PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a clutch?

Edison Carasio
02-24-2010, 08:09 AM
I need to replace the clutch and flywheel in my 89 LX. I'm searching ebay but I've never really had to replace a clutch before. Any brands that are junk or any sellers to avoid? I'm trying to save money but still manage to get the job done right.

Right now I'm looking at an Exedy clutch kit for $109.00 plus free shipping from Gripforce. Any thoughts?

nswst8
02-24-2010, 08:18 AM
1. Clutchnet ( there are a veriety of combinations)

2. Centerforce (Modified engines)

3. LUK 08-008 (My choice for OEM replacememnt) This is my recommendation for quality and cost.

4. Exedy ( I found out that LUK makes clutches for Exedy)

Anything after these are considered autopart store replacement which are not bad. I had put in an Autozone Fenco clutch in 2004 I had to replace it in 2008 only because the clutch throw out bearing spring failed. I didn't put in a new one when I replaced the clutch, I should have. The clutch looked great.

Edison Carasio
03-01-2010, 06:26 AM
I think I'm going with the Exedy Clutch. Should I buy the clutch+pressure plate or just the clutch? I found the kit on Ebay for $109 or the clutch alone for $29+$8 shipping. I'm on a budget and I'm not familiar with manual transmissions yet.

nswst8
03-01-2010, 07:45 AM
I'm using LUK and Exedy.

I already found out that LUK manufactures clutches for Exedy. Both are reliable and very cost effective.

Edison Carasio
03-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Think I should get a new pressure plate or just reuse the one I've got? Or will I not know until I take it apart?

stephensimmons
03-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Think I should get a new pressure plate or just reuse the one I've got? Or will I not know until I take it apart?

If it was me i would replace everything ( pressure plate,clutch disk, release bearing, and pilot bearing if there is one). The reason im saying thie is because i have replaced jus the disk before an it worked but a couple of times ive done just the disk when i put it back together the car wouldnt go in gear an i had to tear it all back apart an put a pressure plate in it :rant: so if you have the money just put the clutch kit you wont regret it!

Edison Carasio
03-01-2010, 11:06 AM
I guess I'll just get the clutch, pressure plate, pilot and throw out bearings. I was wanting to get some wheels, window tint and exhaust for my Fit AND fix the clutch on the Accord. Trying to cut back where I can. lol

stephensimmons
03-01-2010, 11:08 AM
I understand but thats a little too much work to be cutting back an it dont work then you have to do it again.

Edison Carasio
03-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Hmmmm I couldn't find the bearings on any of the auto part stores sites. Anyone have any idea how much those might run me? Sorry for all the questions :(

stephensimmons
03-01-2010, 12:41 PM
If you get the complete clutch kit like the one you were looking at for 109.00 they should be in there. Send them a message an ask them and if they're not they should be able to provide them.

nswst8
03-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Our accords don't have a pilot bearing to replace.

But deffinately replace the entire clutch includine the throw out bearing spring ($4 from Honda)

MessyHonda
03-04-2010, 12:31 AM
yeah excedy clutch is good....i remember geddy had one and he said it grabbed good

Hauntd ca3
03-04-2010, 12:34 AM
my ca3 has an exedy friction plate and an AP racing pressure plate and its awesome.
nice and light and can take a beating

AccordB20A
03-04-2010, 01:43 AM
mines an exedy too it has snapped 2 dif pins so far with the grab it has :)

Edison Carasio
03-04-2010, 05:49 AM
Anyone heard of clutchnet? The guy doing the work recommended them, but I see Exedy clutchs in so many Hondas, including in like Honda Tuning and what not.

stat1K
03-04-2010, 05:56 AM
clutchnet is one of the best clutches made. if you're building a car to race buy a clutchnet, if you're doing a stock replacement get an exedy/luk/oemhonda/daikin all the same, luk is a bit different but the rest are all made in the same place.

do like the other members said, replace all the parts, don't scimp when it comes to this stuff or like steve said you'll be tearing it apart again, and if you're having someone else do this they probably don't want to be doing that.

www.clutchnet.com if you're interested in clutchnet.

Importordomestic
03-04-2010, 09:57 AM
I recommend a Spec clutch stage 1, beautiful engagement will last a LONG time. Personally i run stage 3 6 puck sprung in both of my hatches. anything more than that its useles on the streets.

the spec clutch will come with everything includein bearing and alignment tool.

www.specclutch.com

ecogabriel
03-04-2010, 04:29 PM
I got the clutch for my 5g civic from

http://www.clutchcityonline.com/

They shipped pretty fast and for free. Got an Exedy clutch from there and I am very happy with it. Below is the link for the 3G exedy set,

http://www.clutchcityonline.com/products/08-008.shtml

I would get a new flywheel or at least get yours refinished. I got mine refinished but for the money I should have bought a new one.
If the flywheel's surface is not perfect you may have problems, and if by any chance you need the clutch's warranty, they'll ask for proof of a new flywheel or a refinished one.

Rockauto.com carry cheaper flywheels (sachs) Do it right and forget about it... good luck

Edison Carasio
03-06-2010, 07:01 PM
So I think I'm gonna go with the Exedy clutch and pressure plate, and the SACHS flywheel. Sound good, or should I go with another flywheel?

nswst8
03-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Sounds like a good set up, don't forget the throwout bearing release spring. Do not reuse the old one. Mine gave out on a perfectly good clutch.

ecogabriel
03-07-2010, 10:10 AM
So I think I'm gonna go with the Exedy clutch and pressure plate, and the SACHS flywheel. Sound good, or should I go with another flywheel?

If you get a new flywheel, before installing compare it with the old one.
Chances are that the timing marks may be missing in the new flywheel; I read about a forum member writing about it a while ago.

nswst8
03-07-2010, 11:51 AM
If you get a new flywheel, before installing compare it with the old one.
Chances are that the timing marks may be missing in the new flywheel; I read about a forum member writing about it a while ago.

Good point

ecogabriel
03-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Good point

I remember the thread but I do not remember who started it. I also remember (hey, I look like my grandpa... remembering all the time :o)
that Lost suggested a way to copy the marks fromt the old to the new...

Just in case...

Edison Carasio
03-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Bought the Exedy clutch today. Waiting for it in the mail. Sachs flywheel at Rockauto is like $62 shipped :( Booooo So I might just order a higher quality flywheel through one of the autoparts stores and get higher quality shipped to the store for free. =/

AZmike
03-10-2010, 11:39 AM
All three clutches I've replaced hadn't worn down to the rivets so the flywheels were all like new. If you're considering buying locally you may want to see what your flywheel looks like before replacing it.

nswst8
03-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Don't forget the Throw out bearing spring. DO NOT reuse the old one. Use this time to replace the rear main seal as well. Use only Honda OEM. Don't use aftermarket seals.

ecogabriel
03-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Don't forget the Throw out bearing spring. DO NOT reuse the old one. Use this time to replace the rear main seal as well. Use only Honda OEM. Don't use aftermarket seals.

Good advice. Replacing the seal will take a few extra minutes; disassembling the whole thing to replace a $20 seal is a pain...
Installation is key; the seal is big and it is not easy to push it in place evenly. :nuts: With patience and a little care it will go without problems.
I stuffed mine with grease on the side where the seal spring sits to prevent it from coming loose :jaw: . Grease should be applied to both the seal lip and the crank surface.

Edison Carasio
03-10-2010, 03:35 PM
The guy who is doing the work said that he thinks just the clutch/pressure plate and the bearings / springs are all that should need to be done. So maybe I'll just see what the flywheel looks like and it's in totally bad condition THEN I'll run out to the autoparts store.

nswst8
03-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Think about this, it's the exact same job to replace the rear main seal. If it decides to fail, guess what. You'll have to pay the exact same price to have the seal replaced. Whenever I do a clutch I also replace the rear main seal as well.

Just like what happened to me when I didn't wait to get a knew throw out spring and I reused the old one. It failed on a perfectly good clutch that didn't need to be replaced.

Just make sure you buy it from Honda, I've used Felpro and it failed.

Edison Carasio
03-22-2010, 09:57 AM
I called the dealer and asked for a throw out spring but they said it was like $67.00. WTF????

nswst8
03-22-2010, 10:12 AM
22851-PC8-A00 Spring, release fork $3.03

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hpa_parts_list.php?vin=&Label%5BProductID%5D=ACCORD&Label%5BYearID%5D=1989&Label%5BDoorID%5D=4&Label%5BGradeID%5D=LXI&Label%5BAreaID%5D=KA&Label%5BTransmissionID%5D=5MT&Label%5BSectionID%5D=TRANSMISSION+-+MANUAL&Label%5BIllustrationGroupID%5D=MT+CLUTCH+RELEASE&ProductID=5&YearID=28&DoorID=4&GradeID=72&AreaID=2&TransmissionID=3&SectionID=2&IllustrationGroupID=5618

stephensimmons
03-22-2010, 10:30 AM
22851-PC8-A00 Spring, release fork $3.03

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hpa_parts_list.php?vin=&Label%5BProductID%5D=ACCORD&Label%5BYearID%5D=1989&Label%5BDoorID%5D=4&Label%5BGradeID%5D=LXI&Label%5BAreaID%5D=KA&Label%5BTransmissionID%5D=5MT&Label%5BSectionID%5D=TRANSMISSION+-+MANUAL&Label%5BIllustrationGroupID%5D=MT+CLUTCH+RELEASE&ProductID=5&YearID=28&DoorID=4&GradeID=72&AreaID=2&TransmissionID=3&SectionID=2&IllustrationGroupID=5618

thanks for posting that!