PDA

View Full Version : More combo switch issues ?

parkersnine
03-02-2010, 12:33 PM
When we brought the '88 dx home the low beams did not work(only high beams). Since then there have been a few times that they "magically" work then go back to only high beam. Could this be a combo switch issue? I have a new headlight to try out but think its unlikely that both low beams would go out at the same time. This is a two door coupe. Will any 86-89 combo switch interchange? Have access to a '86 Accord sedan.

ghettogeddy
03-02-2010, 12:55 PM
check fuses and relays
then check the wires up front for corrosion or cuts
then go to combo switch

russiankid
03-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Pull yours out and clean it. There is a how-to in the how to section.

parkersnine
03-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Have you heard of this happening before with a combo switch that was just dirty? Was looking in shop manual about how to pull it. Was hoping it was more like an Acura Cl (1997)and could be removed w/o the steering wheel being pulled out. That obviously is not the case here.

russiankid
03-02-2010, 01:52 PM
I had the same issue, cleaned the switch and all has been well.

parkersnine
03-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Well.. I will have to take it out and clean it then.. Thanks for the information.

stephensimmons
03-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Mine is doing the same thing so if you can clean it and im pretty sure you can like the other guy said then do so. I know if when i turn my lights on and if they dont come on if i twist it a lil harder towards the on position it will come on. So cleaning or a used one would be the way to go UNLESS you got 180.00 to give advance for one!

jasonrebellion
03-02-2010, 06:48 PM
when i bought my car my headlights were hot wired straight through the dummy switch opening next to the cruise button...i had to wire nut them together when i wanted headlights...but only my low beams didn't work, so i replaced the switch....i got one off ebay from an 88 and it cost me like 50 bucks.

parkersnine
03-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Was looking on Ebay but only saw new ones. Will keep watching. There is a wrecked '86 Accord not too far from here I think I can get one from just in case the repair listed in the thread is not successful.

Dr_Snooz
03-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Are you seriously considering spending hard earned money and shipping on an unknown part when you could spend an hour cleaning yours for free?

lostforawhile
03-03-2010, 07:39 PM
PM russiankid, he did a great writeup on it, some of the 86-87 switches aren't even available anymore. it's best to fix yours it takes some work, but its worth the work

russiankid
03-03-2010, 07:56 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60916

parkersnine
03-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the instructions..Got a 86 combo switch from the junkyard today before taking a part the original one. It appears to have slightly different center. Mine has a copper tab that contacts the bottom of the steering wheel @ the base. The '86 did not..Anyway.Took a part the original one and cleaned as per Russiankids instructions. The high and low beams now work.Now to resolve the lack of turn signals.When on 4way the right side will work, No other time. Also have brake lights but no night time running lights in rear.