View Full Version : New rebuild costs for koni struts

mykwikcoupe
03-08-2010, 05:23 PM
I'll break down the costs as you're looking at a couple of options;
Rebuild Labor - $125/each
Convert to external - $60/each
Shorten - $80/each
Parts for revalve - $60-80/each

I do not know if we can add a circlip to the shock body as we do on several of the Civic
and later Accord applications as it depends on the thickness of the shock body (to see if
there is enough "meat" on them. That said, if you are going to a coilover
setup, it would be better to have a welded on ring on the damper as it ensures a solid
base to have the sleeve sit against as not all kits are designed to work on a circlip
style shock.

If you have the car 2.5-3 inches lower, then you do run the risk of bottoming the shock
out. However, HOW you lowered it also makes a difference on this. If you run a shorter
tire, for example, then the shock's travel is not affected. Also, on at least the
Civics, we find that about 1.75" to be the recommended amount of lowering for the
car. Thanks.

Gordon
This is what I got in my inbox this morning. I dont mind the cost to move to external adjustment. The cost for a rebiuld with parts isnt too bad but the fact that they may not be able to add the circlip bothers me. I know at the least they wil be shortened and moved to external adjustment. I know this would be the best time to rebiuld as well but they only have a handful of miles on them anyways. I hope this helps others as well. Mike

2drSE-i
03-08-2010, 06:34 PM
I would assume they would rebuild along with converting to external, as they have to take the thing apart anyway. They will probably bill you for both.

RobT5580
03-08-2010, 06:57 PM
88Lxi68 did his a few years ago and they are definitely nice. The cost was a bit much which has left me second guessing what i want to do. I may try the Ksports and see if they work out and keep the koni's as a backup. I really want a full body coilover so i can have it sit exactly the way i want it. But his car handles very well with what he paired it with and i would be happy with his setup.

carotman
03-09-2010, 05:16 AM
I'm pretty sure they can Add a cir clip. Gordon just didn't want to say that they can do it and bring bad news later if they can't.

I'll send back my konis to have them modified I guess.

Thanks for this thread!

MessyHonda
03-12-2010, 12:36 AM
yeah...i said i wanted to send mine in but i never had the time and money.