PDA

View Full Version : New Here, If I can find a darn 3g I will be a regular

Harrison_Bergeron
03-05-2010, 11:08 PM
First, I am from Huntington Beach, CA.

I am a desert racing enthusiast, and have started 4 project trucks now, and sold them all without doing a damn thing to them because I have a tendency to choose projects that take way more time and resources than I have.

One of the resource drains I have is that I daily drive a beaten '95 Ram with a 5.9l which I think gets <10 mpg. So, I had the bright idea that if I got a 4 cylinder beater car for less than $500 I would have a mini project and a DD that would save me money. The car would have to be something that is a body style that most people don't care for(cheaper) and that has some level of aftermarket support(a car that parts can't be found for is not a good project for someone with a limited budget), and it has to be able to drive home(my projects are never driveable, which I think contributes to them never getting anywhere). My first idea was an early 80s Mustang, the 2.3 can be a power house and parts are cheap, but the only way to get power and stay CARB legal (I believe in the sniffer test) would be a v8 swap, which defeats the purpose. Then I remembered- I like the old hatchback accords. This led me to Google, which led me to Legend_Master's build thread, which showed me all the fun things that can be done to a 3g Accord for relatively cheap.

The problem is that these damn things are really hard to find. I am pretty set on an automatic(I'm lazy), and fuel injection(if the project worked I would eventually want a B-series in it, and again, am too lazy to swap a full harness). I am not even all that picky on the body style, I like the hatch, I like the coupe, and I could tolerate the sedan, but they are surprisingly hard to find. I found one in the South Bay with cooling issues, but it sold before I could check it out, and there is another one in Costa Mesa, but the guy won't respond, the only other one is in up by Gorman, but the ad says the tranny is shot(would need to be towed).

I've checked Craigslist extensively, Autotrader has nothing, Cars.com has nothing, do you guys know where else I should look.

I kind of wrote a lot, but whatever, the above is why I am here.

ghettogeddy
03-06-2010, 12:04 AM
look out side of your range maybe up here in the bay area
i have managed 3 fully running cars all for under 500 each

all 3gs
my 88lx was 300
my 89lx was 400
my 87lxi hatch was 500

charliekuney
03-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Beautiful third-gens always show up in the Seattle Craig's List. I know that's a bit far, but if you want a good start for cheap...

Harrison_Bergeron
03-06-2010, 11:49 AM
If I go too far to get one it sort of defeats the purpose of finding one that runs, cost wise. There is one close that needs an alternator, but is a stick and carbed, this one will be my fall back.

I am sort of brainstorming as far as the one that has a blown trans and is 50 miles away. It has nice body, and the engine bay is really clean, but I don't know if my truck is in good enough shape to tow a car through the grape vine, plus having a trans rebuilt could be really expensive, BUT from what I have read the trans issue could be as simple as dirty old fluid and a loose TV cable.

ghettogeddy
03-06-2010, 12:01 PM
If I go too far to get one it sort of defeats the purpose of finding one that runs, cost wise. There is one close that needs an alternator, but is a stick and carbed, this one will be my fall back.

I am sort of brainstorming as far as the one that has a blown trans and is 50 miles away. It has nice body, and the engine bay is really clean, but I don't know if my truck is in good enough shape to tow a car through the grape vine, plus having a trans rebuilt could be really expensive, BUT from what I have read the trans issue could be as simple as dirty old fluid and a loose TV cable.

you could also just grab one from the jy for cheap and should be able to replace in a day or so

Pico
03-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Chino (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/1631596686.html)
Longbeach (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/1628059349.html)
Northridge (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/1624350236.html)
Claremont (http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/1590594209.html)
They are kind of pricey but you may be able to negotiate.
Good Luck Hunting :wave:

w261w261
03-06-2010, 12:15 PM
I would try to get a fuel injected car. I have one myself, and every time I read posts with the problems people have centered on vacuum leaks, other carb issues etc I'm glad I'm on the other side. Also, the f.i. cars have 20 more horsepower, that's 20% more horsepower in our case, not something to be lightly dismissed.

Maybe you get tied up in SoCal traffic a lot, and that's why you want an automatic. I guess that's a suitable reason, certainly better than "I'm lazy," but a clutch is a lot simpler than a slush box, and you can repair a clutch yourself. You'll get better mileage with a stick too.

Just check c/l every day. Something will come your way.

mkymonkey
03-06-2010, 12:20 PM
ill keep a look out for ya...btw im in newport...we're having a meet on the 13th...you down?

Harrison_Bergeron
03-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Maybe you get tied up in SoCal traffic a lot, and that's why you want an automatic. I guess that's a suitable reason, certainly better than "I'm lazy," but a clutch is a lot simpler than a slush box, and you can repair a clutch yourself. You'll get better mileage with a stick too.

I have never had to drive a stick, I've learned in a car, and I used to have a quad, but I've never had to drive one regularly enough for it to become thoughtless like it is for most stick drivers. I know I could do it, but there would be a bit of a learning curve as far as knowing when to up and down shift.

I think I have opened up to a stick, my commute to school is only like 4 miles with no real stops or inclines, so it would be a good stretch to gain some seat time on before tackling anything twisty or mountainous.

I am pretty set on fuel injection at this point, unless someone gives me a carb model I don't see any reason I would choose that route. It would just be so much more work to get CARB legal power, it's probably not even possible.

Also, I am pretty set on a hatchback, I do like the coupe and sedan, but really only in certain colors, so that would be the absolute last resort.

Harrison_Bergeron
03-06-2010, 10:11 PM
I think I have a plan of action now. Originally, I wanted a car to drive while I fixed my truck, the tie rods and brakes are all shot and it needs am alignment before it kills another set of tires, BUT I really want a 3g. So, my plan is to order the parts I still need for my truck, get it good enough to tow with, then pick up the 3g with the blown trans. A blown trans is a bigger fix than I wanted to deal with, but this one has a way better body than all the others, so I think it will even out in the end. This way my truck will be in top shape to drive while I work on the 3g, and I can use the 3g when I am upgrading the truck.

Now, to figure out whether I want to: try and rebuild the trans myself, buy a junkyard trans and hope it works, or take out the trans and have it fixed professionally.

ShyBoyCA6
03-06-2010, 10:39 PM
if you want ill sell you mine..

Sike!!!! nah im kidding man ill never sell my sleeper but if you want one fuel injection come down to the san fernando valley bro you will find these cars running and looking better than mine(fucking paint is peeling off) and some of them are for sale you just gotta look hard and and take time on finding one you like.

Harrison_Bergeron
03-06-2010, 11:04 PM
I've found one I like that I think I will get for cheap, and it looks to be in awesome shape (except for the trans) compared to all the others in the price range, plus it is an LXi, plus it is a hatch, plus it is a color I like. The only issue now is whether it will sell before I am ready to pick it up.

dacantu
03-07-2010, 12:39 AM
welcome aboard man. hope it works out for you.

w261w261
03-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Unless the trans is blown in 5th, which you can fix w/o taking it out, you might be better off just getting one from a JY. Usually, they will do a replacement guarantee if it doesn't work. If you're doing the labor that could work well for you.

Don't worry on learning to drive a stick. It's about 15 minutes worth of effort.

charliekuney
03-07-2010, 11:05 AM
...plus it is a color i like.

ssm!?!

Harrison_Bergeron
03-07-2010, 12:17 PM
That means Seattle Silver Metallic, right?

No, it's an '86, looks like it is probably Graphite Grey Metallic like Legend_Master's. The only color I would seek out over the dark grey would be one of the gold/champagne colors, but those don't look to have ever been available on the LXi, so that is moot.

charliekuney
03-07-2010, 09:03 PM
http://3geez.wiki-tv.com/Available_colors

Harrison_Bergeron
03-07-2010, 10:18 PM
That is what I was referencing, the car is a dark gray '86, so I assume that is Graphite Gray Metallic. From the small craigslist pics it looks like the clear coat is as glossy as it was 20 years ago. If it works out I am thinking some folks are gonna be jealous of the score.

Civic Accord Honda
03-07-2010, 11:13 PM
ssm!?!

ssm is a nice color how ever not the best IMO lol. i dont care much for it on 3gees.. (one reason i rattle canned mine) but i do love it on CB's... my favorite 3g color is polar white and Britney blue metallic

Harrison_Bergeron
03-18-2010, 09:04 AM
So, I found a black '89 coupe with an auto and probably the best stock interior one will find, it had a bad cooling system and expired tags. I didn't drive it when I went to look at it because I knew it was going to need work and a running engine was all I cared about, it started and ran, that was all that mattered, if it broke down as soon as I got it out of the driveway I would just call AAA.

Well, I had my mom drive me to pick it up this morning, when she realized I hadn't driven it she was shocked. So, to appease my mother I got in to do a hot lap around the parking lot before we started the paperwork, it took a few cranks to start, but it started, although it ran rough, I put it in reverse, it puttered, it died without having moved a foot, it wouldn't start again. It cranks fine, so the battery and starter are good, and I could hear the fuel pump prime, I couldn't think of anything else to check without having to disassemble stuff with tools. I told him that if he got it running I would come back, and that if he wanted to sell it for cheaper I would consider it, but I still don't have my 3g.

I can't believe how hard this process is being.

Bluntman
03-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Where are you at in Huntington? I am in West Garden Grove. The 22 and Valley View. By where Bolsa Chica changes in to Valley View.

Harrison_Bergeron
03-18-2010, 12:17 PM
By Beach and Adams, close to Main St.

Bluntman
03-18-2010, 12:26 PM
By Beach and Adams, close to Main St.

Cool I know it. The Pick Your Part at Beach and Ball Rd in Stanton is a good spot for parts if you know what you are looking for also.

Harrison_Bergeron
03-18-2010, 05:01 PM
I was hoping I'd have a reason to check out the pick a part this weekend, I've been there once or twice for little throw away parts to get a truck mobile, but never for parts to actually fix or upgrade something.

Bluntman
03-22-2010, 05:32 AM
So did you ever get the car?

Harrison_Bergeron
03-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Nope, I almost had a black coupe, but it wouldn't start the day I went to pick it up, even though it started fine the first day I looked at it. The guy says he really needs the money, so I am hoping I will still get it at a lower price. I am just going to keep watching Craigslist and be ready to jump at a moments notice.

I found the holy grail last night, but someone realized it before I did, so it sold before morning. It was an LX (with a sunroof) with a blown head gasket for $300, the tags were expired so they were willing to negotiate on the price.

Harrison_Bergeron
03-22-2010, 03:55 PM
I am supposed to pick up my Black LXi Coupe tomorrow.

ShyBoyCA6
03-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Pics we want to see pics when you get it :D

Bluntman
03-22-2010, 05:37 PM
I am supposed to pick up my Black LXi Coupe tomorrow.

I was going to say I hope you get a fuel injected model. Better in the long run.

ShyBoyCA6
03-22-2010, 06:07 PM
I was going to say I hope you get a fuel injected model. Better in the long run.

I agree with you.

And harrison it would be easier for you to work on this car for any lil mods you wanna do so best of luck on your 3g

Harrison_Bergeron
03-22-2010, 09:55 PM
The body on mine is pretty beat, but I love the ivory interior, it is just plain sexy. It has some sun rotted areas on the tops of the side panels, but the seats, dash and console look pristine.

With any luck I'll know why it wont start by the end of the day tomorrow, and will have it running by the end of the weekend.

Bluntman
03-23-2010, 05:12 AM
The body on mine is pretty beat, but I love the ivory interior, it is just plain sexy. It has some sun rotted areas on the tops of the side panels, but the seats, dash and console look pristine.

With any luck I'll know why it wont start by the end of the day tomorrow, and will have it running by the end of the weekend.

Let me know if you need any help. I am not far from you at all.

ShyBoyCA6
03-23-2010, 05:57 AM
Be sure to take a spare battery

Not starting can be a dead battery or dirty battery cables
Make sure they are tighten down to the battery

Other problems could be fuel pump relay or fuse you should hear a whining noise when you have the key in 2 position, starter or ignition but I doubt it though but it can happen check all fuses test them change old fuse for new ones if old one look in bad shape better safe than sorry. Almost forgot....check all grounds hope these are one of the problems and should be a easy fix.

Harrison_Bergeron
03-23-2010, 08:31 AM
The car started fine the first time I looked at it, then when I went to buy it it took a few tries to get it to turn over, then stalled out when I put it in reverse, and would not turn over after that. It cranks, so it is not the battery or starter, and I can hear the fuel pump prime, so it is probably not that. The guy I'm buying it from is not mechanically apt in the least, but he says he had someone look at it and they thought it was the pump. Can the pump prime when the key is turned, but still be bad?

All it takes for an engine to run is fuel, air, and spark, so first I will make sure the air intake is not blocked (highly doubtful, but easiest to check), then I will take off the cap and make sure the dizzy parts aren't worn(a fried rotor caused these symptoms on my truck once), then I will disconnect the fuel line in the engine bay and turn the key to on(if it is the pump then I won't get any gas out of the line when it primes). If none of those reveal the problem then I will have to do more research.

ShyBoyCA6
03-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Maybe the pump is bad ask the guy when the last time it was change along witht the strainer and fuel filter

Harrison_Bergeron
03-23-2010, 05:34 PM
The guy knows nothing about cars.

I have the car now, the guy thoroughly drained the battery trying to "fix" it. With no battery, working in the street, the most likely culprit I could find was that the air filter was half saturated in motor oil, and there was a puddle of it in the bottom of the air box. There are two parts in the trunk that look like old PCV valves, which I think would be a likely culprit for the oil where it shouldn't be, so that is where my research for the night will start.

I spent most of the day trying to get the damn car off the trailer, that was something I had neglected to plan out ahead of time. My plan had been to get it running on the trailer and drive it off, but with a dead battery I had to improvise. I had to ask the 40 something year old woman next door to help me push, while her 12 year old son minded the brake. Good times.

stephensimmons
03-23-2010, 06:11 PM
The guy knows nothing about cars.

I have the car now, the guy thoroughly drained the battery trying to "fix" it. With no battery, working in the street, the most likely culprit I could find was that the air filter was half saturated in motor oil, and there was a puddle of it in the bottom of the air box. There are two parts in the trunk that look like old PCV valves, which I think would be a likely culprit for the oil where it shouldn't be, so that is where my research for the night will start.

I spent most of the day trying to get the damn car off the trailer, that was something I had neglected to plan out ahead of time. My plan had been to get it running on the trailer and drive it off, but with a dead battery I had to improvise. I had to ask the 40 something year old woman next door to help me push, while her 12 year old son minded the brake. Good times.

Do you have spark?

Harrison_Bergeron
03-23-2010, 06:22 PM
The battery is dead, I'm waiting on a charger, and should be able to look for that on Thursday.

Harrison_Bergeron
03-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Ok, I got the car started and off the street. I am not 100% on what exactly fixed it.

I thought it was the oily air filter, so I took that off and it started, but it died after a few feet and would not turn over after that. This is the original problem, so the filter was not the culprit.

Next I cleaned the throttle body with a liberal amount of TB cleaner and a wire brush. It turned over and idled kind of rough, but then did start running well enough to get it in the garage. The rough running could have been due to the open TB. I'm not sure if the cleaner down the manifold was the trick, or the cleaning of the TB. I don't know why the TB being dirty would allow it to start once, but then do nothing after that.

stephensimmons
03-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Ok, I got the car started and off the street. I am not 100% on what exactly fixed it.

I thought it was the oily air filter, so I took that off and it started, but it died after a few feet and would not turn over after that. This is the original problem, so the filter was not the culprit.

Next I cleaned the throttle body with a liberal amount of TB cleaner and a wire brush. It turned over and idled kind of rough, but then did start running well enough to get it in the garage. The rough running could have been due to the open TB. I'm not sure if the cleaner down the manifold was the trick, or the cleaning of the TB. I don't know why the TB being dirty would allow it to start once, but then do nothing after that.

How long would it run for before it wouldnt start again? Your main relay could be going bad.

Harrison_Bergeron
03-24-2010, 07:58 PM
It would run for 30+ seconds, then when you put it in gear and started moving it would die, going back to park would save it momentarily, but then it would still die. After that it would just crank with no indication that it was close to actually turning over. When you'd come back the next day it would start over from the beginning.

It is very strange because wouldn't any electrical issue still have a problem after the TB cleaning? I didn't touch anything electrical, but it still ran decent for a 10 point turn to get into my garage, stationary steering wheel cranking and all. It seems very strange to me that a TB could be dirty enough to prevent a car from starting.

I am curios to see how well it starts tomorrow. If all is well I'll start working on the oily air box, and give it a good washing, then pics.

ShyBoyCA6
03-24-2010, 08:49 PM
sounds like you main relay for the pump

so answer me this when you turn it on in the morning it starts right? and when you try to turn it on in the afternoon with you turning it on and it wont start am i right? if so you got a bad relay and you can say no if this is your first 3g:D

i had the same problem with mine it wouldnt start when the car was hot inside but would start in the morning and at night but not mid day

Harrison_Bergeron
03-24-2010, 09:17 PM
No, the first time it happened was late morning(high 60s), the second was well into the afternoon(mid 70s and parked in shade). When I got it to work today it was afternoon(mid 70s).

The starting, stalling, not starting, all happens within 3-5 minutes, and seems to happen regardless of time of day or temperature.

I think this particular problem might be fixed, I wont know until I try to start it tomorrow.

Harrison_Bergeron
08-20-2010, 03:25 PM
I finally fixed the external oil leaks and plumbed in an oil catch can, the whole thing went pretty easily, and I am quite satisfied-

-that was until the idle went to hell, the oil catch can filled in 10 minutes and it started belching smoke. I borrowed a compression tester and it seems the motor is beyond shot.

So, the lesson I have learned from this car is that you should always take a compression tester with you when buying a beaten car. Granted, when I bought it I was willing to do an engine rebuild or motor swap, but now I don't have the time, money, or desire, due to another more rewarding project I just picked up.

I think I'm selling this thing before I even got a chance to drive it.

kentwat
08-20-2010, 06:07 PM
More rewarding project??? Inquiring minds want details.

Harrison_Bergeron
08-20-2010, 06:44 PM
5.0 powered Ranger prerunner.

I really want to have the accord as my commuter, it's got style, but if I'm pulling a motor and rebuilding it or paying someone else to do it then it is gonna be the 5.0.

I've got my mega millions ticket here, so who knows in a few minutes I might have enough money and time to take care of both projects.