : Engine Hunting Revving & Issues 1987 2.0Si AUSTRALIA

Rob Hocking
02-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Hi
And thanks to you guys for such a great forum. Just purchased an 1987 Accord 2.0Si 4 Sp Auto (A20A4 EFI engine) for my daughter who is training and about to obtain her license. Its another major milestone and has created a large amount of happiness!!! The car is great for its age but I notice that on start up and when being driven with accelerator not depresed the motor will sometimes rev up to almost 2000 RPM from idle momentarily and then quickly drop back to 1200 RPM. Its disconcerting for the learner as the car "speeds" up all by itself without any accelerator action.

I suspect the thermostat has been removed as the engine barely warmed (temp guage at about 1/10) in a 1 hour drive from point of purchase and thermo fans only cutting in if car left idling.

The guy we brought the vehicle from is a mechanic and suggested we drive the vehicle in D3 in city traffic to help the trannie which seems to take an age to change from 2nd to 3rd "sometimes" . With correct speed and revs it does seem to change OK. I drove the car at 100 Kmh (60 MPH) from point of purchase and it drove beautifully.

I have read some of the posts on Transmission issues and would be happy to have a Transmission guy check TV and change out Trans Fluid a few times to see if that helps.

Any thoughts and thanks ?

car6289
02-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Rob:
My Accord is carb'd (with its own demons)so I'm not much help in the engine department as you a FI.. There are plenty of knowledgeable folks in that department on this forum. I have however experienced similar transmission issue. For the last two years or so my transmission "takes an age" to shift only when the car is cold. Cold being not driven for about eight or more hours,regardless of ambient temperature. The first set of upshifts are very slow, after the first set I could drive forever and never have any type of shifting problems. I do transmission fluid changes every 20,000 kms and have gone through the TV cable and shift cable rigging procedure. The rig of both were up to service manual spec. I put about 30,000 kms a year on my car. I have put my car's cold shifting down to an idiosyncrasy of my car, foolishly perhaps but so far so good. (present age 366875 kms)
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71772
Say hi to my sister for me, she lives in Indooroopilly.
Craig

Rob Hocking
02-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Thanks Craig
I live just around the corner from Indro in FTP. My daughter works at Boost Juice Bar in the Indro Shopping Ctr. The "Apparent" slippage occurs even after the car has warmed up so I dont thinks its a temp issue. All the threads indicate a clean up with 3 ATF changes and then premium on the last to get things as good as they can be. Canada is probably is a little colder than Brisbane. This Accord has a sun roof and I got the car from Toowoomba were there has been little rain in 12 months. Guy I bought it from has had it 7 months. WE had 90mm of rain Sat night and water collected in sun roof cassette and spilled everywhere when daughter went for a drive to show freinds. Spent all day Sunday cleaning tubes and removing 20 years of gunk from seals and some horrible purple tint. Looking better now but I dont want his thing breaking down as I dont want to be out at night trying to fix things.

Cheers and thanks

Rob

car6289
02-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Rob

The three fluid changes and checking the TV cable adjustment should get you started down the diagnosis path. Hopefully a solution is found there, as transmission repairs tend to get costly.

We here in southwestern BC are experiencing the warmest winter in recent memory. We rarely have stereotypical Canadian winters here. The snow is on the mountains where it belongs. It's 11 C here today and was 13 C two days ago. The organizers were looking for a green winter olympics and they're going to get their wish.
On our last visit to Brisbane (1993) went to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary in FTP
My sister lives just north of Indro shopping centre on Nelson Pde. I'll be in the neighbourhood from March 10th to the 26th (side trips to Gold Coast and Morton Island), family vacation. We start in Sydney on the 5th, north to Carins on the 8th and then to Brisbane and environs on the 10th.

Cheers,
Craig