PDA

View Full Version : White Smoke/ New Head Gasket

HondaLX
02-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Recently replaced my Head, Head Gasket, and Cam in my 88 Honda Accord Lx. I have since put it back together and it started first time after oil pressure was good. However, it is really rough idle and my exhaust has heavy white smoke coming out of it constantly. The car has been sittting for about 2 to 3 months and here in Oregon we have to have 10 Percent ethanol in our gas. Is the heavy smoke from the ethanol or something else. I didn't use any type of sealent on my head gasket. My coolant level doesn't seem to be noticably lower,and the oil dipstick looks as though it is still only oil. NO white mush.

Furthermore, it sounds as if there is some sort of "knocking" under my camshaft cover. I did lash the valves, however it is my first time doing the this. From my understanding you tighten until you have a slight grab, i felt like a doctor trying to set those right literally like an hour both times i did it.

My timing is dead on 24 degrees when the engine is cold with the hoses not blocked off, however with the hoses blocked all i see is the TDC "T" mark. If I close the Carbs choke with the engine cold it stumbles and dies. I have not warmed it up from the fear that i am damaging something with that "Pinging"/ "Knocking"

Any Help would be greatly appreciated, as i would like to take this on a trip when i get some vacation soon.

HondaLX
02-09-2010, 04:12 PM
The "knocking" of the engine makes it sound as if it is a diesel.

BaDPiSToN
02-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Why was the head replaced in the first place? Was it smoking before you replaced it?

If it has heavy smoke, the best thing to do would be a leakdown test.

This way, you'll be able to see if the coolant is actually getting in the engine or if the white smoke is just from water condensation in the exhaust due to colder weather.

HondaLX
02-09-2010, 09:00 PM
I replaced the head and cam because the cam broke on me. My car would die sometimes while i drove it so i would just pop the clutch and it would start with my momentum. I'm not sure if this is what broke my cam, but the head was guffed up too, so i replaced them.

I figured out what the problem was though, i adjusted the valves by rotating the crank clock wise instead of counter clock wise, no more diesel noise. However, my carb plate is still sucking air like its dying. If i shut the plate my car will die. I do not think that is normal. Bad Idle? I think it may be shaking a little more than usual.

It also smokes pretty bad because one of my exhaust studs broke off on me. I've never drilled or tap them out, any tips?

Oldblueaccord
02-10-2010, 05:56 AM
Get your idle set correctly.

Glad you got the valves adjusted correctly thats important.

Your timing may be set to low. Adjusting it up effects the idle by making it higher. I would take a look at that it should be set with the car at running temp.

wp