PDA

View Full Version : Engine Stand, Need Info

A20A1
10-06-2002, 06:56 PM
I need to know what type of engine stand I can get that can hold the A20 block, and or possibly pivot so that I can rotate the engine.

Thanks

YK86
10-06-2002, 09:08 PM
Mine's just the $75 CAD ($50us) one from a chain store (Canadian Tire) which holds a maximum of 750lbs. You can rotate it too. I'm sure the Pepboys or NAPA that you guys have in the US would have something simular around the same price range.

A20A1
10-06-2002, 09:20 PM
I saw one at checkers and it has nubs sticking out of each end of the 4 arms connected to the main beam that hold up the engine.

where do I stick those little nubs... i can't look at it again cause it's been purchased... maybe they've got a spare in the back... I'm just worried cause it just seems like I'll buy another tool ment solely for domestic engines and be crap out of luck when i can't ge the engine to stay...

A20A1
10-06-2002, 09:22 PM
BTW... I was interested in that rebuild kit in the marketplace

YK86
10-06-2002, 09:41 PM
I have all the rings and bearings but half the gasket kit is missing and I'm not sure why since I bought a separate rebuild kit for when I did the 88. It may have fallen out into a different box so I'll look around.

As for the stand, mine has little nubs too but I cut half of it off since it was too long. I couldn't use the bolts holding the tranny to the engine at the original length but that was because I was too lazy to find the right length metric bolts (most places only carry SAE). I'm sure those are there so that you can mount it with the flywheel or driveplate still mounted. As long as the stand where the arms bolt to the stand have slots so you can move it around, it'll be fine. Mine's a different brand compared to Mike Lee's but ours are almost identical.

PhydeauX
10-06-2002, 10:02 PM
Engine stands are pretty universal. I got one at abc auto for $60 or something like that. Get the smaller one, 4 cysl don't need a stand that can support a big block with iron heads. I left the nubs on mine the way they were and just bought some longer bolts. It doesn't matter really, as long as it doesnt fall off. Every engine stand I have ever seen pivots. Oh one little trick to getting the engine on the stand. Take the mounting plate off the stand and bolt it to the engine while its still hanging on a hoist, then put the stand on the plate and lower it to the ground. That can save alot of headaches.

andy

YK86
10-06-2002, 11:22 PM
Good tip! I'll have to do that next time.