PDA

View Full Version : Another value thread

Harrison_Bergeron
03-11-2010, 01:58 PM
I know there is one on the front page, but that guy is trying to sell his car, and I'm trying to buy one, didn't want to hijack.

I found an '87 LXi 5-speed hatch with almost 300,000 miles, a body with only minor dings, but a broken driver door handle, and a dirty and used, but untorn interior, what should my opening bid be?

This project was only supposed to start at $500 for a running car, and I am confident that I can get an auto with shifting problems for <$300. I don't know if I am willing to offer the full $500, or if that would even be a respectable offer. If I put in the whole $500 I will have no money left to fix whatever breaks first, which should be planned for on a used car with 300,000 miles.

Do you think I could offer lower than $500 without killing my chances of a smooth negotiation?

Also, does the headlights being open, but not on indicate any sort of problem?

Here is a pic of the car.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z3/awsam/awsam2/100_0932.jpg

stephensimmons
03-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Well look at it this way if you buy the auto for 300 you gota fix the tranny an thatll most like cost you more than 500 for the car and repair. So if i was you i would buy the one for 500 that has no issues yet and go from there.

Harrison_Bergeron
03-11-2010, 03:31 PM
The auto has half the miles though, which would be better in the long run.

Do you think that $500 is a reasonable offer? Can I afford to start lower?

stephensimmons
03-11-2010, 03:36 PM
You can always try. i paid 500 for mine and it had 260,000 and no fifth gear. But its always worth a try

cubert
03-11-2010, 03:58 PM
I personally think youd be nuts to pay 500 bucks for a car with that sort of mileage...

stephensimmons
03-11-2010, 04:05 PM
I personally think youd be nuts to pay 500 bucks for a car with that sort of mileage...

It also depends on what you want.

Harrison_Bergeron
03-11-2010, 05:10 PM

That is the kind of response I'm looking for. What do you think a fair bid would be? I think the body is in great shape compared to some of the fresh purchases I've seen on 3geez, so I think it is worth buying, I am just stuck on how much the body is actually worth.

Even with the auto car I was thinking a fun project would be to pull an A20 from the junkyard and rebuild it on a stand to drop in at a later date, which would make a high mileage car like this less of a bad idea.

VIPER1988
03-11-2010, 05:26 PM
if you are going to build an engine for it then i wouldn't worry about mileage. i would be more concerned about body condition. 500 for a straight, rust free body sounds good imo.

Harrison_Bergeron
03-11-2010, 05:37 PM
What's the word on the headlights, does them being open , but not turned on indicate that the motors are toast? I looked up the cost of new motors for a previous 3g I was looking at and those seem to be the most expensive replacement part you can buy for these.

VIPER1988
03-11-2010, 05:44 PM
there is a separate button on the dash to raise the headlights w/o turning them on. so should be good.

frantik
03-12-2010, 11:15 AM
What's the word on the headlights, does them being open , but not turned on indicate that the motors are toast? I looked up the cost of new motors for a previous 3g I was looking at and those seem to be the most expensive replacement part you can buy for these.

the headlight motors could be fucked and so they just leave em open

dunno how much you should offer.. i would offer your lowest amount you want to pay and see where it goes

2oodoor
03-12-2010, 12:00 PM
how is the interior, those parts are harder to find than sedans

Harrison_Bergeron
03-12-2010, 02:40 PM
The seats look really used up, but surprisingly, they have no tears. It is an ugly blue though.

Because of the mileage and colors I think this is going to be plan B, the one with the bad auto has less miles, a better body, a better color, and a better interior.

I do have all the parts to fix my truck, so there is a good chance that if the auto one is gonna work I'll have it towed home by the end of next weekend.

1ajs
03-12-2010, 04:36 PM
who knows maybe u can get them both

cubert
03-12-2010, 07:13 PM
That is the kind of response I'm looking for. What do you think a fair bid would be? I think the body is in great shape compared to some of the fresh purchases I've seen on 3geez, so I think it is worth buying, I am just stuck on how much the body is actually worth.

Even with the auto car I was thinking a fun project would be to pull an A20 from the junkyard and rebuild it on a stand to drop in at a later date, which would make a high mileage car like this less of a bad idea.

I personally would rather find a car that had lower miles and a body thats beat up. Regardless of how reliable a car is 300k is a lot of miles, and things are going to be worn out.

Civic Accord Honda
03-12-2010, 07:26 PM
looks worth 500 to me... parts are going to be worn out on every 3gee lol. its an age thing... i paid $300 for my 91 ex coupe that had 226k miles on the cluster and hte cluster was not even working so who knows how many miles it has on it... but ive had to put $1200 in to it so far

Vanilla Sky
03-12-2010, 07:52 PM
At the age of these cars, the amount I'm willing to pay (not the value) tracks in line with what's been replaced. If the 300K hatch has been gone through and everything replaced and it works fine, then $500 is a great deal. With the dings and a worn interior, I'd look at $350 at most.

That hatch pictured seems to have decent wheels and tires. As long as the engine runs well, the transmission shifts without any grinds, and the suspension had no clunks, I'd buy it in a heartbeat at $350, and I'd consider the full $500 if there was a stack of receipts with it.