PDA

View Full Version : 89 LX Timming Belt?

Misfit1
02-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Hello everyone, I just bought a 89 LX and the guy said it needs a timing belt. I got it to my house and looked at the engine. The timing belt is till there and under tension. I was thinking about trying to start it but I dont want to bend any valves. any suggestions. I have been a honda nut for years, but I have only done civics. This is my first accord.any help would be appriciated.

nswst8
02-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Rotate the engine to see if the timing marks line up, if they do. Then go ahead and attempt starting it.

Misfit1
02-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Thanx. I will try it.

griffonks
02-21-2010, 02:21 PM
looking for a how to on replacing the timing belt on an 89 LX is what brought me to this site. This spring I'm gonna do it again, another 65K miles. There is plenty of help here on how to change the belt, I only had to search for a couple minutes and then went and did it. Never needed to ask any questions of the members, but they always will advise if needed. They will like you better if you search first, believe me!

Misfit1
02-23-2010, 08:22 PM
ok so after putting everything TDC, found that the timing is good. I tried to start it but no love. I have spark. and I have compression. Still looking into the fuel. but when I turn the key, everything turns. crank,cam, all accessories, also pressure out of the exhuast. not sure what to try next. any ideas about fuel? thinking about a new fuel filter.

nswst8
02-23-2010, 10:30 PM
Are the plugs wet/smell of fuel after trying to start it? Any codes being throw out by the ECU?

Have you checked the dizzy cap and rotor button?

Misfit1
02-23-2010, 10:34 PM
ok so i just found out that the car was ran dry. the oil drain plug came out and the engine cut out. 600 bucks for the car. is it worth it to swap a new engine?I can get my money back and possibly find one in better condition.