PDA

View Full Version : Engine Temps

88' Accord Ltd
10-07-2002, 12:20 PM
Ok so I'm in the drive thru at Mc Donalds yesterday and i notice that my temp is 3/4 the way to the top! so i turn my fans on high and roll down the windows and the temp needle did go down to about halfway. So i got it home and i changed the thermostat, at first it seemed as if it it would work then nope, same problem. The coolant is at the proper level, no leaks. It seems to want to go high like that after about 10-15 minutes of driving and when im at an idle. So i was wondering if anyone knew what the problem could be? Maybe a sensor? i duno. Mycar is an 86 carbed if that helps at all. Thanks.

Immeraufdemhund
10-07-2002, 12:24 PM
My first guess is water pump because when your driving your pushing air onto your engine cooling it off. When your at idle nothing is blowing on it to keep it cooler. I dont know any other things (because of how new i am) that would contribute to that. I wish i knew more because my lude did that. My accord did that one time also, but that is because there was a build up of sludge in the radiator, finally the pressure busted one of my hoses. That sucked. So i'd check some of of your lower hoses for rust or seomthing like that.... ps (my 100th post..yah!)

Dutchboy
10-07-2002, 12:38 PM
isnt the cooling fan coming on??

it should come on pretty well at the half way point..
so if it isnt coming on check to see if that works or not
other wise theres a switch/sensor thats supposed to turn the fan on somewhere on the radiator which could be faulty,, im not sure were...i dont have my manual presently here....

BEn

88' Accord Ltd
10-07-2002, 12:52 PM
Oh yah i forgot to say the fans work fine too, the come on and go off like they're supposed to. So maybe the water pump? Yah it does cool off while im driving also.

anchovies
10-07-2002, 12:52 PM
88' Accord Ltd: Did you change the temperature switch to aftermarkets?
If the fans are coming on at 3/4th, then you don't really have to worry about it. But if you recently changed the temperature switch, you might want to try one from honda.
That is if the fans are working!!!

88' Accord Ltd
10-07-2002, 12:54 PM
The fans come on about halfway, like they're supposed to. But the temp shouldnt even get that high without the fans working, am i right?

Dutchboy
10-07-2002, 01:50 PM
right...
well mine doesnt it cools off to below 1/2 and shuts off...mine rarely comes on if that actually...

BEn

smufguy
10-07-2002, 10:11 PM
first of all, when u drive at 80mph and somehow u get to open the hood and feel the engine bay, it is hot. the fans do not blow air on ur engine block to cool the engine. the fans are there to cool the coolent in the radiator and the coolent cools ur engine block.

check ur thermostat sensors. if u have a carb (which i guess u do from under ur handle) there is one on the thermostart, one on the bottom of the radiator. check those too accord to the tolerances in the manual. there is also one under ur intake manifold, i don know how u would even get to it.

second, u might be having a sticky thermostart. though u changed urs, check if both are working properly. if u take out the sensors, clean em good and take off the sediment they have on em. check ur fan relay too.

AC439
10-08-2002, 10:09 AM
My 86 LXi is having similar situation and I know it's the radiator. I can see rust build up inside it so it less effeciency. Even the fans are on and everying else is within spec, the temp will still goes to 3/4 scale (if it's summer time and in traffic congession). I'm would get my radiator change sometime this winter.

bigpoppa88
10-08-2002, 11:48 AM
I doubt it's the water pump, it would seem that the overheating situation would be consistent. What effect if any does the water pump have when you open your heater? If he isn't moving when he opens the heater, the idle stays the same therefore the water pump is still in effect, "ding the same work". Someone correct me if my thought process here is wrong.......

shepherd79
10-08-2002, 12:15 PM
do the system flush.
it shouldn't be that hard. get flush kit and get one of those flash solutions.
i did it on my car two years ago, and it helped with temperature problem.
if you need more info on how to flush your system PM me.