PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the hybrid trans!!

hammer3rd
02-16-2010, 11:58 AM
I am looking to swap a 5 speed in 88 sedan and have read many posts and threads about this. What I can't seem to find is if I can use the accord final drive ratio(4.066) with the teg 1st-4th gears. I don't really want the rpms of the teg final drive ratio(4.266). If anyone has any info please help. My wish is teg 1st-4th with 4.066 final drive and accord 5th with an lsd.

charliekuney
02-16-2010, 12:40 PM
It's possible: a few people have done the Teg 1-4 with the Accord fifth.

cubert
02-16-2010, 12:54 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7387

hammer3rd
02-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks but already read. I am asking about the final drive ratio. I want to keep the accord (4.066) not the teg (4.266).

JohnBoy
02-16-2010, 02:17 PM
you can get 1-4 from the teg 5th from accord and take the b-series lsd with the accord ring gear. yes i believe you can

hammer3rd
02-16-2010, 04:33 PM
you can get 1-4 from the teg 5th from accord and take the b-series lsd with the accord ring gear. yes i believe you can

That is good to hear. 4.2 ia a little low for a daily driver. Does any know the ratios for the 1st gen teg. I have gotten two different #'s for them. One says 3.181 like the accord and one says 3.2 something. Can any one tell me the right one.

cubert
02-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Replace 5th gear. You can use either the Accord or the Integra 5th gear. I recommend the Accord 5th for cars that see a lot highway driving.

Straight from the link I posted...

hammer3rd
02-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Straight from the link I posted...
Not quite. The link you posted didnt say anything about being able to the accord ring gear. But thanks for your help anyway.

Big thanks to Phydeaux for writing this up!!
Official 3rd Gen Accord 1st Gen Integra Hybrid Transmission How-To.

Parts List: 3rd gen Accord or post `86 2nd gen Prelude transmission bell housing. Si for a 2.0L style flywheel, or DX for a 1.8L style.
1st gen Integra (86-89) transmission

Optional:
Rebuild kit Accord 5th gear assembly Phantom Grip limited slip conversion

I am going to assume that you have already removed the transmission from your car, your car was originally equipped with a 5speed, you have a haynes manual or other guide to help with the actual disassembly and reassebmly of the transmission, and you know how to reinstall the transmission. If not take a look at the other howto's.

Step 1. Clean you parts. Give both of your transmissions a quick cleaning to get all of the loose grease and crap off. They don’t need to be spotless, but you don’t want any of the crap to fall into the case when you reassemble the transmission.

Step 2. Disassemble the Accord transmission. Start with this transmission first, since you will only be using the bell housing a mistake here will be less costly. Its best to have a Haynes manual in front of you for this, they give good detailed instructions with pictures. Place all the parts off to the side where they won’t be confused with the Integra parts. Take the transmission completely apart (you don’t have to worry about removing the shift rod, but it makes cleaning easier).

Step 3. Disassemble the Integra transmission. It’s the same as the Accords, remember how the Accord transmission came apart and try to avoid any mistakes you made last time. Make note of how everything sat so you can put it back together. Parts, especially ones on the shafts, can’t be placed back in upside down.

Step 4. Inspect your parts. Take a look at all the parts you plan to use, make sure that they don’t show signs of excessive wear etc. It’s best to have someone with experience look at the parts. The Accord and Integra syncros are interchangeable.

Step 5. Clean your parts again. Clean out the inside of the case and all of the gears. Get all the metal shavings off the magnet, all the crap out of all the crevices, etc. Make sure that no crap has gotten into the gears, their bearings, or syncros. If you do remove the gears from the shafts make sure to remember exactly how they go back together, things won’t work right if they are upside down (make special note of the slider on the 3rd-4th syncro).

Step 6. Optional, install the phantom grip. If you plan on ever using a phantom grip or any other lsd, now is the time to install it else you’ll have to go through this again.

Step 7. Reassembling the transmission. If you have a rebuild kit use it. The bearings are pretty beefy and were still good even in my ‘85 transmission, but new ones give piece of mind. It goes back together the same way it came apart. Here’s a list of the parts you want to use.
Bell housing and shifting mechanism, Accord
Differential and ring gear, Integra
Main and counter shafts, Integra
Shift forks can come from either trans
Assemble the transmission to the point that you are ready to put the case on.

Step 8. Double-check your work. Look over everything. Make sure that all the gears line up. Make sure that when all the sliders are sitting in neutral that they are all at even heights where they meet the selector. Have someone one else with experience look at it too just to be sure. There is nothing like putting it all back in the car and then finding out you have no 4th gear or something else awry.

Step 9. Finish assembling the case. Make sure it’s free of oil and run a bead of rtv silicon around the mating surface of the case, smoothing it out with your finger. Place the transmission in 3rd gear (pull the shift rod strait out), this little trick makes it a whole lot easier to put the case back on. Slide the case over all the rods, don’t force it, just wiggle it around until it slides down into place. You should be able to use either the Accord or Integra case. I didn’t try the Accords, but the 85 Prelude case doesn’t work. Its best to use the Integra case though, as funstick mentioned when he saw it the oil holes are huge. It should help keep 5th gear alive. Put a few of the bolts in to hold the case down.

Step 10. More double-checking. Place the trans in every gear. Looking at the trans from the back turn the rod counter clockwise and pull it out for first, counter clockwise and push in for second, pull out strait for 3rd, push in strait for 4th, clockwise and pull out for 5th, and clockwise and push in for reverse. Make sure it goes into every gear. It will be hard to move the shaft esp. for reverse. Turn the input in every gear to make sure that every gear engages and turns, except 5th because you haven’t installed that one yet.

Step 11. Final assembly. Put the rest of the case bolts in and tighten them good (22 ft-lbs). Replace 5th gear. You can use either the Accord or the Integra 5th gear. I recommend the Accord 5th for cars that see a lot highway driving. Replace the nuts and torque them to 65ft-lbs. Don’t forget that the main shaft is reverse threaded, and make sure to lock each into the groove with a punch. Check one more time to be sure that 5th gear engages. Spread rtv around the mating surface and bolt on the end cover.

charliekuney
02-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Not quite. The link you posted didnt say anything about being able to the accord ring gear.

The quote he posted was from the link.

hammer3rd
02-17-2010, 01:43 AM
The quote he posted was from the link.

?????????

Step 7. Reassembling the transmission. If you have a rebuild kit use it. The bearings are pretty beefy and were still good even in my ‘85 transmission, but new ones give piece of mind. It goes back together the same way it came apart. Here’s a list of the parts you want to use.
Bell housing and shifting mechanism, Accord
Differential and ring gear, Integra
Main and counter shafts, Integra
Shift forks can come from either trans
Assemble the transmission to the point that you are ready to put the case on

I am asking about the ring gear(final drive ratio) from the accord. I had alreday read this post and a few others but no one said (that I can find,reason for this post) Anything about being able to use tha accord ring gear.

LX-incredible
02-17-2010, 11:38 PM
It may be possible to to keep the accord final drive. You will obviously need to use the accord countershaft and ring gear. Should work as all other gears on the counter are removable and interchangeable with the teg. You will need the teg mainshaft for the integra gears.

Accord:
Countershaft
Differential
5th gear

Integra:
Mainshaft
1-4

Final drive is not 5th gear people!

JohnBoy
02-18-2010, 12:14 AM
not for sure be isn't the final drive is all the gears for the tran and ring combind? my uncle explaned it to me when we were working on the race car but i for got.

MessyHonda
02-18-2010, 12:35 AM
if you keep the accord final drive i dont think it would make a difference...i love my hybrid trans

hammer3rd
02-18-2010, 03:22 AM
Thanks guys for all your help. I will look into what you said LX about the main shaft. LX and Messy. What rpm are you turning @ freeway speeds. I turn 3000 @ 75 with the current auto and dont mind going up a little but dont want to turn like 4000 lol.

MessyHonda
02-19-2010, 02:42 AM
i will check but i think i do 3000 rpm at 70-75mph...this is with a 205/50/15 tire

hammer3rd
02-19-2010, 06:03 AM
Looking foward to seeing. Thanks