PDA

View Full Version : Crank Pulley

Hick
02-28-2010, 08:22 PM
On my 85 Accord the crank pulley bolt is stuck, with impact it doesnt budge, and when i use leverage it turns the engine. Is there a way to keep it from turning so i can use massive leverage to break it loose?

Dr_Snooz
02-28-2010, 09:15 PM
If you have an autobox, drop a 1/2" impact socket extension down the timing hole. It should be big enough to keep from falling into the bellhousing. It will jam against the drive plate and prevent the engine turning.

If you have a manual, put the car in gear and leave it on the ground with the parking brake on.

Good luck.

Dr_Snooz
02-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Try oiling your gun first though.

stephensimmons
03-01-2010, 09:52 AM
On my 85 Accord the crank pulley bolt is stuck, with impact it doesnt budge, and when i use leverage it turns the engine. Is there a way to keep it from turning so i can use massive leverage to break it loose?

The last time i had one like that i ended up getting an adapter to fit the socket on my one inch drive impact that i use to change the tires on my 18 wheeler to get it off an it had to hammer two or three times before it could get it loose! And i got a 1600ft lb impact.

stat1K
03-01-2010, 10:45 AM
whenever i've had to change the belt or remove the pulley for any reason i leave the car on the ground, put it in fifth, and have someone stand on the brake... so far this has worked for me... if you have extensive trouble try to wedge the flywheel. i imagine these practices + an impact gun would only be more successful.

Hick
03-02-2010, 07:50 PM
It is an auto.

Hick
03-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Plus my impact sucks to begin with

nfs480
03-02-2010, 08:12 PM
What is your impact rated at? Do you know? I'm just curious

itzdave
03-02-2010, 08:24 PM
whenever i've had to change the belt or remove the pulley for any reason i leave the car on the ground, put it in fifth, and have someone stand on the brake... so far this has worked for me... if you have extensive trouble try to wedge the flywheel. i imagine these practices + an impact gun would only be more successful.

thats how i always do it!

Hick
03-12-2010, 08:54 PM
If you have an autobox, drop a 1/2" impact socket extension down the timing hole. It should be big enough to keep from falling into the bellhousing. It will jam against the drive plate and prevent the engine turning.

If you have a manual, put the car in gear and leave it on the ground with the parking brake on.

Good luck.

Not to sound stupid, but where would the timing hole be?

Dr_Snooz
03-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Where the transmission mates to the block, there will be a little cut-out hole. It will be toward the front of the car and in a place where it would be easy to shine a timing light. Whatever you drop down the hole MUST be large enough that it doesn't fall into the hole where you can't get it back out. If that happens, you will have a big problem.

ecogabriel
03-13-2010, 06:49 AM
I "hydrolocked" mine to get the bolt loosened; basically, with #1 getting into compression stroke, I removed the spark plug and pour some engine oil in #1 then I reinstalled the spark plug and continue the compression stroke manually.
Eventually, the engine will lock because oil cannot be compressed and I was able to apply all the force to the breaker bar and remove the bolt.
Be warned, though, that you should remove the oil before restarting your engine... and you'll see quite a bit of smoke coming out of the exhaust afterwards... maybe if you let it sit overnight most of the oil will find its way to the crankcase and you'll reduce the amount of smoke