PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical oil pressure unit install

parkersnine
02-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Purchased a Sun Pro mechanical oil pressure sending unit/gauge . Any tips on were to get the plastic line through the firewall and the best place to get the electrical hooked up? What should a healthy 3gee oil pressure be?

lostforawhile
02-12-2010, 07:00 PM
first you need the adapter to go from 1/8 bsp male to 1/8 npt female, the threads where the sender is are bsp. second throw the plastic line in the garbage, don't ask, trust me, use copper, put a couple of coils in it to absorb engine vibration, same with behind the gauge to make it easier to mount. run a line to the firewall, now T it off, one line goes to the gauge, other to the presssure switch. get rid of the factory switch, get something like one from autometer which comes on at a higher pressure like 15 psi, the factory one won't give you a light until about 2-3 psi, if you pm me, and send me postage for a small flat rate box, I'll even send you a piece of AN line and a couple of adapters to run from the engine to firewall, i'm cleaning my garage and I have several used pieces with machine crimped ends

parkersnine
02-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Well..Thanks for reply but I am a little confused. First I need 1/8 BSP male adapter to go into the oil filter housing unit were existing sending unit is located.
Second..Use the copper-got that
Third..Well get the sending unit mounted but unclear what adapters you refer to and what is AN line...

lostforawhile
02-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Well..Thanks for reply but I am a little confused. First I need 1/8 BSP male adapter to go into the oil filter housing unit were existing sending unit is located.
Second..Use the copper-got that
Third..Well get the sending unit mounted but unclear what adapters you refer to and what is AN line...
Ill try to explain in a bit and i'll look up the part number on the adapter at MSC

parkersnine
02-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks .. Any help is appreciated...

parkersnine
02-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Well, looked up MSC and called them and no go..I looked up part number 8443382. Called too but struck out. Then looked on Sunpro website and they have a metric adaptor kit number cp7573. Its M10x1.0 to 1/8 npt plus m12x1.0 to 1/8 npt;14x1.0 to 1/8 npt and 16x1.0 to 1/8 npt. Will this work?

lostforawhile
02-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Well, looked up MSC and called them and no go..I looked up part number 8443382. Called too but struck out. Then looked on Sunpro website and they have a metric adaptor kit number cp7573. Its M10x1.0 to 1/8 npt plus m12x1.0 to 1/8 npt;14x1.0 to 1/8 npt and 16x1.0 to 1/8 npt. Will this work?

it's 1/8 bsp msc has it let me go look in my big book i've ordered it from them several times

lostforawhile
02-13-2010, 10:29 AM
you need msc order number 84433382 in this book it's 5.42$ it may be more or less now

you apparently can't directly link to a page on their site go to msc.com and in the part number search past that part number and it will come up

ecogabriel
02-13-2010, 01:55 PM
first you need the adapter to go from 1/8 bsp male to 1/8 npt female, the threads where the sender is are bsp. second throw the plastic line in the garbage, don't ask, trust me, use copper, put a couple of coils in it to absorb engine vibration, same with behind the gauge to make it easier to mount. run a line to the firewall, now T it off, one line goes to the gauge, other to the presssure switch. get rid of the factory switch, get something like one from autometer which comes on at a higher pressure like 15 psi, the factory one won't give you a light until about 2-3 psi, if you pm me, and send me postage for a small flat rate box, I'll even send you a piece of AN line and a couple of adapters to run from the engine to firewall, i'm cleaning my garage and I have several used pieces with machine crimped ends

I have two mechanical oil pressure gauges collecting dust because I could not find where to get a braided hose that would go from where the pressure oil sender threads to the engine to the firewall. I once installed a T connector directly on the engine... stupid, STUPID idea: it broke after a couple of months :uh:
The NPT threaded T can be sourced from a hardware store. But I did not know that the oil pressure sender thread is not NPT (I never took it out)
If you have hoses that you may not need let me know about details and we'll work out something; I may get a second one for my 5G Civic if it uses the same thread in the oil pressure sender as the 3G Accord (I'll have to check this out)

lostforawhile
02-13-2010, 02:39 PM
I have two mechanical oil pressure gauges collecting dust because I could not find where to get a braided hose that would go from where the pressure oil sender threads to the engine to the firewall. I once installed a T connector directly on the engine... stupid, STUPID idea: it broke after a couple of months :uh:
The NPT threaded T can be sourced from a hardware store. But I did not know that the oil pressure sender thread is not NPT (I never took it out)
If you have hoses that you may not need let me know about details and we'll work out something; I may get a second one for my 5G Civic if it uses the same thread in the oil pressure sender as the 3G Accord (I'll have to check this out)
you need the adapter i showed in the previous thread, it will screw right in to the oil pressure sender hole, you can screw in an npt fitting, but why fubar the threads? the difference between npt and bsp is one thread per inch. just enough to cross thread the hole. I'll see what i've got, i have several pieces around I think, they are black hoses but braided under the black cloth and regular AN threads like any aeroquip hose. I'm pretty sure the 5 g is bsp too, they may still be to this day. it's a common thread honda uses on it's oil pressure senders and a lot of smaller temp senders.

ecogabriel
02-13-2010, 03:09 PM
you need the adapter i showed in the previous thread, it will screw right in to the oil pressure sender hole, you can screw in an npt fitting, but why fubar the threads? the difference between npt and bsp is one thread per inch. just enough to cross thread the hole. I'll see what i've got, i have several pieces around I think, they are black hoses but braided under the black cloth and regular AN threads like any aeroquip hose. I'm pretty sure the 5 g is bsp too, they may still be to this day. it's a common thread honda uses on it's oil pressure senders and a lot of smaller temp senders.

You are right; if the oil pressure sender has a different thread than NPT then the t-adaptor I have is useless... at least it was cheap.... what t... was I thinking??? :uh:
I was originally looking for any kind of flexible hose. I thought about braided hose because that was what I got when I fixed my botched gauge installation., and because it may offer some extra protection against friction (I can wrap it up with other hose anyway) Anything that would allowto attach the T connector where is isolated from engine vibration/movement is OK; I'm not doing this for the looks just for the function...
I suspect 5G Civic has the same thread; it would be nice to get a oil sender with higher pressure threshold since I would be at it...
I'll look into the adaptor you said. Thanks

lostforawhile
02-13-2010, 03:30 PM
You are right; if the oil pressure sender has a different thread than NPT then the t-adaptor I have is useless... at least it was cheap.... what t... was I thinking??? :uh:
I was originally looking for any kind of flexible hose. I thought about braided hose because that was what I got when I fixed my botched gauge installation., and because it may offer some extra protection against friction (I can wrap it up with other hose anyway) Anything that would allowto attach the T connector where is isolated from engine vibration/movement is OK; I'm not doing this for the looks just for the function...
I suspect 5G Civic has the same thread; it would be nice to get a oil sender with higher pressure threshold since I would be at it...
I'll look into the adaptor you said. ThanksI would trash the factory sender and replace it with an autometer one or something like it, the factory one is only 2-3 psi, just high enough to say your engine is about to blow up. if you get one around 15 psi you have a lot more warning, if the factory is a single wire, they all work the same way. just about all after market senders are 1/8 npt

ecogabriel
02-13-2010, 04:26 PM
If I'm driving say, 70 that is somewhere close to 3k rpm. If the oil warning light comes on, then I can kiss the engine bearings goodbye.
I installed a oil pressure gauge in all the cars I previously owned and never thought the light again. It would be an extra insurance getting a diffferent sender though. And yes, factory ones are single wired so no problems...

lostforawhile
02-13-2010, 04:30 PM
If I'm driving say, 70 that is somewhere close to 3k rpm. If the oil warning light comes on, then I can kiss the engine bearings goodbye.
I installed a oil pressure gauge in all the cars I previously owned and never thought the light again. It would be an extra insurance getting a diffferent sender though. And yes, factory ones are single wired so no problems...
I always t in a switch for the light just in case you don't notice the gauge, i just sent you a pm on the hose

parkersnine
02-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Well.. Located the part(adaptor) you referred to in the previous thread on the msc website. Its gone up to 6.17 plus 10.98 shipping plus tax. Beats messed up threads!Going to order it. Any suggestions on the best place to mount the unit taking into consideration the copper line reduces the flexibility of were it can easily be mounted. Do I have to install some sort of T in the line as someone else mentioned ? Was this because of mounting location?

lostforawhile
02-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Well.. Located the part(adaptor) you referred to in the previous thread on the msc website. Its gone up to 6.17 plus 10.98 shipping plus tax. Beats messed up threads!Going to order it. Any suggestions on the best place to mount the unit taking into consideration the copper line reduces the flexibility of were it can easily be mounted. Do I have to install some sort of T in the line as someone else mentioned ? Was this because of mounting location?
i will see if i have a hose with ends for you, then you can t it at the firewall and run copper line to the gauge in the car. you will need a different sender because the factory one is bsp threads, unless i make you something, i'll see what I can do

lostforawhile
02-13-2010, 04:55 PM
this is my setup in the cowl area, you can't see the switch because it's out of view at the bottom http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd158/lostforawhile/S4020084-1.jpg

parkersnine
02-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the picture...I am still a little confused . I bought a cheapie Sun Pro unit@ Advance.. Looks like your lines are much larger. All I thought I had to do was put that part we discussed from msc in the spot were the factory sending unit was near the oil filter . Then the copper tube goes in through the firewall to the gauge that will be mounted who knows were..btw see you are in South Ga. I am Up here in North Ga mountains...

lostforawhile
02-13-2010, 05:47 PM
mine is a lot different, i'm running all AN stuff is why, those are aluminum tubing not the braided line, what you need to do is screw the adapter into where the oil pressure sender is, then you connect a line from there to the firewall, and attach your T fitting at the firewall on the engine side, you do this because there's not room for a T on top of the oil filter base. you put the T at the firewall. I'm looking for a reasonably priced oil pressure warning light sender now I think this on might work, but I need the specs on it , it's 1/8 npt which will work with a standard T fitting ,one side of the t goes to the sender, other side to your copper line to the gauge. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ALM-181102/

lostforawhile
02-13-2010, 05:53 PM
the idea is to run the line away from the engine before you add any fittings, this is where the line would attach at the oil filter adapter, the top line and 90 degree fitting http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd158/lostforawhile/S4020317-1.jpg

parkersnine
02-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Lostforawhile..Did you hook up the light to the original electrical connections so it comes on in the instrument cluster? My original light never fuctioned. Actually purchased a new sending unit but it did not resolve it . Please pm again. Blocker was on.

lostforawhile
02-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Lostforawhile..Did you hook up the light to the original electrical connections so it comes on in the instrument cluster? My original light never fuctioned. Actually purchased a new sending unit but it did not resolve it . Please pm again. Blocker was on.
there should be a single wire going to the sender, there is supposed to be some sort of control unit to make it flash, but i've never figured that out, if you ground the wire at the sender, the light should come on.

ecogabriel
02-13-2010, 07:33 PM
there should be a single wire going to the sender, there is supposed to be some sort of control unit to make it flash, but i've never figured that out, if you ground the wire at the sender, the light should come on.

Mine never flashed; it just comes on. There may be an issue with the wiring; grounding the wire that goes to the sender should turn the light on... unless the light in the dashboard is broken or missing... I heard of a guy that got sick of the PGM-FI light and just removed the light bulb... :jaw:

89T
02-13-2010, 07:38 PM
It comes on when you're low on oil pressure.
it flickers while driving when the oil pressure fluctuates because of oil level.
lol!

ecogabriel
02-13-2010, 07:52 PM
Summitracing has the adapter too

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-2269/

I may order from them together with a new sender.

lostforawhile
02-13-2010, 08:07 PM
It comes on when you're low on oil pressure.
it flickers while driving when the oil pressure fluctuates because of oil level.
lol!

there's a warning light flasher unit on some models, it's on the wiring diagram. I think the reason is it's supposed to tell you of a tranient low pressure that is too brief for you to notice

Oldblueaccord
02-14-2010, 01:29 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61740&highlight=Temp+sensors&page=2

there some pics here too. Personally i use an electrical sender and run a few wires and be done with it.

wp