PDA

View Full Version : Timing Marks

HondaLX
02-11-2010, 01:24 PM
I am running through the search to make certain that i am doing my timing right, however I cannot get a clear picture.

I warm the vehicle up, (fan kicks twice), disconnect and plug the two distributor hoses and where they attach. I read i really only need to do one. I shine the timing light and I see a big "+". Then when i connect the hoses i see the 24. Is that correct or should i see the 24 with the hoses disconnected and connected?

It is not the TDC mark, as that is the very faint "t", correct?

On a side note on cold start up in the air cleaner box, there is a little circular hole next to carb on the driver side, I believe it is a pcv valve or something. However it makes a "Farting" Sound. It is sucking in a lot of air. When the car is warmed up though, no noise from it, however i do not think it is sucking in any air.

senor honda
02-11-2010, 10:29 PM
On my car the "+" is a "T" that stands for Top Dead Center.

With both hoses plugged, I rotate the distributor so that "24" lines up with the pointer beside the flywheel. That stands for 24 degrees of advance.
The sticker under my hood says the advance should be 24 degrees.

I then plug in the vacuum hoses.-Bob
Hope this helps....

I can't answer the PVC question, my car has a slightly different configuration.....but if you can post a pic, I might be able to answer.

I am running through the search to make certain that i am doing my timing right, however I cannot get a clear picture.

I warm the vehicle up, (fan kicks twice), disconnect and plug the two distributor hoses and where they attach. I read i really only need to do one. I shine the timing light and I see a big "+". Then when i connect the hoses i see the 24. Is that correct or should i see the 24 with the hoses disconnected and connected?

It is not the TDC mark, as that is the very faint "t", correct?

On a side note on cold start up in the air cleaner box, there is a little circular hole next to carb on the driver side, I believe it is a pcv valve or something. However it makes a "Farting" Sound. It is sucking in a lot of air. When the car is warmed up though, no noise from it, however i do not think it is sucking in any air.

HondaLX
02-12-2010, 11:13 PM
so if i am unable to see 24 degrees with the hoses disconnected i have a bad vacuum? Because i lined everything up right. And i can see the 24 degree with the hoses connected, just not when the hoses are disconnected

senor honda
02-13-2010, 03:07 AM
I don't know that you have a bad vacuum. I put in one of those hokey looking
4" dia vac gauges from the A-parts store....wired up a light for it....works as an on-board diagnostic....ares marked red/green for normal usage.
Mounted near the temp controls....if mounted too high, cops think it's a tach and want to talk to you....in my hood....

It's my understanding that distrib timing is set with vac lines plugged...
at 24 degrees for carbed..... My distrib is Hitachi... rotation is clockwise......advancing is by twisting it counter clockwise...once I got it right, I marked it by punching marks in the aluminum with a sharp wood chisel.

If you can't see 24 with lines plugged, rotate distrib until you can....presuming I did mine right... :) I may look it up again when I have time...-Bob

so if i am unable to see 24 degrees with the hoses disconnected i have a bad vacuum? Because i lined everything up right. And i can see the 24 degree with the hoses connected, just not when the hoses are disconnected