PDA

View Full Version : Keep or not to keep?

89lx-r
02-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Well ive been thinking about my 3g alot. And it needs a new motor for sure. But the outside is very nice, new-ish paint, the interior is just about flawless. It just needs work, such as new driveaxles, a front tire, alignment, and engine. I love it so much, I just want to know if its too much work. The motor is ready to pull, and what ive been seeing motors arent expensive at all.

nswst8
02-26-2010, 03:47 PM
For the cost of what this is going to cost you in this economy, my suggestion is to keep it. There is nothing better than having a reliable car and no payment.

Especially if you are doing the work yourself. This is why I still own my two. I own a number of cars around the country. These are just the most reliable and easiest to work on.

Dr_Snooz
02-26-2010, 03:56 PM
If you love the car and can work on it, then keep it. What other car can you buy for what it will cost you to fix this one? What other car can you buy that you'll be passionate about for any price? If you go out and drive other cars and feel how leaden and spongy they feel, that will probably decide it for you (assuming of course that yours isn't all broke down and worn out).

89lx-r
02-26-2010, 04:00 PM
yes i do all the work, I had a shop do my timing belt when it ran, and it just cost too much in labor. And when I got it back the pump was making a squeling kinda noise.

ShyBoyCA6
02-26-2010, 04:12 PM
keep it bro and dont worry about how much time is gonna go in the car in the end its gonna pay back

89lx-r
02-26-2010, 04:17 PM
yea im in no hurry, i dont have a job, or insurance, or anyhting like that right now

SiR
02-26-2010, 04:42 PM
My Accord helped me out when getting a new car back in '07. It has to be one of most inexpensive cars to run. I reached a point in my position to try something else when I decided to part with my car. Had the Accord since '86 with 349k miles.

markmdz89hatch
02-26-2010, 05:19 PM
I've had mine since '99 and still hold true to the fact that it's one of the best, cheap , reliable, and kinda fun cars to drive, especially compared to others in the relative price.

I've been driving my '02 Protege ES since '05 and anyone who knows me knows that I've been searching for months for a good body, rust-free, mechanically sound (or close to), low~ish mileage (under 130k) LX-i (or SE-i) Coupe or hatch (88-89 only) and stick. I know it's a wish list, but if I found it, I'd dump this Protege at the drop of a hat and upgrade to that 3G.

Long story short, I'm with all the other guys. Keep it, fix it, and for the price of what that cost you you couldn't get another car that you know the mechanical history of.

89lx-r
02-26-2010, 07:03 PM
ok thx, im going to buy a motor soon then, and make the best of what i got.