PDA

View Full Version : What spring rates....

mushroom_toy
02-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Should I get on the Ksports I order? I want a pretty stiff ride with good handling, I can adjust the struts of course, but still want a great amount of control. Should I just go with their stock spring rates or order a custom set?

2drSE-i
02-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Their regular ones are 672lbs front, 392 rear. I think thats gonna be plenty honestly.

mushroom_toy
02-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Their regular ones are 672lbs front, 392 rear. I think thats gonna be plenty honestly.

Hmm i may up the rear....:)

2drSE-i
02-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Hmm i may up the rear....:)

You gonna stick more weight in the rear? Our rear ends don't weight anything.

mushroom_toy
02-17-2010, 09:58 PM
Maybe for the towing haha. :)

Now to find a place to order the ksports cheap.

Rendon LX-i
02-17-2010, 10:34 PM
ebay. honestly the D2s are cheapER and do the same shit luke.

Tdurr
02-17-2010, 10:44 PM
I've heard good thing about D2's luke. check IA about info on them.

mushroom_toy
02-17-2010, 11:19 PM
I know this fools. Ksports is my loose term haha. No ebay I hate ebay. I want to order from a real store lol.

Rendon LX-i
02-17-2010, 11:26 PM
LOL......ebay the shit yo. A its from D2 but there just selling em on ebay. make sense. there cheaper there to.

mushroom_toy
02-18-2010, 08:21 AM
Ebays 800 bucks...apparently we can get it for 725 shipped but iom still researching.

markmdz89hatch
02-21-2010, 08:52 PM
keep us updated on your progress with this Luke. Once you get these, and dump those top-hats' I promise you'll understand why I've been preaching that pairing proper spring rates with proper shocks is a must. If you like the feel of the ride on your Sprints, just ask them to dupe that same rate (front and back), but understand the car will be MUCH tighter with the KSports and will make your teeth chatter on bumps.

mushroom_toy
02-22-2010, 12:42 PM
keep us updated on your progress with this Luke. Once you get these, and dump those top-hats' I promise you'll understand why I've been preaching that pairing proper spring rates with proper shocks is a must. If you like the feel of the ride on your Sprints, just ask them to dupe that same rate (front and back), but understand the car will be MUCH tighter with the KSports and will make your teeth chatter on bumps.

Whose running sprints? :ugh: :)

Lol Ive got ef coils. But yeah Im still working on pricing at the moment. Talked to the guy from carolinahondas...and he said d2 isnt making em anymore and that only ksport makes em now. So he gave me a quote for $800 shipped for ksports....trying to find a better deal at th moment. Ill def. keep ya updated.

Also im hoping the chassis can handle the spring rates....sometimes i feel like im killing it when hitting potholes/dropoffs, with 450lb front and 350lb rear. Guess well see.

2ndGenGuy
02-22-2010, 05:03 PM
No matter what spring rates you get, none of those struts will likely be valved to match any of them. Here's a ksport dyno graph if you're interested in how "awesome" they are. Even with the adjustability, they'll likely never match up.

http://www.msprotege.com/members/Jeff@Tri-Point/KsportFrontFinal.jpg
http://www.msprotege.com/members/Jeff@Tri-Point/KsportRearFinal.jpg

As you can see on the front shock dyno, shock 1 will have to be turned near max, and shock 2 near minimum to even match up. The rears won't ever match on this particular set. Maybe you'll get lucky and get a matching set, but I doubt it. You see Ksport reps popping into forums to "back up" their product, then never provide any data.

mushroom_toy
02-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Well honestly theres not really any other alternatives for a full bodied coilover in this price range?

MessyHonda
02-23-2010, 05:08 PM
so the k sports are not the best?

how can you tune them?

2drSE-i
02-23-2010, 05:09 PM
Well honestly theres not really any other alternatives for a full bodied coilover in this price range?

D2's

:D

Too bad they are exactly the same huh :kekeke:

mykwikcoupe
02-23-2010, 09:32 PM
who have you all contacted for a price quote? adam is the guy phillie bought his from? ksport directly? any other local suppliers?

2ndGenGuy
02-24-2010, 12:09 AM
I'm not sure what the big hoopla is about a "full bodied coilover." It's the same thing as a strut with a threaded sleeve welded to it, but these guys annodize them and put a useless adjuster knob on the top. You don't have many options but waiting and spending your money on something quality would be the way to go. Hell, whatever you have on your car now is probably going to handle better. Just because it's a coilover doesn't mean it's better than a good strut / spring setup. And without a dyno sheet, you really have no way of knowing if your struts will be properly valved for the springs you get.

Basically, buying something like this is like throwing your money down the toilet. That's all it is. Might as well buy a KYB, Koni, Tokiko and Honda strut and put them all on different corners, because that's basically what you're doing. Don't just buy them because they're a coilover.

Also, a lot of FWD drivers are using higher springrates in the rear. The reasoning I haven't researched yet, and seems sort of counter-intuitive, but it's definitely something you should look into.

mushroom_toy
02-24-2010, 08:03 AM
I'm not sure what the big hoopla is about a "full bodied coilover." It's the same thing as a strut with a threaded sleeve welded to it, but these guys annodize them and put a useless adjuster knob on the top. You don't have many options but waiting and spending your money on something quality would be the way to go. Hell, whatever you have on your car now is probably going to handle better. Just because it's a coilover doesn't mean it's better than a good strut / spring setup. And without a dyno sheet, you really have no way of knowing if your struts will be properly valved for the springs you get.

Basically, buying something like this is like throwing your money down the toilet. That's all it is. Might as well buy a KYB, Koni, Tokiko and Honda strut and put them all on different corners, because that's basically what you're doing. Don't just buy them because they're a coilover.

Also, a lot of FWD drivers are using higher springrates in the rear. The reasoning I haven't researched yet, and seems sort of counter-intuitive, but it's definitely something you should look into.

If you can find me a full set of New revalved konis with a good sleeve for less than $800 ill buy them right now. :) Or new bilsteins for that matter. Also with just a spring and strut combo I cant get as low as Im running now.

As far as the rear being set up that way its just to promote oversteer. Trying to accomplish about a 50/50 split from front to back...but its very hard in a fwd car.

Having a car wish softer rates and a bigger rear bar though accomplishes the same thing. When Im driving in the mountains hard my front goes first, but my rear is soon to follow if/when i lose traction. XD

mushroom_toy
02-24-2010, 08:06 AM
who have you all contacted for a price quote? adam is the guy phillie bought his from? ksport directly? any other local suppliers?\

Contacted triple r performance or whatever through carolinahondas. They gave me a quote for $800 shipped on the ksports and said d2s arent made anymore.

markmdz89hatch
02-24-2010, 08:42 AM
yeah the main reason it putting brick-stiff springs out back is to get the FWD car very ass-happy. Combine this will slightly less stiff front end and you have the ability to keep both front tires on a good contact patch because it'll allow the front to flex a bit under heavy corner loading. This, along with the stiffer ass end will make the rear want to break traction sooner (greatly reducing rear traction and the 'push' notorious with FWD cars which is the major factor causing understeer). Once the traction breaks, or just is lessened, the front end will basically just want to 'pull' the car through turns but you'll have to re-learn the FWD driving experience because it'll mean needing to keep the ass from coming around. Remember, loose is fast right.

I'm dying to actually put that theory to practical application this summer once I get my damn heap-o-shit on the road again. We'll have to see though.

2ndGenGuy
02-24-2010, 10:15 AM
If you can find me a full set of New revalved konis with a good sleeve for less than $800 ill buy them right now. :) Or new bilsteins for that matter. Also with just a spring and strut combo I cant get as low as Im running now.

What kind of logic is that? That's like saying you're going to put a 90hp Geo Metro race motor in your car because it's cheaper than a Turbo A20. But you're justifying it because it's a race motor, so it's somehow better even though it's performance may not even be on par with a stock A20?

Explain to me what exactly you think you're going to get out of these that you won't get out of your current setup with different springs. What exactly are you getting for $800?

Adjustability? Rubbish.
Ride height? You already have sleeves right?
Proper valving? You have no way of knowing.

But I digress. I guess they are pretty flash.

mushroom_toy
02-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Well thats what Im asking...if Im not gonna be getting anything better out of them, then Ill spend the $800 on a new camera or something.

2ndGenGuy
02-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Oh yeah. That would be money better spent IMO. :)

But don't just take my word for it.

mushroom_toy
02-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Hmm Im thinking I might just pics up a set of used EF full bodied coilovers cheap and buy a camera lol.

LX-incredible
02-25-2010, 01:01 AM
Being the one of the only ones on here actually running ksports or any fullbody for that matter, I have to chime in.

Honestly, I'm pleased for the most part. So far they have held up for 15k without problems or readjustment, the car handles much better than stock (yes I have had all new OEM bushings, struts and springs), and they come complete as an assembled unit. You are not going to find anything better at their cost. You'll easily find yourself at $700+ for a decent set of springs, honda bushings, hardware, and a set of bills. That doesn't include the revalving either...

They are a bit stiff, especially for the rear. I plan to go with some softer spring rates on the next set for the SE-i. I'm not pleased at all with how they expect you to mount the front brake lines, but have found a solution that works perfectly with ss lines.

Basically if you just want to be beantastically low (90% on here) go with some tokicos and cheap ebay springs/coilovers. If you want that "BMW handling ride" find someone to engineer a custom setup that will likely cost 3 times what your car is worth. If you like your nice, smooth stock ride, keep it stock. If you're like me and want something that is a nice improvement over just about anything available and leaves something behind to be spent elsewhere, the ksports aren't a bad bet.

Is there anyone on here that is 100% pleased with their suspension setup anyway?

mykwikcoupe
02-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Im curious, if I like the ride qualoty of the sprint springs but would like to be lower, would I be alright if i ordered a set with the same spring rates as the sprints? I see everyone posting super stiff rates but thats just crazy? I would like a bit of a firm sporty ride but i also dont want new kidneys or back surgery after riding in the car? Maybe find a middle ground mathmatically between what the ksports are stock and sprints and hope this helps? Mark where are you?

mykwikcoupe
02-25-2010, 04:44 PM
The link phillie posted (adam) said we can get them for 779 shipped

mushroom_toy
02-25-2010, 05:10 PM
The link phillie posted (adam) said we can get them for 779 shipped

Nah. You cant more than likely. Present day cheapest ive found was $800 Shipped.

mushroom_toy
02-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Being the one of the only ones on here actually running ksports or any fullbody for that matter, I have to chime in.

Honestly, I'm pleased for the most part. So far they have held up for 15k without problems or readjustment, the car handles much better than stock (yes I have had all new OEM bushings, struts and springs), and they come complete as an assembled unit. You are not going to find anything better at their cost. You'll easily find yourself at $700+ for a decent set of springs, honda bushings, hardware, and a set of bills. That doesn't include the revalving either...

They are a bit stiff, especially for the rear. I plan to go with some softer spring rates on the next set for the SE-i. I'm not pleased at all with how they expect you to mount the front brake lines, but have found a solution that works perfectly with ss lines.

Basically if you just want to be beantastically low (90% on here) go with some tokicos and cheap ebay springs/coilovers. If you want that "BMW handling ride" find someone to engineer a custom setup that will likely cost 3 times what your car is worth. If you like your nice, smooth stock ride, keep it stock. If you're like me and want something that is a nice improvement over just about anything available and leaves something behind to be spent elsewhere, the ksports aren't a bad bet.

Is there anyone on here that is 100% pleased with their suspension setup anyway?

Technically youre not the only one, just teh only one with the exact kit. :)

mykwikcoupe
02-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Nah. You cant more than likely. Present day cheapest ive found was $800 Shipped.

got that quote yesterday!!!

mushroom_toy
02-25-2010, 08:17 PM
got that quote yesterday!!!

Oh ok then, you got it from a shop? make sure because everywhere I checked said the d2s were out of production, but they could get ksports for 800

LX-incredible
02-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Technically youre not the only one, just teh only one with the exact kit. :)

Yes, that's why I said "one of the only ones".

mykwikcoupe
02-26-2010, 02:58 AM
Oh ok then, you got it from a shop? make sure because everywhere I checked said the d2s were out of production, but they could get ksports for 800

Yes it came from the link on phillies 1st page. Its only 20 bucks cheaper but a shop. Thats what it looks like anyways.

http://www.maperformance.com/

his aim name is adamatmap

mushroom_toy
02-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Oh well i think Im going a different route now. I can find a good set of used coils and struts here that I can use and save a lot of cash...so i might be doing this.