PDA

View Full Version : headlight issue

newaccorddriver
03-16-2010, 10:01 PM
this headlight issue seems to be something i cant really wrap my head around. whats happening is that they seem to work whenever they want to, and sometimes dont work at all. i originally thought i had a motor issue, but it turns out that isnt the problem.

what happened was whenever i use the retractor switch, the headlights went up or down no problem. both headlights went up or down in sync with each other. when i use the headlight switch, whether the retractor switch makes is in the up or down position, the drivers side headlight constantly goes up and down and seems to go about it in half speed. i originally thought it was a defective motor, so what i did was i took it out and tried it on the passenger side, and it works perfectly. ive tried numerous retractor modules and they all perform the same. not sure what is going on.

sometimes, when i unplug certain parts of the headlight motor system to test out components, nothing works at all. headlights dont light up, dont go up or down, nothing. weird thing is that i tested the combination switch, and according to the table read outs, everything on the switch is doing what its supposed to, when its supposed to.

anyone have any idea whats going on? im almost out of ideas and ready to bring home another EFI harness with fuse boxes and modules to make sure thats not the case again

charliekuney
03-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Fuse; relay. Checked?

newaccorddriver
03-17-2010, 06:17 PM
both checked, both good. swapped in for more good ones just incase

Dr_Snooz
03-17-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm going with grounds on this one. Have you checked your ground wires? I don't know where they are, but if they are loose a lot fun stuff can happen. Another thing I would do is to pull the headlight mechanism apart and lube everything up real good. Also check the condition of all the wires leading to the headlights. If there is a lot of corrosion or whatever, that can make things interesting too.

newaccorddriver
03-17-2010, 11:05 PM
id imagine all the grounds would be good cause they are all bolted in as far as i know. the connections should be good too cause i took some sandpaper to the ground wires that attach to the chassis.

ill be looking into the wires leading up to the motors as well this weekend when i have time. ill probably also be getting another harness for the car just incase there is a break in the wire behind all the black casing that i cant see. i can easily make things work by hard wiring everything cause i got the wiring diagram, but itll probably take me longer to make a circuit with a possible failure then it would be to replace the whole harness. and the copper alone in the harness is worth atleast the $2.99 that im paying for it and i get a bunch of modules hooked up to it as well.