PDA

View Full Version : burn baby burn!

Immeraufdemhund
10-07-2002, 12:13 PM
Would it be possible to "burn" parts of your bumper back on. I have a deep cut in my bumper. So i was wondering if i could heat it up with some mapp gas (plumbers choice...sorry) and let it cool. I dunno, is that a dumb idea? I just want to know if anyone has tried something strange like that. If no one has i might just do it and say how it turns out. Or if you know that it's a dumb idea and i shouldn't do it..i might just do it anyway to see if i can prove you wrong. Whata think?

Dutchboy
10-07-2002, 01:52 PM
try it and see...otherwise use a filler on it.. .theres gotta be a filler that sticks to the plastic..

BEn

89AccordNate
10-07-2002, 02:23 PM
I would recommend buying a new bumper or buying some plastic filler. They do make plastic welders.....but who has one of those laying around?

Nate.

A20A1
10-07-2002, 07:32 PM
jus don't set the plastic on fire... it will continue to burn and melt the bumper.

theBeline
10-08-2002, 09:17 AM
I've got a plastic welder, what size you looking for?

Immeraufdemhund
10-08-2002, 05:33 PM
ok, well i did it today. I burnt the booger. I used mapp gas (the yellow cylinder plumbers use for soldering copper pipe) with a normal tip. I also wore leather gloves. I put the bumper on some saw horses. I knew it wouldn't take much to move it so i kept the tip of hte flame barely touching the plastic and went back and forth very quickly untill the paint started to boil (happens in like 1 second...very fast) i then took away the heat and used my thumb like a butter knife. It worked exceptionally well believe it or not. I did a couple others and if you put too much heat it will just melt the plastic and not work. You just want to warm it up enough to bend it and make it sticky. (i messed up on the smaller ones). The big one, which was like a huge cut, worked out great. There is a smaller visible line were it shrank a little, but i'm getting it repainted and should not be visible after. I could get a pic if someone wants to post. Thanx

Neuspeed87lx
10-08-2002, 06:10 PM
i got a plastic welder too

Immeraufdemhund
10-09-2002, 05:04 AM
a plastic welder???? I have a mig welder..but that's for metal... how does that welder work?

smufguy
10-09-2002, 07:58 PM
some nerd in my college came up with the idea of a spin welder. u spin two pieces of plastic u wanna jon real fast rubbin each other and the heat developed from fricktion actually bonds them both. IT was for a DMS (senior design project) project.