PDA

View Full Version : Emission problems in Cali?

Haxxorz
02-27-2010, 07:18 PM
So I currently live in oregon, but in the fall am moving down to cali for college. Will a 32/36 weber pass emissions? I just wanted to clear up any doubts

ghettogeddy
02-27-2010, 07:25 PM
prolly not i would just keep your car reg in or lol
what college you attending

Pico
02-27-2010, 07:36 PM
You'll have a hard time passing smog here in Cali unless you know someone.

Civic Accord Honda
02-27-2010, 07:39 PM
no it has to have the original carb with all the original emission controls, unless you can get the hook up (will be expensive )

do what geddy said keep the rego in Oregon

Haxxorz
02-27-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm attending Biola University near LA. What exactly do you mean by keeping my registration in OR? So if i leave everything 'Oregon' even though my car will be down in cali for most of the school year it'll work? I'll be in OR during the summer and winter breaks.

Civic Accord Honda
02-27-2010, 09:46 PM
yeah just leave the oregon plates and the rego at your place in oregon or your parents place or something, when i moved to oregon we left our car registered in California lol

ShyBoyCA6
02-27-2010, 09:56 PM
its different cause your registered at oregon and not cali and since your not visting you would have to register your car here in cali in order to drive it and about your weber you cant do it since cali are strict to thier emission list it would be better if you knew a mechanic to sign your paper and say you passed smog but if you dont then dont do the conversion

lostforawhile
02-27-2010, 10:21 PM
if you have parents in oregon, register it and change the title to them. and have them insure it with your name as an add on with them the primary drivers , just pay them the money, if you get stopped you are "borrowing it" if it's not in your name and registered out of state, nothing they can do.

Haxxorz
02-28-2010, 12:51 PM
if you have parents in oregon, register it and change the title to them. and have them insure it with your name as an add on with them the primary drivers , just pay them the money, if you get stopped you are "borrowing it" if it's not in your name and registered out of state, nothing they can do.
Absolutely Brilliant. As a matter of fact I currently have the car under their name already as it saves a ton on insurance. So its already set up through them which is nice. The Mechanic is fixing my transmission and while it's in there he's going to put on the weber so its too late for that, and I really REALLY don't want to be stuck with the crappy stock carb. Thanks CAH and lost.
:thumbup:

mkymonkey
02-28-2010, 01:28 PM
dont get caught

lostforawhile
02-28-2010, 01:47 PM
dont get caughtif he's a student, and the car is registered and insured out of the state, in someone elses name, he's just a student "borrowing it" to go to school. if it's not in his name he's not required to register it in californication , he doesn't own it. he's a student anyway, as far as they know he lives in Oregon and is just attending school. if he gets stoped its just on loan, if he's not trying to transfer it to his name, what can they say? If you borrow a car and happen to drive to California, they can't make you smog it if its not yours, only if you put cali plates on it

blazin3gen
02-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Absolutely Brilliant. As a matter of fact I currently have the car under their name already as it saves a ton on insurance. So its already set up through them which is nice. The Mechanic is fixing my transmission and while it's in there he's going to put on the weber so its too late for that, and I really REALLY don't want to be stuck with the crappy stock carb. Thanks CAH and lost.
:thumbup:

its an arm and a leg to have your car smogged and registered here. leave it set to oregon status lol

Harrison_Bergeron
03-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Keeping the registration in OR will only work as long as no one reports you.
(Was going to post the link to the DMV/CHP site for reporting violators, but I'm a newb)

It doesn't matter if the car is registered to your parents, if it is being driven here by a resident it needs to have CA plates. A non-resident can get CA plates for a car that resides in CA, so the whole "It's registered to my parents and I'm just borrowing it for school" line is going to fall on deaf ears if you're caught.

If your car passes a sniffer test just find a guy that will overlook the visual violations, I'm sure someone on here knows someone, every car and truck forum has at least one guy with a hook up.

kentwat
03-08-2010, 06:55 AM
He isn't a full time resident. Drive the f'er and stink up Cali!! nbl

carotman
03-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Let's say you live in Oregon and drive to California in order to meet an old friend. Your friend wants to go to the grocery store but your car happens to be blocking the driveway. You kindly offer your friend to take your car and drive it to the grocery store.

What will happen if your friend gets caught?

Someone that lives in California cannot drive a car that's registered outside the State? I doubt it. What happens with U-Haul trucks? They're all registered in Arizona.

Harrison_Bergeron
03-08-2010, 10:03 AM
If he is here for six months of the year living in a dorm, he is not "just visiting". If someone sees the same OR plated car parked in the same place every day for more than 20 days (I think that is how long you have when you move here) and wants to make a stink they can report you and you will get penalized.

You guys need to look up the actual laws before you give people advice.

Link:
http://www.chp.ca.gov/prog/cheaters.cgi

Did you know that vehicle registration fees are due immediately upon accepting employment or establishing residency in the State of California?

carotman
03-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Granted he's not just visiting but this isn't his car either.

Is there a law that restrict the use of someone else's car in Cali?

Like I said, all U-Haul trucks are plated in Arizona.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-Haul

All trucks owned by the U-Haul corporation (including those assigned and decaled for use in Canada) display apportioned Arizona license plates that do not expire. Newer trailers in the U-Haul fleet have apportioned plates, registered in a variety of states. Some older trailers have regular expiration dates, which will be replaced with apportioned plates when they expire. In the Alaska and Hawaii markets, U-Haul registers equipment locally because those states do not have apportioned vehicle registration systems.

As far as I know, someone could rent a U-Haul truck for an entire year if they wanted and everything would be fine.

dacantu
03-08-2010, 10:31 AM
If he is here for six months of the year living in a dorm, he is not "just visiting". If someone sees the same OR plated car parked in the same place every day for more than 20 days (I think that is how long you have when you move here) and wants to make a stink they can report you and you will get penalized.

You guys need to look up the actual laws before you give people advice.

Link:
http://www.chp.ca.gov/prog/cheaters.cgi

harrison dont take this the wrong way but im just curious to know if you're just looking out for this guy or if you are a smog freak?

Harrison_Bergeron
03-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Commercial vehicles and vehicles designed for crossing state lines regularly usually have different laws than privately owned passenger vehicles, but I have not read those laws as they pertain to CA, as I have never had a reason to.

carotman
03-08-2010, 10:41 AM
The vehicle is not under his name. How can an Oregon resident register a vehicle in California if he doesn't live there?

Harrison_Bergeron
03-08-2010, 10:44 AM
harrison dont take this the wrong way but im just curious to know if you're just looking out for this guy or if you are a smog freak?

Like I said above, I believe in the sniffer test, but I loathe the visual inspection, it is just a money grab by the CARB. On my cars I just swap the stuff that wont pass visual for the stock stuff every two years, but I would imagine that that would be a fair bit more difficult if the part to be swapped was a carburetor hat needs to be tuned and such. I am surprised no one has PMed him a smog guy, that is how this stuff usually gets resolved on most other forums I frequent.

Get some one who will do the sniffer, but turn a blind eye to the aftermarket carb, go to school, if you are still here in two years when it needs to be smogged again decide on a way to deal with it then.

These cars are so old that I bet you could even find a way to camouflage the damn carb so that the only way a smog tech would know to look twice would be if he were a 3g enthusiast. <--I think this is my official advice. Use the stock airbox and filter, make your car look like the average dirty college beater and I bet you won't have any issue. If you are worried take it to some place that does pre-tests, if they catch it then find a plan B, if they don't and it passes sniffer, pay the $50 for the real test and be done with it.

Harrison_Bergeron
03-08-2010, 10:49 AM
The vehicle is not under his name. How can an Oregon resident register a vehicle in California if he doesn't live there?

There is a form for it, I'll find it later, I have to go to class.

kentwat
03-08-2010, 12:04 PM
I still would not worry. If you retain your Oregon license, file taxes in Oregon, then you are not a California resident. You are an Oregon resident going to school out of state. Are you having to pay out of state tuition fees at the school or regular California tuition fees? If you are paying out of state fee I wouldn't hesitate to take the out of state car there and drive it. Even if some a$$munch turns you in tell the f'er to blow me and show the police your out of state license and registration, then go on about your way. ex. Tell me half the illegals there don't have out of state plates.