PDA

View Full Version : front speakers

CzEcHy
03-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Alright so, I have sony 6.25 in the back, and the model before the 6.25's for the front (5 1/4) or whatever..

The back hits hard for its size, great treble and some window shaking, seat vibrating bass..

Front are like 5 rms less than the back, both are 4 way speakers I believe, though front may be 3way..

Anyway my point, I can barely hear the front! I have a pioneer headunit and have had it over a year.

I've even put the back speakers in the front, and they are really quiet to in the front.

Any ideas what may be wrong? I've tried adjusting the balance to the front more but it doesn't do anything noticable...

charliekuney
03-04-2010, 07:32 PM
They're in a different position, for one thing. That makes a huge difference.

Joay
03-05-2010, 05:59 AM
:werd:

If the front speakers are smaller 1 or 2-way, they're probably not meant to push lower frequencies like the 6.25s are. The higher the frequency, the more directional the sound, which is why you see people with tweeters up on the pillar. Other than that, you might try running new wires if you haven't already. I'm pretty sure my front speakers don't even work because the 1988 wiring is still in there.

w261w261
03-05-2010, 06:48 AM
Are both right and left channels up front equally low volume? When you adjust the fade to the front only, are you saying that the rears are totally quiet and the fronts are just barely putting out sound?

I'd like to say it is a wiring problem, but it would be almost too much of a coincidence if both the right and left channels were bad. Has it always been this way, or did it just start?

Sounds like a problem with the amplifier to me. Time to pull the radio and trouble-shoot.

Bluntman
03-05-2010, 06:55 AM
Are both right and left channels up front equally low volume? When you adjust the fade to the front only, are you saying that the rears are totally quiet and the fronts are just barely putting out sound?

I'd like to say it is a wiring problem, but it would be almost too much of a coincidence if both the right and left channels were bad. Has it always been this way, or did it just start?

Sounds like a problem with the amplifier to me. Time to pull the radio and trouble-shoot.

You read my mind.:cheers:

CzEcHy
03-05-2010, 07:18 AM

Yes the front are totally quiet, barely any treble let alone any bass at all when I adjust the fade. When I got the car it had the original cardboard speakers still in it so I never thought anything of it until I slowly added the stereo then the back speakers then 2 months ago got the front and noticed barely any increase from the old speakers to the new (1way 50w max to 4way 270w max. Lol)

Its just confussing, I thought maybe a tad thicker gauge wire would help maybe? Dunno

Hauntd ca3
03-06-2010, 12:41 AM
the big thing that people get suckered into is thinking that higher powered speakers are louder, thats bs. for the same input power, they are quieter.
look at the db per watt @ 1 meter rating of a 50 watt speaker and a 270 watt speaker.
the 50 watt speaker will have a higher db rating, i can bet its higher than the 270 watt one.
if a speaker has say a rating of 92db/meter with 1 watt input and the 270 watt one has 86db/meter at 1 watt input, the 270 watt speaker will require 4 or more times the input powr to make the same volume as the 50 watt speaker.
so if you are driving it with a head unit that says its 50watts rms per channel, it will need that 50 watts with a 200 watt speaker to get the same volume as teh 50 watt speaker will with 12.5 watts.
sounds screwy, but thats the way that spl works.
run decent speaker cable for a start, factory stuff is rubbish if you want quality sound.
get an amp to run all speakers. a head unit that says 50 watts per channel rms is distorting to hell to make 50 watts. prob somewhere in the region of 10% thd which believe me you will hear. anything above .5% thd you will hear.
aim for an amp that makes 50 watts per channel at .1 % thd or less and your ears will thank you.
get speakers that are rated lower than the amps rms output.
then the amp isnt working to give you good volume.
before you go buy stuff, resaerch it.
dont believe what salesmen say, its all bullshit, unless you know the guy is a known car audio nutter.
stuff on the display sounds way diff than what it duz in the car.
shop around, you can find real good stuff at pawn shops.
my whole stereo cost me $2500 and it sound better than systems costing 5 times as much, because i researched and shopped around.
sorry to go on a bit, but car audio is one of my passions

CzEcHy
03-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Ok new question.

Remote turnon wire on an amp, where do I connect the non amp side into? Anyway I can run it to a back speaker wire or does it have to go to my head unit?

If so what wire do I connect it to behind headunit.

Thanks

Bass Man
03-07-2010, 12:27 AM
Remote turn-on is Blue with a white stripe on the head unit. If you hook it to the solid blue wire, it should only power in "Tuner" mode.

CzEcHy
03-07-2010, 06:17 AM
Much appreciated.

Anyway I can run it to one of the back speaker wires tho? I don't want to rehassle with the wires of my headunit really.

If not I guess I can manage

CzEcHy
03-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Alright got it all wires, turned on, had bass, then lost it aka protect mode on amp, fixed it, now its doing it again..

Why is it going into protect mode and does anyone know a common problem?

300w max amp, 1000w max sub

Bluntman
03-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Alright got it all wires, turned on, had bass, then lost it aka protect mode on amp, fixed it, now its doing it again..

Why is it going into protect mode and does anyone know a common problem?

300w max amp, 1000w max sub

There are different variables. So I just did a google to start you off. And maybe something will hit home with you. Hope it gets you going in the right direction at least.:cheers:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=qhO&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&ei=LxyUS4XMEI7mswPy3sybBQ&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CAUQBSgA&q=why+is+my+amplifier+keep+going+into+protect+mode +car+audio&spell=1

Bass Man
03-07-2010, 04:24 PM
You're running a 60-150w RMS amp to a 400-500 watt RMS sub? Don't expect much out of it. What sub and amp do you have?

CzEcHy
03-07-2010, 05:48 PM
You're running a 60-150w RMS amp to a 400-500 wat
t RMS sub? Don't expect much out of it. What sub and amp do you have?

Pioneer 10 inch

50$ Duel amp from walmart..

When I did have it working, at 20 volume it was getting to me having to raise my voice to almost a yell to talk to my passenger...

Worked enough for me I didn't want to wake up a neighborhood lol

Bass Man
03-07-2010, 07:32 PM
What model Pioneer? If you have dual voice coils (2 sperate sets of terminals on the basket) and run them in parellel, then bridge the amp, it won't take long for that to go into Protect.

ericdesouza
03-11-2010, 07:00 PM
HONDA ACCORD EX 1993
I just recently acquired the car mentioned in the title, I need to replace the front 2 speakers and also it did not come with rear speakers. I was hoping somebody could give me the speaker specifications.

Bass Man
03-11-2010, 08:26 PM
www.CB7Tuner.com (http://www.CB7Tuner.com) for 4g (90-94?) Accords

3ERDGEECARBHATCH
07-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Just out of curiousioty, did you do a phase check on your fronts? They will sound quieter if they are levelled out in the center, vice left to right.... try fading all the way forward and then go from all the way left to all the way right... see if it changes anything. If this is the case, then the polarity on one of your speakers, or both are reversed which means you need to swap positive for negative on the speaker or at the deck... doesn't really matter which end you do it at.

Good Luck! Hope you got it sorted.