PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous oxide

Edison Carasio
03-08-2010, 07:51 AM
I did a search for this topic using the search button, but the one link I found in a thread was no longer available. Is there anyone here that has gone this route rather than a swap or turbo?

stephensimmons
03-08-2010, 07:57 AM
I have used it and still am. What you wana know?

Edison Carasio
03-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Are you running it carb'd or with fuel injection? And is it the stock engine or did you do any work to build the motor first?

EDIT
Nevermind on the fuel injected. Just noticed that you have an 89 LX-i. I was considering, down the road, entertaining the possibility of a Weber set up with nitrous oxide, but wanted to research it on these engines first (or if it was even possible/worth doing etc).

stephensimmons
03-08-2010, 08:23 AM
Its stock fuel injected with a cold air intake and a apexi safc

Edison Carasio
03-08-2010, 08:40 AM
Based on my preliminary research, it looks like a wet-single point system would be best for my carb'd Accord. But I think I would want to upgrade the pistons and rods to something more durable. Can I ask what type of system you run?

stephensimmons
03-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Well im fuel injected so i run the ZEX dry system that is activated through the TPS and uses the fuel preessure regulator to add the extra fuel.

Edison Carasio
03-08-2010, 08:57 AM
From what I understand, since I'm carb'd, the NO would be sprayed in at the base of the throttle body.

stephensimmons
03-08-2010, 09:06 AM
From what I understand, since I'm carb'd, the NO would be sprayed in at the base of the throttle body.

Yes it is. the correct way to instal it is if they make a plate for your carb setup or you could drill your intake and install a fogger setup an that setup could be set as low as 60hp

Edison Carasio
03-08-2010, 10:05 AM
With the right exhaust set up and proper tuning, I'd imagine it would be good for about 160-170 hp on the nitrous. But I'm paranoid and would want to waste money on customer pistons, sleeving the block, valve springs etc etc etc. At least would probably be easier than a swap and cheaper than converting to fuel inject and going turbo =/

stephensimmons
03-08-2010, 11:49 AM
With the right exhaust set up and proper tuning, I'd imagine it would be good for about 160-170 hp on the nitrous. But I'm paranoid and would want to waste money on customer pistons, sleeving the block, valve springs etc etc etc. At least would probably be easier than a swap and cheaper than converting to fuel inject and going turbo =/

I have seen 175 hp shot on one but I've done 125 hp shot BUT you will need a way to pull atleast 8 degrees of timing (retard) and i disconnected my vaccum advance before i did it and also i recommend a nos progressive unit so that you dont shoot all that at once! Because a 125 hp much less a 160-175 hp could kill a stock 5.0 v8 so you wana be careful when going that high on a 2.0L I4.

Edison Carasio
03-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Ok cool. I doubt I would do this, but I'm just researching ALL options for performance on my Accord at the moment.

And do you mean the nitrous ALONE produced an additional 125 hp? I'm talking maybe an additional +60 on top of my stock 100 hp for a total of 160 hp. I want to make sure I'm not reading wrong.

stephensimmons
03-08-2010, 12:43 PM
lol!!!!!!!! I misunderstood you then. you can do 35-60 additional hp with no problem ad that would get you bout 170 hp with the nos. I was doing 125 hp of nos on top of my 120 hp stock engine which totled 255 hp and was on hell of a ride but im always pushing the limits BUT i only did it once and wouldnt recomend it unless you wana build another engine or you got one to swap out. Now i got a 75hp shot an i run my base timing 2 degres retared. so if you jus wana add just another 50-60 hp you'll be fine PROVIDING your engine is in good shape as with any other power adder.

Edison Carasio
03-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Ok cool that sounds more than sufficient. Although if I had several grand to spend, a full block honing, sleeving, customer forged pistons and rods, cam regrind, good tune from a shop and the 125 hp shot would be awesome to spank some of the nasty Mustangs and Camaros around here in an old ass Accord. lol But that would be a looooong time away. I think the machine shop work with a low boost of nitrous would be fun. Machining the enginen would give me years worth of mileage outta it, and would beef it up for the nitrous I suppose.

stephensimmons
03-08-2010, 01:07 PM
But sence you said you were thinking of a build anyway I would save the money exspecialy if you were going to buy a new nos system and just build you a nice n/a 10.50 compression engine if you know your not gona wana put a turbo on it. Almost everything would be custom though on the internals except the rods but you could get up to 140 hp and with higher compression probly the 160-175 hp your wanting maybe a little more but you go have to get it to breath!

stephensimmons
03-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Ok cool that sounds more than sufficient. Although if I had several grand to spend, a full block honing, sleeving, customer forged pistons and rods, cam regrind, good tune from a shop and the 125 hp shot would be awesome to spank some of the nasty Mustangs and Camaros around here in an old ass Accord. lol But that would be a looooong time away. I think the machine shop work with a low boost of nitrous would be fun. Machining the enginen would give me years worth of mileage outta it, and would beef it up for the nitrous I suppose.

Hell i could make a stock mustang go to work now if he cant drive it an if he/she spins the race is over!

Edison Carasio
03-08-2010, 01:16 PM
The car is carb'd so I guess I have alot of options on the table. I got the car for free, and my girlfreind is helping with basic repairs in terms of money (clutch, trans, body work to fix the rust). I think that the naturally aspirated built motor with high compression and possibly nitrous is the best option, but going nitrous with a built motor I could end up blowing it to kingdom come and wasting like $3000 worth of machine work.

stephensimmons
03-08-2010, 01:26 PM
The car is carb'd so I guess I have alot of options on the table. I got the car for free, and my girlfreind is helping with basic repairs in terms of money (clutch, trans, body work to fix the rust). I think that the naturally aspirated built motor with high compression and possibly nitrous is the best option, but going nitrous with a built motor I could end up blowing it to kingdom come and wasting like $3000 worth of machine work.

Well that just depends on how much you add. If i spent 3000.00 in a engine i wouldnt be shooting no 125 ho on it! I wouldnt go over 50hp! 75hp at the most with proper tuning and that would only be used if money was on the line and i mean some money!

ghettogeddy
03-08-2010, 01:31 PM
and you have to remember that he said 50hp that 50% more then stock lol thats nothing to wag your tail at thats a huge difference, start small.

Edison Carasio
03-08-2010, 01:39 PM
lol I know I gotta start small. That's why I own a CA5 Accord and a GD3 Fit. :) Just driving the two I can tell that I want to make the Accord the project. It's 20 years older but handles just as well as my Fit, which is more than capable in it's own right. I have the suspension planned out, I have how the exterior and interior will look but now I have to work on go fast planning. And I think building my carb'd engine with a Weber will be a better option for me (me personally) and building the engine. The world is my oyster I guess. Hopefully I pay the Fit off sooner so more money is free'd up for the Accord.

I guess a good idea would be just starting with upgraded carb, then stuff like plugs, wires. Then go with a cam regrind, then port/polish, then block sleeves and custom pistons (10.5 compression) THEN after all that stuff is done to make a nice reliable N/A motor, introduce a 50 shot of nitrous. By then I should be about 180-200 hp altogether? I guess for less work I could just buy an Integra or something, but then I'd just be like everyone else.

stephensimmons
03-08-2010, 01:55 PM
lol I know I gotta start small. That's why I own a CA5 Accord and a GD3 Fit. :) Just driving the two I can tell that I want to make the Accord the project. It's 20 years older but handles just as well as my Fit, which is more than capable in it's own right. I have the suspension planned out, I have how the exterior and interior will look but now I have to work on go fast planning. And I think building my carb'd engine with a Weber will be a better option for me (me personally) and building the engine. The world is my oyster I guess. Hopefully I pay the Fit off sooner so more money is free'd up for the Accord.

I guess a good idea would be just starting with upgraded carb, then stuff like plugs, wires. Then go with a cam regrind, then port/polish, then block sleeves and custom pistons (10.5 compression) THEN after all that stuff is done to make a nice reliable N/A motor, introduce a 50 shot of nitrous. By then I should be about 180-200 hp altogether? I guess for less work I could just buy an Integra or something, but then I'd just be like everyone else.

And who wants to be like everyone else?! :bandit:

Edison Carasio
03-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Talked to the girlfreind about it, she's for building the engine. Then I would still have the option of going fuel inject and turbo'd or staying carb'd and going nitrous. Still about 2 years away from having the money for that (opened a high interest savings account that I'm allocating about $200 a month to).