PDA

View Full Version : opinions on how high HP accord drive please

mykwikcoupe
02-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Im asking in a general piont not in a performance standard but the accord in general wasnt biult around a huge powerplant or heavy suspension or anything so Im wondering for those that have biult the engines or modified the trans enough to have an opinion, how do you like it.

I ask becuase Ive made the decision to go back to the original chioce of turbo for my JDM B20a. Ive repaid everyone and my coupe project can finally start again. With me working hopefully in a few weeks Ill have enough to start buying parts again. Nothing like I used to but that okay as well.

The turbo is a T# 60/63 and i forget the trim. Accordepicenter might now since hes the last one that touched it 5 years ago. From reading it looks like top power to be in the 280 range. Not major power compared to other (wickedaccord, Johnny O, etc) but alot more then stock. Im wondering how the chassis adapts and if the power is really that useful? Ive got a lsd installed and a clutch thats too tight for thor but curious if the power is laid to the ground with ease and the car jumps from its seat and launches like a rocket or if it acts like a jet powered slug and torque steers out of control, really just worhless?

Ive owned alot of high power cras, bikes and such but never a FWD. Ill be getting rid of my thunderbird one day (ZACK hurry up) and would like my accord to take over where it leaves off. The thunderbird was an elegant poet, smooth and rich. Great to drive, handled with carisma but if you flipped the suspension to sport and used the supercharger it would turn to jekyll and rumble to life, pass anything in an instant and had power to 140mph from a stop. The comparision I think is justified. A 3800 lbs 310hp 350ft lbs lead ballon vs a 280 hp 2800 lbs accord. help please.

89T
02-13-2010, 04:20 PM
I find on 205/17's the power is there as long as you are rolling, but from a stop it is worthless. I have not tried any other tire except for slicks and BFG drag radials. The drag radials are not bad on the street, and you still get wheel spin if their not heated up. The 17's on a curve with a lsd is fun but dangerous.... The front end likes to come out from under you. So the only way to justify the power is pure fun. I will admit I would like to try a road coarse but I'd hate to fight the car around every turn.
My car is built for straight line racing so it's no surprise that it sucks in the turns. lol!

I hope that was helpful.

mykwikcoupe
02-13-2010, 04:30 PM
that was very helpful and Id like to clarify and ask a few brain pionts. Why does the car to come up from under you? Ive used that term on a motorcycle when turning as in powersliding the rear end around the apex but on a front wheel car?

When you say rolling start you mean compared to a high rpm drop or just powering on from a stop?

as in curve and lsd you mean powering through the curve and the lsd lets go? Thats not how its supposed to work right? Both wheels travel at the same speed but the lsd lets the outside wheel freespin faster then it is driving. Am I wrong with how I translate lsd from a FWD car vs a rwd car? Thanks and yes that very helpful. How did your tunerview turn out? Did you ever install it.

89T
02-13-2010, 05:04 PM
that was very helpful and Id like to clarify and ask a few brain points. Why does the car to come up from under you? Ive used that term on a motorcycle when turning as in power sliding the rear end around the apex but on a front wheel car?
My bad, have you ever ridden on a sandy road or a dirt track and went to make a turn and the front slides out? that's the feeling i get. I ride dirt bikes so that was the best analogy or best way to let you know what it feels like.

When you say rolling start you mean compared to a high rpm drop or just powering on from a stop?

powering from a stop or a drop.. My clutch is frickin hard so i have to keep the rpms up to keep from stalling on any take off...lol! it's either on or off!
You are either spinning or stalling it lol..
starting on Turns leads to wheel spin as well.

as in curve and LSD you mean powering through the curve and the LSD lets go? the opposite, it holds and the tires let go.

Thats not how its supposed to work right?
it should slip on a turn to a point..
I put mine in tight as hell, so mine does not slip so well... It's almost always locked..

Both wheels travel at the same speed but the LSD lets the outside wheel free spin faster then it is driving. Am I wrong with how I translate LSD from a FWD car vs a rwd car? Thanks and yes that very helpful. How did your tunerview turn out? Did you ever install it.

that's how it's supposed to work but as i stated mine is tight and the inside tire under heavy load tends to spin then the other tire looses traction because it is :uh: the only tire holding the line.?. brain fart.

Tuner veiw... need to buy it still.

mykwikcoupe
02-13-2010, 06:14 PM
sweet thanks. I actually spent most of the day getting the rear of my ninja out from under me. im trying to teach myself to take a corner and keep the ass end loose and outside the line. Not optimal for performance or tire longevetiy but it sure is fun when its done right.

I understand now. Thanks for the clarifying. What lsd are you using. Phantom? Mines a quaife unit.

89T
02-13-2010, 06:30 PM
OK! so you spent the day drifting so to speak. Now take the feeling you had and look down and put it in front of you instead of behind you! It turns from exhilaration into fear. Well till you get use to it that is.
It is like anything else you get use to it and you learn how to control it.

mine is a phantom..