PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Power Steering lines

88WhiteLX-i
10-06-2002, 06:53 PM
Iam thinking about fixing my power steering lines that run in fron of my radiator. THey leak all the time and some times when I start up my car and run for a few minutes the power steering fluid leaks on the radiator and the shit smokes and make a fucking nasty smell. So Iam wondering what the hell is involved in fixing this, like how much are new lines, and is it possible to pull them out and put new ones in by just pulling out the radiator??? Iam alos wondering that once I pull out the lines off the resovoir the fluid will leak out, doo I just re-fill Idon't have to bleed it or anything?? Please help me anyone else that has done this before, because I sick of this shit leaking......:mad: :mad: :mad:

89AccordNate
10-06-2002, 07:02 PM
I dont know, but minimize your 9 mile long signature, you know no one reads that, right?!

Nate.

88WhiteLX-i
10-06-2002, 07:20 PM
Need help on the power steering lines smart ass. Not opinions.

Love,

Me

Dutchboy
10-06-2002, 08:18 PM
go to the wreckers...thats going to be the cheapest and easiest option.
or else try tightning the connections if thats were its leaking from.
Ben

1988starter
10-07-2002, 02:16 PM
Jack up your car put it on jack stands take of the hose on your ps resovwar and drain out the fluis (look in the faq). Then take of the hose from the pump and remove the bottom half from under your car it has a shield after that just install a new one it has some weird curves and can be a pain in the ass but oh well. I bought a aftermarket one for 40 bucks and took me 45 min to install. look in the faq for bleading instructions.

Mantis88LX
10-07-2002, 03:30 PM
i may be able to get you one tommorow, make a offer and u can have it plus pay shipping. ill check tommorow and let u know if i find one

ACCORD EX
10-07-2002, 04:37 PM
new hoses are very expensive just liek A/C hoses ! :(

MIKE

88WhiteLX-i
10-07-2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by 1988starter
Jack up your car put it on jack stands take of the hose on your ps resovwar and drain out the fluis (look in the faq). Then take of the hose from the pump and remove the bottom half from under your car it has a shield after that just install a new one it has some weird curves and can be a pain in the ass but oh well. I bought a aftermarket one for 40 bucks and took me 45 min to install. look in the faq for bleading instructions.

alright can you break this down a little bit. Are you saying take off your splash guard so you can get to you power steering lines easier??? You say that you bought an after market one, are you talking about just the lines??? where and how much did it cost you??

88WhiteLX-i
10-07-2002, 08:49 PM
Somebody PLEASE I NEED HELP ON THIS ONE!!!!! :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Jareds 89 LX-i
10-07-2002, 09:14 PM
I got a brand new P/S pressure hose for my sisters Maxima at Advance Auto Parts for about $40. It's worked great so far.

Look onine at Advance Auto ( www.advanceautoparts.com ), Autozone ( www.autozone.com ), Napa ( www.napaonline.com ). Otherwise you know Majestic Honda would have it

EDIT: It's $111.55 at Majestic :(
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1988&catcgry3=4DR+LXI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=P.S.+PIPES

88WhiteLX-i
10-08-2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Jareds 89 LX-i
I got a brand new P/S pressure hose for my sisters Maxima at Advance Auto Parts for about $40. It's worked great so far.

Look onine at Advance Auto ( www.advanceautoparts.com ), Autozone ( www.autozone.com ), Napa ( www.napaonline.com ). Otherwise you know Majestic Honda would have it

EDIT: It's $111.55 at Majestic :(
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1988&catcgry3=4DR+LXI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=P.S.+PIPES

Yeah AutoZone doesn't even stock the fucking part, there isn't a advanced auto near me, and Majestic Honda wants fucking 125 bucks for the part.. Mantis says he might be able to hook me up with the part, so iam gonna wait on that. or i might check some junk yard tomorrow and ask how much, well if I can find a car with NON LEAKING LINES...LOL. :flip:

Jareds 89 LX-i
10-08-2002, 10:14 PM
Or you could buy a brand new one from Napa for $30.99 :D

http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/NAPAonline/search_results_product_detail.d2w/report?prrfnbr=15571657&prmenbr=5806&usrcommgrpid=12277500

Even if you don't have one near you, just order it online

88WhiteLX-i
10-09-2002, 06:28 PM
I nees the "cooling" lines that run in front of the radiator. I don't think that those are it. shitty.

88WhiteLX-i
10-10-2002, 05:16 PM
COME GUYS I need some help!!! I was looking at the lines yesterday and it looks like I can unbolt them from the front. Well if I could actually get ahold of some..lol. MANTIS what's up with the lines?!?!?!

Mantis88LX
10-10-2002, 08:03 PM
k man, sorry its been rainin alot here lately and i haven been able to check see if i got one, im pretty sure i do but just want to make sure, i promise as soon as i can i will check, i will PM u and let u know.

cya :)

smufguy
10-11-2002, 10:40 AM
sorry man, i cant help u on that. its a bitch to remove for sure esp with intake still in there. with exams comin up, just cant get to the junk and its pouring here too. damn rain.

88WhiteLX-i
10-11-2002, 06:48 PM
I was taking a quick look at the front lines today and it looks like I can unbolt them from the front if I use an extension on the rachet... Is this even possible?? If I can unbolt the front bolt how can I undo the couplings? Well please tell me how you guys fixed this problem, or how you remove the line.. Thanx

Mantis88LX
10-11-2002, 09:37 PM
well the one i have has a hole in it :( sry man,

just try to fix yours?

the only thing i can think of is to somehow seal it up.

88WhiteLX-i
10-11-2002, 11:05 PM
shitty, Iam just gonna have to goto a junkyard and see if any of the 3g's have non-leaking power steering cooling lines. My only question was, what's the easiest way to get the fucking thing out??

1988starter
10-12-2002, 06:15 AM
I saw metal ones at pepboys.

1988starter
10-12-2002, 06:17 AM
carefull with powerstearing lines from junkyards the often snap when you remove the nut from underneath at least all the ones I removed have :ego:

njpeter
10-12-2002, 09:30 AM
I nearly lost my 87 lx..a FIRE started due to the leaking PS fluid from the the hose that runs nera the radiaotr ( manifold heat makes it fail)...turns out it can ignite if conditions were right. A long drive in heavy traffic to a NYC farewell party..I park the car at a commerical lot, come back a few hours later and the whole car is covered in white powder..I say " what idiot is cutting concrete at this hour( there was a construction site next door) long story short..the lot guy said a few minutes after I left, smoke strated coming from under the hood..then fire..luckily he put it out with a dry chemical unit..amazingly little damage for an under hood fire...burned hoses, lost all my r12..and the speedo and tranny shift cables..throttle too. Still haven't repainted the hood..but I got all the stuff at the junkyard including the PS hose..by the special line wrenches..you'll have large trouble getting the back end of the hose loose.

oih yeah..your signature is too long :-)

88WhiteLX-i
10-12-2002, 01:16 PM
ARe you talking about the cooling lines that run in front of the radiator?? They are hard lines that are suppose to "cool" the fluid.. If so then how do I take the fucking things out so I can replace them?? Do I need any special tools or anything???? THANKS ALOT FOR THE HELP!!!

njpeter
10-12-2002, 01:28 PM
the hose terminates under a sheet metal cover on the driver side..put the car up on jacks ( right side only..and for pete's sake..use good jackstands. get the cover off and use the line wrench to unfasten it from teh junction. There a few small clamps..get a good light and a mirror..there are at least two of em..once you get that all done..it's no trivial feat to snake the old hose out and get the new one in correctly..i fudged on the clamps, but made sure the hose was cler of any metal-metal contact. if you pull the top connector off first, you get covered in oil, but an old golf tee works well to plug the ps line so you don't get fludi all over ya. use honda ps fluid only btw..keeps the seals alive. and you have no idea what a pain it will be..so save the swearing for AFTER you get it done..then you can cuss up a storm..as it's that kinda job.

you don't have to mess with the ps fluid cooler...don't think it does anything?..ps fluid can get pretty hot..i drive a curvy parkway to work..and the pump is pretty damm hot when I get there.

88WhiteLX-i
10-12-2002, 03:29 PM
No I mean the part that leaking on my power steering is the front cooling lines. Iam not sure how to get them out. THe actual hard lines in front is the ones Iam having trouble with. The cooling line in front is leaking and every time the radiator heats up it'll stink for a little while because it's burning power steering fluid. It's definitely the cooling lines that run in front of the radiator, I don't have any other leaks.

88WhiteLX-i
10-13-2002, 07:34 PM
Ugh Please Thread don't Die!!!

flamed89
10-13-2002, 07:46 PM
are you talking about the p/s cooler?(large pipes that make a U shape behind the bumper?) if so that is easy! if not i'll take a look at mine tomorow.

Immeraufdemhund
10-14-2002, 05:47 AM
what are these lines made of? if it's copper just get 1/4" lines and a mini bender, and bend it your self. It's not too bad, just mark and measure, bend. Get some extra to practice with. I forget if you need to warm up the pipe, but i dont think it's necessary.

88WhiteLX-i
10-14-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by flamed89
are you talking about the p/s cooler?(large pipes that make a U shape behind the bumper?) if so that is easy! if not i'll take a look at mine tomorow.

YES these are the lines Iam talking about!! I was looking at them today, they are definitely leaking, but Iam not sure if it's these lines that are creating the smoke sometimes. I can definitely see smoke but now Iam not sure if it's power steering fluid that's burning. I can see somewhere near the transmission is another leak of some sort. I have not clue what the hell this probelm is, I think Iam just going to bring my car to my mechanic and let him take a look at it and maybe he can see something from up on the lift. My car is using power steering fluid, so obviously that's leaking. But I have to check my oil more regularly to see if it could be an oil leak, and HOPOEFULLY my mechanic can find where the oil leak is and HOPEFULLY it's not too bad of a fix.:( :(

flamed89
10-14-2002, 05:02 PM
let me know if you need any further help!i'm happy to assist!

88WhiteLX-i
10-14-2002, 08:10 PM
Has anyone taken those lines off and put new ones in or replaced them?? Iam just curious in how they got them out, the removal procedures to replace those cooling lines.

flamed89
10-15-2002, 04:35 PM
its pretty easy. im pm you the instuctions.

88WhiteLX-i
10-15-2002, 08:20 PM
thanks alot, I read your instructions. it doesn't sound that hard, taking the bumper off. So how many bolts are there?? does anyone know that definite anwser??

flamed89
10-16-2002, 05:33 AM
i just looked at mine, looks like there are 5 across the bottom and then 4(2 on each side) behind the lights. but there could be more and yours might be missing some. get someone to help you set it on and off it is awkward for one person to take off!

88WhiteLX-i
10-18-2002, 04:16 PM
Alright I finally brought my car in to one of my mechanics. I knew that the power steering lines are definitely leaking, but I also saw when I was under my car that my oil pan gasket is leaking. My oil pan bolt had been stripped since I bought the car so I knew sooner or later something had to be done. But this explains alot. Anyways my plan is this, the front power steering cooling lines can be fixed easily by cutting the pipe where you know it's not leaking and just join the top and bottom of the pipes with some kind of rubber hose. But the main problem is going to ibe the oil pan gasket. The first mechanic, the one I usually goto all the time said fucking $250 plus the price of the parts to replace the gasket and fix the power steering lines. I was like FUCK YOU!! The oil pan screw is already stripped so instead of fucking around Iam just gonna buy a new pan with a new gasket. But I brought my car to another guy and he said $125 plus parts to replace the gasket!! It's probably not that hard to replace the fucking thing, but I don't have the time nor place which blows.

flamed89
10-18-2002, 04:24 PM
glad to see you got it all straitened out!

88WhiteLX-i
10-18-2002, 07:43 PM
yeah I just don't feel like coming up with the money right now. lol, butI will eventually get it fixed..:tongue: