PDA

View Full Version : Most econoical and time friendly swap?

Spectral
02-22-2010, 02:52 AM
So I have been reading on the swaps here are ALL the B Series except for the direct swap B20A all a pain to swap in? My accord has been sitting in my parents drive way for a month now because it doesn't really run all that well and I need to figure out what I am going to swap so I can start gathering parts to have this done by summer. I really wanted to do a b16 swap and build the b16 up to be a CTR motor with a supercharger but I do not see that being that great of an idea if there is a ton of extra custom work that needs to be done. A b20a will be sufficient I will just have to build the engine a bit more and throw on a decent turbo. But I am trying to wade all my options here. What do you all think?

stat1K
02-22-2010, 07:52 AM
wade your options huh? the expression is weigh your options, you wade through a bog...

so you're question is just what would the easiest swap be? All are really going to take the same amount of work with the exception of the b20a. The b20a will be harder to source and in my opinion not worth the cost. I would much rather build a b18b/b20b for boost than a b20a.

most economical = b20a
most time friendly = any other b-series

you're not going to be spending the majority of your time looking for a motor as any other b-series is readily available. the longest part of the swap would be wiring and axle combinations, all of these have been done before so if you're capable a swap shouldn't take more than a weekend, with the majority of time being spent on wiring.

Spectral
02-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Really the other B-Series are a quicker swap? From my reading on the swap thread it seemed like there needed to be custom mounts, custom axles, custom shift kit, and custom wiring. seemed like a lot of work and money.

LX-i
02-22-2010, 01:19 PM
economical? not a lot of things are more economical than a d15 lol but really there is nothing wrong with a nice, mildly modded a20a3. i mean good gas milage, rock solid reliability, decent power.

but if you really want to swap your gonna want to do a b20a.

Spectral
02-22-2010, 01:21 PM
I am looking for 300ish whp

charliekuney
02-22-2010, 02:37 PM
...and be economical? Go buy 300 horses and two wheels.

stat1K
02-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Really the other B-Series are a quicker swap? From my reading on the swap thread it seemed like there needed to be custom mounts, custom axles, custom shift kit, and custom wiring. seemed like a lot of work and money.

mounts are 350, axles are done by matching factory axles from different vehicles, shift linkage is a cut and weld job no more than an hour to do given the tools, wiring is like any swap in the 3g, if you're shooting for 300hp that's gonna be a hard number to hit with a bolt on turbo job in a b20a given the limitations of a vacuum advanced system, i smell wiring in that job now too... see what i'm getting at.

you said it's on your parents driveway, is it safe to say you haven't built anything by yourself yet? i wouldn't start with any type of swap before understanding these cars and how they work.

labeledsk8r
02-22-2010, 02:50 PM
**edit** ^^ beat me to it and explained it better lol

300 hp honda and econimical do not go together.

mounts are available for any B engine (this just shows you didnt really search to well)

wireing is well wireing, axels have been done before, shift linkage? depends if you go cable trans

stat1K
02-22-2010, 03:21 PM
^ shift linkage doesn't make a single difference as to cable trans or not, a hydro trans is still gear shift actuated.

what is meant by cable vs hydro is the clutch actuation, in both cases they have a shift rod connected to the gear shift. there is, to my knowledge, no b-motor other than the b20a's in the prelude and the early early b16 that use a cable operated shifter. nowadays they use them again so if you want to K-swap your car lets see it. lol....

point to all of this was that the shift linkage is literally a simple cut and reweld.

Tomisimo
02-22-2010, 03:56 PM
there is nothing economical about any type of swap. Its enthusiastic thing to do.

Spectral
02-22-2010, 11:32 PM
I have not built a Honda. I am not worried about the technical side of thing I have plenty of friends who have built well over 400whp honda's. That is not my issue. And by economical i meant in comparison to all the swaps possible. I would not be wanting to spend 6-10 grand on a swap. I know it is going to cost $$$ I expect that. I came from driving a Saturn Ion Redline where parts can be a lot more expensive to purchase. So cost I know, that is fine. What the main purpose of this was to find out if other B-Series are worth it because the thread that says to read first with engine swaps directed me to a different thread that had a quite a bit of custom, and from what was posted, costly work needed to get them to work. They had mounts at over 600 and the custom axels needed which were costly as well. It seems those issues have been taken care of for me and my option will most likely be to throw in a b18c1 built for boost which I should be able to hit 300whp with out worrying.

Tomisimo
02-22-2010, 11:42 PM
B18c is nice option, strong engines and good potential. but if its displacement you want, then a B20b/z with B16/18 head will be a good start, and cheaper option to begin with. also, correct me if I'm wrong, its possible to use B18a trany wit this engine, as its cable clutch trany.

Spectral
02-22-2010, 11:58 PM
I have thought of the B20 with b18 head swap. It really is probably going to come down to which is available as an option and which is in the nicest condition when I have the money to purchase the swap materials needed.

I also still haven't decided if i am going to leave the motor out and build it for boost. or throw the motor in and drive it and get parts to boost it and then take it apart in the fall/winter and boost it. not sure yet.

stat1K
02-23-2010, 06:40 AM
links to said 400whp honda's...

i don't believe you i'm sorry. you can say that your friends have done it, but without any type of proof it just sounds like you talk a big game.

good luck on pushing 300hp with a b20vtec, thin walls make little room for error.

i'll challenge you like i do all new members, i say in a year you don't even have the car nor have you done anything swap related, sound like fighting words to you?

dacantu
02-23-2010, 08:36 AM
:inout:

Spectral
02-23-2010, 01:16 PM
links to said 400whp honda's...

i don't believe you i'm sorry. you can say that your friends have done it, but without any type of proof it just sounds like you talk a big game.

good luck on pushing 300hp with a b20vtec, thin walls make little room for error.

i'll challenge you like i do all new members, i say in a year you don't even have the car nor have you done anything swap related, sound like fighting words to you?

Sounds to me like someone also likes to be a "tough guy" on the internet to new comers. You can think what you want. Save this post if you want so you can eat it in a year when the swap is done. And I'll try and find some post able pictures/stats on a couple of the cars that friends have built.

here is one picture of the fastest one.
http://b7.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00245/78/53/245023587_l.jpg

hopefully i have some engine shots still of it. 10 second honda fast enough for you?

stat1K
02-23-2010, 01:52 PM
10 second honda is fast enough, but where's the proof you know them?

i do like to be a tough guy, i'm glad you understand that. i would love you to prove me wrong, that's the reason for 99% of my shit talking. get it done buddy.

charliekuney
02-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Sounds to me like someone also likes to be a "tough guy" on the internet to new comers.

stat1K "dislikes" me, but he's just real. He hates stupidity/laziness/uselessness.

ShyBoyCA6
02-23-2010, 03:38 PM
lol stat1k is a fuuny dude once you get to know him on the posts but yeah he can be a "tough guy" if you wanna call it that but hes straight up and doesn't give a sh@t lol eventually you will find a way around it thats just him so enjoy the flaming:thumbup:

stat1K
02-23-2010, 04:19 PM
stat1K "dislikes" me, but he's just real. He hates stupidity/laziness/uselessness.

lol, at italic real... best post you've ever had.

stat1K
02-23-2010, 04:20 PM
lol stat1k is a fuuny dude once you get to know him on the posts but yeah he can be a "tough guy" if you wanna call it that but hes straight up and doesn't give a sh@t lol eventually you will find a way around it thats just him so enjoy the flaming:thumbup:

gonna start passing out flame retardant suits at the door.

Ichiban
02-23-2010, 04:29 PM
So I have been reading on the swaps here are ALL the B Series except for the direct swap B20A all a pain to swap in? My accord has been sitting in my parents drive way for a month now because it doesn't really run all that well and I need to figure out what I am going to swap so I can start gathering parts to have this done by summer. I really wanted to do a b16 swap and build the b16 up to be a CTR motor with a supercharger but I do not see that being that great of an idea if there is a ton of extra custom work that needs to be done. A b20a will be sufficient I will just have to build the engine a bit more and throw on a decent turbo. But I am trying to wade all my options here. What do you all think?

If you're going to stick on a turbo, why bother swapping at all? Get an A20, run some management, buy a turbo, fab a manifold, run some hoses etc.....

There you go. More power, tuner cool, and no swap.

Or you could get more serious, and "custom badass" some swap that takes a marginal amount of ingenuity and talent. I mean, you can buy B-series mounts, how hard can it be.

Or swap the B20A and be done with it. Don't bother with a turbo, 'cause it'll die. And buy two of the super rare engine, like I'm doing, because they're super rare, and I can't have a car that doesn't work. Either way, B20A sucks. But you can do it anyway.

Or a run of the mill B18 or B20 swap, like I said, the mounts are there, and parts are everywhere....

I guess you could make up your mind, choose a plan of action, and tell us about it when it's done.

Or waste everyone's time by weighing your options.....

stat1K
02-23-2010, 04:36 PM
you mean wading his options right ;)

2ndGenGuy
02-23-2010, 05:25 PM
...B20A sucks.

QFT! QTF? <--- what does that even mean? Either way, tr00f.

charliekuney
02-23-2010, 06:51 PM
you mean wading his options right ;)

:bowrofl:

stat1K
02-23-2010, 07:46 PM
qtf is quantum transmission fluid john, sheesh.

Spectral
02-24-2010, 12:18 AM
Is the stock motor capable of 300whp reliably? From what I have gathered it isn't maybe I am wrong. This thread is to see what my options are and ask the fact finding questions to make sure I choose a suitable path. If I have time I will find some proof of me knowing the 10 second Honda but that really is not a priority because I could care less whether or not you believe me because it will have no effect on how I am going to build my car.

I want to kind of put this out there as well as a partial reason for me making this thread. Personally I am not a huge Honda fan. I am however a car enthusiast and I love to see unique cars. The Accord Hatch is a car that is not normally modified and would be more on the "classic" side of Honda's. I have never really been interested in Honda's until I had the chance to pick this car up for $300 and it still runs. For that reason I do not know much of what exactly is needed in a motor swap with a car such as this the cars that I have worked with all had their stock engines built on. I apologize to some of the more senior members here if these types of post bother you but again I could care less what you think because this is for me to make sure I fully comprehend what is involved in each path available to better decide my ultimate path for a swap.

stat1K
02-24-2010, 04:44 AM
the first step in comprehension is research.

Ichiban
02-25-2010, 04:16 PM
With me it usually starts with stumbling across the parts by blind chance for super cheap, or making a plan and following it. No matter what route you go, there are going to be problems, costs, setbacks and issues that nobody could have told you about, or have even foreseen.

Spectral
02-25-2010, 05:40 PM
With me it usually starts with stumbling across the parts by blind chance for super cheap, or making a plan and following it. No matter what route you go, there are going to be problems, costs, setbacks and issues that nobody could have told you about, or have even foreseen.

That is the fact on any car project. It's just something you have to get use to lol. I am looking right now to see if I can get a good deal on a b18 whether it be LS or GSR isn't really a huge deal whatever I can get the best deal on at the time i have the money.