PDA

View Full Version : time to paint the trim

Micah 89LXi
10-06-2002, 10:55 PM
im trying like hell to do little things to make my car look better..since its 3 colours now...grey..dark grey and blue :-(..freakin jeep..anyways what kinda trim piant should i be lookin for and where might i find it..and what do i need to do to make the paint stick...im gona wax the hell out of it tommorow..after i wash it..i still dont have enough to paint it cause my alt just died and i had to fix that to drive......any other idea's to make it look decent...again i muct say anyone who still has sealed beam lights..get the conversions...they are soo worth it..so yeah trim paint...uhh help...and also any other things i could do to make it look better

Micah

Mike89Accordcom
10-07-2002, 01:31 AM
Go to an autopart store, tell them what your doing, and they can help ya out. Just make sure and be careful when painting.

87blueaccorddx
10-07-2002, 03:21 AM
yea all u need to do is go to ur local store and the best kind to get is an exterior paint that has some kinda gloss in it, because if u dont and its a little rough wen u wax it the wax will stay on ur molding and u will never get it off and u will need to paint it all over again, good luck!

89AccordNate
10-07-2002, 07:27 AM
Go to the auto parts store and buy flexible bumper and trim primer. You will need to sand the stuff lightly first. And buy some paint prep. I cant say enough how much the prepping of the surface makes the paint stay on so much better. If you prep it really well with paint prep then the surface will be clean and the paint will stick so much better. After lightly sanding and priming then use your top coat which is probably the paint matched to the car. If you can, buy the paint with a flex agent in it since its going on a plastic surface. Dont go crazy and hit it with light coats first.

Nate.

pearldrop
10-07-2002, 10:06 AM
You don't want to use primer on plastic. Primer is only made for surfaces where paint would touch bare metal.
You also don't need a flex agent in the plastic trim. The best thing you can do is to use a red scotch brite pad and lightly scuff the trim. Use a professional quality degreaser to clean it several times... and then do it 5 more times after you think you are done.

I had mine painted this way for 7 years and I put 150,000 miles on the car like that with no chips or flaking.

89AccordNate
10-07-2002, 10:26 AM
No primer on plastic? What in the world. Why would they make it if you arent supposed to use it? The primer acts as a base so the paint can stick to the surface. It also helps to fill in any inperfections on the original surface that the paint may not be able to fill.

Nate.

Mike89Accordcom
10-07-2002, 10:42 AM
Yeah I did mine the same as pearldrop did!

HostileJava
10-07-2002, 04:33 PM
Don't they make primer for plaster?