PDA

View Full Version : How to replace brake lines?

nfs480
02-26-2010, 11:12 PM
I searched the forums for this topic and I couldn't find anything on this. I think my right front caliper is sticking which is causing my car to pull to the right and is causing a major rumbling noise at about 65 mph. How difficult is it to replace the flexible brake line and what are my odds of breaking stuff when I do?

nswst8
02-26-2010, 11:53 PM
Simple enough, just use a line wrench. 10mm I believe. If you are not using a line wrench be very careful not to strip the edges.

I just realized to live in MN, corrossion is your worst enemy. Spray with penetrating oil (PB Blaster) and let sit overnight. A torch wrench is sometimes needed to help oil penetration. Be real careful with this technique, apply heat only for 10-15 seconds at a time then apply oil.

The hard line flange bolt is what you need to avoid stripping.

nfs480
02-27-2010, 12:04 AM
Yeah, they're pretty excessively corroded. Although now i'm starting to doubt my sticking caliper idea. It's been pulling to the right for a while now and the rumbling between 60-70 mph has me worried. I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong.

Tomorrow i'm gonna jack the front end up and see if either side is showing any resistance, i've had the car aligned since it started pulling to the right and the shop assures me that the alignment is not causing the pulling.

I've also rotated the tires all over to see if it was radial pull caused by a tire, but no matter where the tires were located the direction and strength of the pull is exactly the same.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this i'd appreciate it.

EDIT: It's also important to note that the rumbling goes away if I let off the gas, but reappears once I press the accelerator again. If i'm just coasting or braking between 60-70 mph it's perfectly smooth with no rumble.

nswst8
02-27-2010, 10:15 AM
I would inspect the caliper first, if the soft line isn't leaking, leave it alone. The caliper might be the culprit.

If the car is rumbling on acceleration I'd associate it to the engine and or mounts. Check your mounts first. Then your drive shafts.

Pulling would associate to alignment issues, tie rods, ball joints, strut rod bushings, struts.

nfs480
02-27-2010, 10:31 AM
The calipers were replace only like 5 months ago, and the line still looks ok as of now. The mounts are also just 2-3 years old (the front and rear motor mounts). I'm heading out now to take a look at stuff so i'll see if anything's dragging or loose and i'll report back in a while.

nfs480
02-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Ok, I jacked up the car and spun all four wheels. The fronts spun freely in neutral but the rears made this weird oscillating dragging noise as they spun. I'm thinking maybe I need new rear wheel bearings?

nswst8
02-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Could be drag on the rear disc, remove the wheel and then the pads and then spin the bearing for drag.

2drSE-i
02-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Does it only pull during acceleration? or does it do it during braking too? Could be your radius rod bushings if it does it during both. If it goes away when you let off the gas I'm kinda hard pressed to believe its the caliper dragging.

nswst8
02-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Does it only pull during acceleration? or does it do it during braking too? Could be your radius rod bushings if it does it during both. If it goes away when you let off the gas I'm kinda hard pressed to believe its the caliper dragging.

I'm inclined to agree, at this point I'm in just a rule out stage. Ruling out the obvious.

nfs480
02-28-2010, 02:43 PM
The pulling always happens whether i'm accelerating, coasting or braking. The rumbling noise goes away when I stop accelerating. I guess i'm having two different issues and i'm just trying to figure out what to replace.

Dr_Snooz
02-28-2010, 03:58 PM
My money is on wheel bearings. That would cause both noise and excessive drag.

nswst8
02-28-2010, 04:20 PM
My money is on wheel bearings. That would cause both noise and excessive drag.

I'd have to agree.

nfs480
02-28-2010, 05:05 PM
So it sounds like I should replace both rear wheel bearings then.

lostforawhile
02-28-2010, 06:02 PM
you don't buy bearings,you buy an entire rear hub assembly, the bearings are part of it. you'll need to get new hub nuts, they are the same as the ones on the front axles, it's really easy to fix, you pull off the drum, unstake the hub nut, remove it, slide off the entire hub in one piece, install the new one, and install the nut, and restake it. you don't have to touch the brakes other then pulling off the drum, if you have trouble getting the drum off, there are two threaded holes in the drum, they are metric bolts. thread two bolts in and slowly tighten, this will force off the hub.

nfs480
02-28-2010, 06:05 PM
I have an se-i so it has discs in the rears.

lostforawhile
02-28-2010, 06:21 PM
I have an se-i so it has discs in the rears.

oH i DIDN'T SEE THAT

Dr_Snooz
02-28-2010, 07:09 PM
That's still the same procedure though right? It looks like it from as near as I can tell.

Dr_Snooz
02-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Yeah, it looks to be the same procedure. How hard is it to get the old hub off? I can foresee a lot of swearing at this stage. A good gear puller would get it off no problem though.

nswst8
02-28-2010, 08:17 PM
This will give you an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeSykJguOjY&feature=channel