PDA

View Full Version : answer to the problems of hooking the sei wheel with stereo controls to aftermarket

lostforawhile
03-14-2010, 08:07 PM
http://www.shipsound.com/product_info.php?products_id=102843

i found this by accident after i discovered i can't solder to the contacts inside of my remote control printed on i guess. you program this with a factory remote and it has non volatile memory, you program it and it retains the program, even with no power. you select an input wire and program it to output a specific output like the factory remote

carotman
03-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Interesting product!

2oodoor
03-15-2010, 11:10 AM
you try 15 watt and silver?
very cool device there though.

lostforawhile
03-15-2010, 11:15 AM
you try 15 watt and silver?
very cool device there though.
I tried everything, it's not a metallic trace, it looks like one of those traces they print on with a machine.

lostforawhile
03-15-2010, 11:30 AM
it doesn't list 86-89 but it says analog input and it lists a 92 honda, i'm sure it's set up the same way. all those buttons on the wheel do is send a 12 volt signal out when you push them, it takes 12 volts from the horn ring and uses it as a signal voltage, if you had to you could use that voltage to operate subminature relays to provide the input signal. But I think it will allow a direct hookup, this will eliminate 10 tiny relays in my case.

dlr1989
03-15-2010, 05:19 PM
I used one of the PAC interface units, an SWI model I think, to adapt the steering wheel controls in my 01 Dodge pickup to a Kenwood head unit. It actually does work, perhaps not quite as well as a true factory setup, but much beter than not having any steering wheel controls at all.

lostforawhile
04-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Ok according to the pdf on this unit, running 12 volts directly in will damage the unit, I'm not sure on the sei wheel exactly how it's setup, but it looks like you will need a resistor between each switch on the wheel and it's output coming out of the wheel. If there aren't already some there. basically it's programmed to see a different voltage for each button pushed. I'm not sure if the sei has a different connection for each button, or it's already setup with resistors and has one contact wire for all the buttons. if it has a separate wire out of the slip ring for each button, then each output wire will need a different series resistor of between 1k and 20k

lostforawhile
04-15-2010, 08:02 AM
I will try to take a picture later, of the PAC unit, I don't have an LCD on my camera, so i'll just have to aim and hope it comes out right, The box has a resistance in input, different resistances between it and ground mean different functions, I FINALLY got the relay box working, after messing with it for hours, I discovered the wiring diagram for the 98 civic mirror switch,was wrong. all of them I printed were wrong. I finally got a correct diagram. It's nice to hear all eight relays functioning. Basically, the relays switch a different resistor depending on which side of the button you push, and if it's set on left or right. plus three other functions. Now all i need to do is shrink the heat shrink, and hot glue the tops of the relays to protect from vibration. I'm looking for an oddball item though, anyone into old guitar amps? I'm looking for a knob that says either effect or reverb. I have a Z function on the radio,that has different preset EQ setups, I thought that might be a neat way to put in the button for it.

stat1K
04-15-2010, 08:30 AM
i was born with a built in control for the radio, it's my hand.

MessyHonda
04-15-2010, 09:09 AM
why not just pop in a cd or hook up your ipod with alot of music and dont worry about the radio...most aftermarket decks come with remote controls...keep it in your armrest

lostforawhile
04-15-2010, 09:44 AM
i was born with a built in control for the radio, it's my hand.it's kind of hard to reach with the radio face installed in the dash, I had more important things to go where the radio was, like the choke knob, the primer, and the fuel pressure gauge.

why not just pop in a cd or hook up your ipod with alot of music and dont worry about the radio...most aftermarket decks come with remote controls...keep it in your armrestI have a remote control, but the PAC unit learns the remote codes, I can operate all the basic radio functions and never even have to look at the radio face or the remote, that power mirror switch is built right into the center console, it's painted black so it blends right in, I have all the basic functions like volume up and down and scan search one one side of the control, I have a function button right in the raised part of the ebrake cover, on the front of it, you can't even see it unless you know it's there, on the other side I have the band button, the Z button is where the old cigarette lighter used to be, and the mute button is in the piece that fills in the old ashtray area. everything is intuitive as far as the controls, really easy to remember. the other four functions will control the XM radio as far as scan etc. everything right under my hand. I don't use cd's in the car anymore at all, I have the ipod, i have a mount for it that attaches to the side of the console,

lostforawhile
04-15-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm having some programming issues, I'll call them tomorrow, but here's the setup. it mounts upside down to the bar that runs across the hatch,under the floor panel in the back.http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/S4021310.jpg

lostforawhile
04-15-2010, 08:20 PM
It's not accepting some control inputs as far as programming , I tested the setup without the unit and everything falls within their range of resistance, There are multiple versions you can load so I will call them tomorrow.

stat1K
04-16-2010, 08:09 AM
you clearly don't have the monkey arms that i was born with than tim. i can roll down the passenger window in my civic with a slight lean.

lostforawhile
04-16-2010, 08:40 AM
you clearly don't have the monkey arms that i was born with than tim. i can roll down the passenger window in my civic with a slight lean.

well i can roll down my passenger window too, but the radio face is mounted in the flat part of the dash, like the clock, and over on the passenger side, no way to reach it while driving, works better to have all the controls right at your fingertips. I don't ev:Den have to look at the control for the most used functions.

stat1K
04-16-2010, 08:50 AM
i know where it is i've seen where you mounted it, i think i could still reach it lol...

i know steeringwheel controls are better but i just like to give you shit.

lostforawhile
04-16-2010, 12:33 PM
i know where it is i've seen where you mounted it, i think i could still reach it lol...

i know steeringwheel controls are better but i just like to give you shit.

oh it's ok, :D no problem still trying to get it to program:toilet:

lostforawhile
04-16-2010, 07:42 PM
I Finally figured it out, even after calling tech support six times, they couldn't figure it out, I had to add an extra 330 ohm resistor in line with the input to the box. each relay switches a different resistor, but for some reason It kept rejecting the input, once i added the resistor it started working.

lostforawhile
04-17-2010, 12:30 PM
It finally programmed after about 30 tries, it's very ticky while programming, i would get to the last two functions and it kept timing out, I still need to install the additional buttons, i programmed a resistor for each button, one terminal on each push button goes to ground, the others each get a resistor that all tie together back to the box. each control input gets a different resistance. thats how the box knows what function you want. I programmed in track/search up down, volume up/down/ play pause/ function/band/mute/scan , I think there was a remote control available for my XM unit, I'm not sure. I would like to be able to scan through my favorite programmed stations by using the unused two functions on the mirror switch. the main reason for all the trouble was I hate fumbling with a remote control, especially in a five speed, now i have the most used functions right at fingertip reach.

lostforawhile
04-17-2010, 12:41 PM
here's the main stereo controls, the mirror switch on the center console. http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd158/lostforawhile/S4021308.jpg

lostforawhile
05-15-2010, 08:16 AM
If you hapen to see an SEI at the yard, I would grab the wheel and the slip ring, I discovered I can't even get a non cruise horn contact ring, it's discontinued, the cruise slip ring is discontinued and of course the SEI slip ring is discontinued. better get them while you are able