PDA

View Full Version : Found the damn leak

Coitis1
10-07-2002, 12:28 PM
i've had this exhaust leak for awhile and someone on here told me to look under the car when i start it on a cold morning. well this was one of the first cold mornings we've had in a long time, so when i started it up to go to school this morning i looked under there and saw exhaust bellowing out of the front of my muffler, which is kinda a relief b/c i thought it was further up. i'm hoping thats the only leak. but anyways my question is if it's just a whole in my muffler, why does it smell so bad? i didn't think it would smell very much, if any, since it is pretty much at the end of my exhaust. and on a side note, my car idles low to where it shakes a little, so a lot of the time when i'm at a long light i'll pop it(it's an auto) into neutral. does this mess up my transmission? thanks

DBMaster
10-07-2002, 12:34 PM
Does it smell like rotten eggs?

HostileJava
10-07-2002, 05:35 PM
If it shaking when idling at a light and it shifts kinda hard you may have a broken engine mount.

Coitis1
10-07-2002, 05:53 PM
it shifts fine. its just that it kinda vibrates so i put it in neutral sometimes. it does smell like rotten eggs sometimes.

smufguy
10-07-2002, 06:05 PM
when did u change ur tranny fluid? check ur engine mounts for cracks. check ur flex pipe right after the downpipe ends and ur cat begins. if it smells strong as in acidic/pungent. ur probaby running rich and ur cat is being ruined. its a good time to upgrade ur whole system to a 2.25" piping. stuff

87AccordsterLx
10-07-2002, 06:29 PM
damn ... my engine shakes at a low idle and shifts hard... think its the mounts???

DBMaster
10-07-2002, 07:16 PM
Yeah, it could be the cat, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. It could just be some high sulfur gas. Unfortunately, the only way I know for usre to tell if the cat is bad is to have it emission tested.

HostileJava
10-07-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by 87AccordsterLx
damn ... my engine shakes at a low idle and shifts hard... think its the mounts???

Put the hood up and have someone stand next to it when you put the car in gear, if the engine seems like it's trying to jump out or you hear a metal clicking noise it's probably an engine mount.

A20A1
10-07-2002, 08:58 PM
I hope your muffler ain't rusting off.

Coitis1
10-08-2002, 08:02 PM
how much would a new STOCK muffler cost anyways. believe it or not, when i got the car i loved the fact that it was almost silent. now its hard to hear over it.

RedneckRicer
10-09-2002, 04:54 PM
i had the same problem with my car, shaking at an idle in gear.... every auto tranny i had in it did it.... and every tranny blew... was still doing it when it'd limp along on the last one... put a 5 speed in and it doesn't shake at all at an idle.... hopefully its not your tranny... cuz the torque converter when its funked up can make the car shake pretty bad

socal3rdgen
10-09-2002, 05:08 PM
sounds like a variety of problems

Toby
10-09-2002, 09:40 PM
just get your car tuned