PDA

View Full Version : Blew another headgasket.

2ndGenGuy
03-08-2010, 12:31 AM
Well this is the second headgasket I've blown on this motor (so I think). I think that the head bolts are stretched. I was going to re-ring it anyways, so I already have all the parts to replace the head gasket. I don't think it helps having the exhaust and intake manifolds hanging off the same side of the head, and me not putting the support bracket back in (lazy idiot!). Also, I'm sure driving it around as hard as it could go because I was trying to get rid of my pinging wasn't helping me any either.

So now my goal is to somehow find new headbolts or studs that I can get NEW to replace the old factory ones so that I'm not putting stretched bolts back in this time. Should be really interesting to try to find something that will work. Hopefully some NOS OEM bolts will be hanging around somewhere that I can pick up.

The strange thing was the car ran great all the way home last night. When I went to start it after sitting, it cranked half way over one turn and just stopped. Like something was blocking up the engine. Pretty sure there was some water in there. I was hoping to drive it for a couple more weeks but I guess that I'll be putting it off a while. :sadface:

AccordB20A
03-08-2010, 02:03 AM
oh noes!!, good call on the head studs though

MessyHonda
03-08-2010, 02:12 AM
that sucks...i think arp can make you custom studs...i know tommy got some on the b20 i now have

Dr_Snooz
03-08-2010, 06:54 AM
That's a ...creative... way of getting rid of pinging. Bummer about the mess though. Good luck with the repair.

w261w261
03-08-2010, 09:49 AM
That's a ...creative... way of getting rid of pinging.

LOL! Compression relief the hard way! Possible other advantages: water injection just like a WWII fighter. Nice shiny spark plug(s). New business idea: White Cloud LLC Mosquito control.

2ndGenGuy
03-08-2010, 11:33 AM
That's a ...creative... way of getting rid of pinging. Bummer about the mess though. Good luck with the repair.

LMAO, no no. I was mashing it, listening for the ping, and retarding the timing until it went away. It did eventually after I got the timing all set up right.

eduardo i.
03-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Was the gasket a Honda or federal mogul? Did you use the common cooper paint for gaskets? Has the head been decked?The act that it was loose from the head mount doest help either as you said.

Thsi smilie is fun:bandance:

1GCustomAccord
03-08-2010, 03:58 PM
LMAO, no no. I was mashing it, listening for the ping, and retarding the timing until it went away. It did eventually after I got the timing all set up right.

Is not easier with the timing lamp? :ugh:

Ichiban
03-08-2010, 04:59 PM
LMAO, no no. I was mashing it, listening for the ping, and being retarded until the compression went away.

Fixed it Lol!:kekeke:

Sucks though, sure it didn't fill up with gas or oil somehow?

2ndGenGuy
03-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Is not easier with the timing lamp? :ugh:

Not using a distributor. A fully programmable distirubutorless ignition setup is running on the car.

Was the gasket a Honda or federal mogul? Did you use the common cooper paint for gaskets? Has the head been decked?The act that it was loose from the head mount doest help either as you said.

Thsi smilie is fun:bandance:

Fel-Pro gaskets. I guess that's Federal Mogul? I don't think the gasket itself is the problem.

Fixed it Lol!:kekeke:

Sucks though, sure it didn't fill up with gas or oil somehow?

Haha yeah... I certainly did seem to get rid of the compression. I guess at this point, I'm just assuming it's blown because the coolant, which is fresh, was murky brown, and the car is only acting like it's running on one or two cylinders. The weird thing was it was fine the night before, drove home just fine then the next day I went to fire it up, and poop.

eduardo i.
03-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Sometimes when heads are decked people use double spacers so the bolts torque properly.

2oodoor
03-09-2010, 02:36 PM
yes make sure it isnt bowl leak, gas washed cyl will be less or no compression..AND hydrolock depending how much!
my lx the first time it went it pooped the same way, went to go home after work and it was cutting up as soon as I started it, otherwise was fine before.

Ive seen head bolt washers work on a D15, but its a gamble...

1GCustomAccord
03-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Check the straightness of the head and upper surface of the block, if the suface is uneven, they must be rectified (head or motor or both) also when assembling use a copper spray gasket sealer or similar (there is one mark with an indian but i dont remember wich one).
I dont think the bolts stretched, but to theck this, just reinstall the head WITHOUT the head gasket and install the bolts, you will see this way if they can be threaded to the bottom or not.

eduardo i.
03-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Also we are gusing the car didnt over heat and stuff right? X2 on the cooper spray gasket sealant question; Ive always used it prior to installing the head gasket. Any pics?

Ichiban
03-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Check the straightness of the head and upper surface of the block, if the suface is uneven, they must be rectified (head or motor or both) also when assembling use a copper spray gasket sealer or similar (there is one mark with an indian but i dont remember wich one).
I dont think the bolts stretched, but to theck this, just reinstall the head WITHOUT the head gasket and install the bolts, you will see this way if they can be threaded to the bottom or not.

Also we are gusing the car didnt over heat and stuff right? X2 on the cooper spray gasket sealant question; Ive always used it prior to installing the head gasket. Any pics?

Most Fel-Pro or OEM head gaskets in north america state that they WILL FAIL if any kind of sealer is applied to them.

1GCustomAccord
03-10-2010, 07:12 AM
Most Fel-Pro or OEM head gaskets in north america state that they WILL FAIL if any kind of sealer is applied to them.

I used the OEM gasket in my Accord with copper spray and the motor is still running very healthy since 2001, never a water leak or overheating, even in a weather of 43 celsius in summer.

2oodoor
03-10-2010, 11:10 AM
yes it's called coppercoat, and it works I guess.. aerosol paint basically with lots of metal solids
I don't use it but Ive seen it used without issues.

2ndGenGuy
03-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Car didn't overheat, didn't use any sealant, head and block were both decked when I rebuilt the engine. I'm going to check the surfaces with a straightedge this time just to be sure, but I'm 98% certain nothing is warped. I can't believe that a headgasket would last me a year with a warped head. Been searching around the 1stgencivic forums, and there seems to be a pretty high instance of people experiencing this same problem. 10,000 miles or so, headgasket pops.

2ndGenGuy
03-10-2010, 11:26 AM
yes make sure it isnt bowl leak, gas washed cyl will be less or no compression..AND hydrolock depending how much!
my lx the first time it went it pooped the same way, went to go home after work and it was cutting up as soon as I started it, otherwise was fine before.

Ive seen head bolt washers work on a D15, but its a gamble...

So a gas-washed cylinder will produce no compression? That might actually be a good explanation as to what's going on. How long before the compression builds back up? Or will it at all?

eduardo i.
03-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Yeah, Its really common on eds, my ED3 blew a while back, though it had been sitting for about 6 years without being changed. Federal mogul is not felpro as far as I know, Its way better, its suposed to be better( thats what some reviews say, its like saying Hasting rings) They also make great bearings.
Edit, yeah im a member of first gen civic too; Its the reason by which I got interested into these engines and then the car itself :)

Ichiban
03-12-2010, 06:29 PM
So a gas-washed cylinder will produce no compression? That might actually be a good explanation as to what's going on. How long before the compression builds back up? Or will it at all?

It'll be back pretty much as soon as the gas is gone, and some oil splashes up from underneath. But all that gas in the oil causes your bearings to come out in your oil change...

Lil Mike
03-12-2010, 09:33 PM
It'll be back pretty much as soon as the gas is gone, and some oil splashes up from underneath. But all that gas in the oil causes your bearings to come out in your oil change...

a washed down cylinder wall takes a long time to regain compression, you really should put a tea spoon or two of oil in the chamber to really bring it back.