PDA

View Full Version : Antenna Block Off

DBMaster
02-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Well, after 21 years of functioning I am pretty sure the plastic antenna actuator that attaches to the motor broke. Stupid me, I was trying to retract it last night to keep it from getting bent from snow accumulation. Really, I never much cared for it and think it's a good thing power antennas are almost extinct. I had to constantly mess with mine and clean and lub the thing to keep it working, but it would still often get stuck halfway up or down and I'd have to reach out the window and "help" it. I would like to remove the thing completely and either go with a hidden antenna or a different style. There seem to be a lot of block off plates available for Civics, but nothing for Accords.

Do any of you know if any of the Civic block off plates will work on our Accords? All the ones I have seen online either look like the wrong shape or have the wrong screw orientation. Mine cannot be pushed down all way right now because it jams about halfway down. At least it still gets me radio reception.

lostforawhile
02-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Well, after 21 years of functioning I am pretty sure the plastic antenna actuator that attaches to the motor broke. Stupid me, I was trying to retract it last night to keep it from getting bent from snow accumulation. Really, I never much cared for it and think it's a good thing power antennas are almost extinct. I had to constantly mess with mine and clean and lub the thing to keep it working, but it would still often get stuck halfway up or down and I'd have to reach out the window and "help" it. I would like to remove the thing completely and either go with a hidden antenna or a different style. There seem to be a lot of block off plates available for Civics, but nothing for Accords.

Do any of you know if any of the Civic block off plates will work on our Accords? All the ones I have seen online either look like the wrong shape or have the wrong screw orientation. Mine cannot be pushed down all way right now because it jams about halfway down. At least it still gets me radio reception. if you can weld, make a steel plate that fits in the recessed area and weld it up, you have to be careful though because sparks will go inside of the A pillar and sometimes come out under the dash. I welded mine up years ago and it looks 100 percent better.

Civic Accord Honda
02-12-2010, 04:41 PM
i think its the CRX/EF civic one that fits, i know someone on here used a civic one.

DBMaster
02-12-2010, 05:30 PM
I'm sure I could learn to weld, but not this time. Worst case, I can remove the mast and plug the little hole, though, that might be a bit ghetto. I guess I'll worry about it after I replace the struts, tires, and the front seal on the P/S pump (it's leaking again after replacing the seal about four years ago.

Bluntman
02-12-2010, 05:53 PM
I just got one from the dealer for a DX. So it just doesn't have the plastic line to the motor. So it is just a manual one. And it has a chrome base.

lostforawhile
02-12-2010, 06:53 PM
I'm sure I could learn to weld, but not this time. Worst case, I can remove the mast and plug the little hole, though, that might be a bit ghetto. I guess I'll worry about it after I replace the struts, tires, and the front seal on the P/S pump (it's leaking again after replacing the seal about four years ago.

I just hate the antenna sticking out of the roof, the in glass ones made the car look so much better, mine is hidden and comes up out of the cowl through a small hole at the rear of the hood. ever thought of mounting the factory antenna somewhere where it comes out of the rear quarter or something?

import racer
02-13-2010, 11:11 AM
A lot of new cars have those shark fin type ones,but i don't know how well they work.

charliekuney
02-13-2010, 11:14 AM
new cars...how well they work.

Question and answer? I don't think auto manufacturers would use them if they didn't work.

DBMaster
02-13-2010, 01:46 PM
I just read the procedure in the shop manual for replacing the mast. If I can't find a block off plate that will work I may just do that. I don't much care for it, but it did last a long time. It's funny that my 72 Pontiac had an antenna in the windshield glass and it sucked. I ended up adding a basic one on the fender that worked much better. Manufacturers went back to more basic antennas for years and now they're switching back to the hidden ones. I guess the designs are improved now over the 70's.

DBMaster
02-14-2010, 10:58 AM
After a lot of wasted time thinking about this I just ordered an OEM manual antenna. I am going to yank the old mast and the motor. The replacement mast for the power antenna is over $100 with shipping. Definitely not worth it for something that has been a PITA for the last twenty years. I will either fabricate or obtain from a J/Y the cover for the switch hole and take that out, too. At least this way it's not a half-ass job.

Since I often had to reach out the window to assist the power antenna the manual one won't be too much different. :)

lostforawhile
02-14-2010, 11:03 AM
After a lot of wasted time thinking about this I just ordered an OEM manual antenna. I am going to yank the old mast and the motor. The replacement mast for the power antenna is over $100 with shipping. Definitely not worth it for something that has been a PITA for the last twenty years. I will either fabricate or obtain from a J/Y the cover for the switch hole and take that out, too. At least this way it's not a half-ass job.

Since I often had to reach out the window to assist the power antenna the manual one won't be too much different. :)if you remind me i probably have that cover

Bluntman
02-14-2010, 11:12 AM

Since I often had to reach out the window to assist the power antenna the manual one won't be too much different. :)

Yes that is the best thing. I did not want to mess with going at the antenna motor, I could do it but it isn't worth it. Mine came with a chrome base. Ordered it for a DX instead of LXi. Comes with gasket and new screws also.

DBMaster
02-14-2010, 11:16 AM
if you remind me i probably have that cover

If you've got a cover I would be happy to send you some money for it. My interior is what Honda calls red (really dark maroon). I can paint it black with Krylon fusion regardless. That would look just fine.

I ordered the manual antenna from Drivewire. It looks just like what I have now.

http://www.drivewire.com/includes/secure/popup.php?type=more&image=L2ltYWdlcy9zaG9wL3Byb2RpbWFnZS9pbWFnZXMvV09S TERQQUMvVzAxMzMxNjMxNDM4SEFSLkpQRw==&title=SGFyYWRhIEFudGVubmE=&text=

DBMaster
02-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Yes that is the best thing. I did not want to mess with going at the antenna motor, I could do it but it isn't worth it. Mine came with a chrome base. Ordered it for a LX instead of LXi. Comes with gasket and new screws also.

Looking in my shop manual it appears that there's only one nut holding the antenna motor. If the cable's not actually broken I may have to access the motor, anyway. I can't push mine down more than halfway right now so there's something in there that's still intact.

lostforawhile
02-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Looking in my shop manual it appears that there's only one nut holding the antenna motor. If the cable's not actually broken I may have to access the motor, anyway. I can't push mine down more than halfway right now so there's something in there that's still intact.

don't throw the motor out i'm sure someone here wants one

Bluntman
02-14-2010, 11:53 AM
If you've got a cover I would be happy to send you some money for it. My interior is what Honda calls red (really dark maroon). I can paint it black with Krylon fusion regardless. That would look just fine.

I ordered the manual antenna from Drivewire. It looks just like what I have now.

http://www.drivewire.com/includes/secure/popup.php?type=more&image=L2ltYWdlcy9zaG9wL3Byb2RpbWFnZS9pbWFnZXMvV09S TERQQUMvVzAxMzMxNjMxNDM4SEFSLkpQRw==&title=SGFyYWRhIEFudGVubmE=&text=

Harada is good and much cheaper.:thumbup:

Bluntman
02-14-2010, 12:01 PM

You can just cut it when you pull the antenna base up, and leave it. No one will know.. Just push the button til the plastic line comes out as far as it will go with the base up . Getting to the motor is a pain. Makes the Main relay look real easy.

DBMaster
02-14-2010, 12:22 PM
You can just cut it when you pull the antenna base up, and leave it. No one will know.. Just push the button til the plastic line comes out as far as it will go with the base up . Getting to the motor is a pain. Makes the Main relay look real easy.

LOL. Yes, the main relay is a bitch. When I replaced mine I removed the bracket from the new one and tied it to some other wires with a zip tie. That's make it much easier for the next time.

Thanks for the tip!