PDA

View Full Version : Steering rack boot

kentwat
02-26-2010, 07:55 AM
I noticed the other day my boot on the passenger side was just flopping around. I saw this part on rock auto but I was unable to see it at autozone online. If I just remove the tierod is it just a quick change? I'd paint up the current location of the tie rod on the bar so I can put it back to normal. Power steering fluid isn't low so I do not suspect the rack is leaking. Any tips appreciated. Kent

russiankid
02-26-2010, 08:06 AM
Just remove the tie rod and slip off the old one and slip on the new one. Make sure the shaft is clean as you don't want dirt trapped in there that will ruin the internal rack seal.

DBMaster
02-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Is the torn boot dry? If you see fluid in or around either of the boots you have leaky inner tie rod seals. I just mention this because I went to the trouble to change torn boots on mine a few years ago. The leaks got worse shortly thereafter and I had to replace the rack.

Dr_Snooz
02-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Is the torn boot dry? If you see fluid in or around either of the boots you have leaky inner tie rod seals. I just mention this because I went to the trouble to change torn boots on mine a few years ago. The leaks got worse shortly thereafter and I had to replace the rack.

Ditto.

You have a bad rack. Most likely because it got the wrong fluid. That'll be some fun.

Tomisimo
02-27-2010, 02:07 AM
I dont think so, because you have 2 nipples in both boots, and a hose going to them. I think it was ment to collect fluids back. So I guess they were designed to leak naturally but in small amounts. just sip tru for lubricating.

A18A
02-27-2010, 03:58 AM
i thougt that hose was just so the air can go between the 2 boots so theres no pressure in them? My non-powersteering racks never had that hose though :/

AZmike
02-27-2010, 07:34 AM
i thougt that hose was just so the air can go between the 2 boots so theres no pressure in them? My non-powersteering racks never had that hose though :/

That's exactly what the tube is for. Any PSF in the boots is due to a leak.

I have seen boots go bad in a good rack so I wouldn't say bad boots mean that there must be a leak.

DBMaster
02-27-2010, 07:54 PM
I used only Honda PS fluid in mine since the car was new. The rack still eventually springs leaks all over the place. The pump does, too.

Dr_Snooz
02-27-2010, 08:38 PM
I've made it a habit of replacing the PS fluid every 15k miles or so. I hope to keep it from crapping out for a very long time. I need to start looking into synthetic PS alternatives.

Dr_Snooz
02-27-2010, 08:57 PM
I need to put an inline filter in too.

kentwat
02-28-2010, 06:58 AM
There was a small amount of fluid but my ps pump isn't low. I've read through plenty of searches on steering rack swap. It doesn't sound like fun. I'm not sure that my wife will want to get under there and help. All posts say it is much easier with a friend. But since there is plenty of pluid in the resivoir sp?? I'll go boot swap only.Thanks for info. As for fluid type I was told as you stated Honda PS fluid only. That chit isn't cheap compared to standard fluid. I'm getting ready to get greasy, have a good Sunday.

Tomisimo
02-28-2010, 08:21 AM
Its the thing about Honda, you have to use Honda only fluids in Gearbox and PS. you can also use ATF fluid for quick fix on the side of the road, but its not recommended.

lostforawhile
02-28-2010, 08:49 AM
I dont think so, because you have 2 nipples in both boots, and a hose going to them. I think it was ment to collect fluids back. So I guess they were designed to leak naturally but in small amounts. just sip tru for lubricating.it allows air to travel between the boots, as one expands the other contracts, the hose needs to be there, it prevents dirt from getting inside of the boots

I used only Honda PS fluid in mine since the car was new. The rack still eventually springs leaks all over the place. The pump does, too.you can get the pump rebuild kit at advance auto parts, it's really easy, just keep track of which way the rotors are in and which side, you can install them backwards, the pump is built just like a rotor oil pump inside. the O ring for the fluid inlet is the wrong size in the kit though, it's just an O ring, I got one at Nappa

I've made it a habit of replacing the PS fluid every 15k miles or so. I hope to keep it from crapping out for a very long time. I need to start looking into synthetic PS alternatives.the factory fluid is synthetic, thats why it's so expensive, the problem with the system is so many people have put the wrong fluid it at one point. the fluid and seals are designed to work together, the rack and pump seals were designed to be self healing to stop leaks, DO NOT put lucas ps stop leak in the system.

There was a small amount of fluid but my ps pump isn't low. I've read through plenty of searches on steering rack swap. It doesn't sound like fun. I'm not sure that my wife will want to get under there and help. All posts say it is much easier with a friend. But since there is plenty of pluid in the resivoir sp?? I'll go boot swap only.Thanks for info. As for fluid type I was told as you stated Honda PS fluid only. That chit isn't cheap compared to standard fluid. I'm getting ready to get greasy, have a good Sunday.do you need a boot? i have a brand new one oem one here i can sell you, i replaced the rack so I don't need it.

2drSE-i
02-28-2010, 10:43 AM
I need to put an inline filter in too.
That is honestly the best idea I've heard about our PS systems in a long time. Should be easy to do on the return line, too.

Its the thing about Honda, you have to use Honda only fluids in Gearbox and PS. you can also use ATF fluid for quick fix on the side of the road, but its not recommended.
Personally, I've ran small amounts (vs PS fluid) of ATF for the better part of two years, and my rack does not leak at all. ::Knock on wood::

the factory fluid is synthetic, thats why it's so expensive, the problem with the system is so many people have put the wrong fluid it at one point. the fluid and seals are designed to work together, the rack and pump seals were designed to be self healing to stop leaks, DO NOT put lucas ps stop leak in the system.

Or any stop leak stuff honestly. All it does is ruin your seals. May stop pinhole leaks in hoses, but it likes to stick to seals, harden them and ruin them.

Dr_Snooz
02-28-2010, 04:16 PM
That is honestly the best idea I've heard about our PS systems in a long time. Should be easy to do on the return line, too.

I will do it eventually, but I want to pull the filter from my reservoir first. It's sealed in there, so I'll probably get a scrapper from the yard, hack it open, throw out the filter, seal it up again and swap it in. Lostforawhile would probably machine a new reservoir from billet aluminum, anodize it purple and shape it like the statue of liberty or something. I'm not that creative. Maybe I'll take a spin through the old German cars and see if I can find something made from metal that will work.

Lil Mike
02-28-2010, 04:34 PM
I will do it eventually, but I want to pull the filter from my reservoir first. It's sealed in there, so I'll probably get a scrapper from the yard, hack it open, throw out the filter, seal it up again and swap it in. Lostforawhile would probably machine a new reservoir from billet aluminum, anodize it purple and shape it like the statue of liberty or something. I'm not that creative. Maybe I'll take a spin through the old German cars and see if I can find something made from metal that will work.

early 90's nissans used metal reservoirs.

nswst8
02-28-2010, 04:50 PM
Yeah, replacing the bellows is only a tempory fix to keep dirt from entering the leaking seals. But it will eventually go bad. Mine has. I'm looking for another one.

Dr_Snooz
02-28-2010, 07:27 PM
early 90's nissans used metal reservoirs.

Thanks! I'll check those out.

Yeah, replacing the bellows is only a tempory fix to keep dirt from entering the leaking seals. But it will eventually go bad. Mine has. I'm looking for another one.

I wouldn't waste my time replacing them honestly. My '82 had blown out bellows. I replaced them but they filled up with oil again and blew out in a couple months. You're just wasting a Saturday and potentially messing up your alignment. The bellows are going to cost you and the alignment is also going to cost you. If you don't do the alignment, then you can burn up your tires and those will cost you even more. I'd just drive it and keep saving for a new rack.

lostforawhile
02-28-2010, 09:10 PM
if your boot tears and the rack isn't leaking ,you need to fix it, any dirt that gets in there contaminates the inner tie rod end and gets into the rack seals, making leaks worse

nswst8
02-28-2010, 09:22 PM
My point here is to fix it correctly for what ever issues you find.

kentwat
03-02-2010, 07:30 AM
Appreciate the offer Lost. I got caught up on another job in my shop and now I can't get to it. I'll keep you in mind. On you post wanting horn botton, are you talking about inside of the column or the outside piece that is visible?

DBMaster
03-02-2010, 08:07 AM
I don't really like the idea of an inline filter unless it's a free flowing magnetic type. It may cause too much pressure drop, especially if it gets a little clogged. I recall that the Dr. opened up a reservoir in the junk yard and proved that the entire bottom of it is a pleated filter.

I wonder if there really is a synthetic fluid that is universal. Honestly, though, these things last a long time. I don't know if changing to a different fluid would keep the seals from eventually leaking. Mine was leaking for a long time from the pump, rack seals, and a couple of the hoses. One afternoon a leak at the steering box blew out and left a trail of fluid up my driveway and into the garage. It was just a few months after wasting my time replacing the rack boots and then getting an alignment. I do have a good method for pulling the tie rod ends and replacing them without messing with the alignment much and it doesn't involve counting threads. I was off by less than a degree on the toe.