PDA

View Full Version : 2-speed hondamatic driving

bluesky6
03-17-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm trying to figure out whether it's my use of the Hondamatic or a carb problem here.

When I slow down in my '77 accord to take a curve, I find that the car has no power after taking the curve.

So I'm wondering if I should be shifting the 2-speed hondamatic to first gear (like a manual transmission car) or there is a problem with the carb (power circuit etc).

What do you think?

Thanks!

2ndGenGuy
03-17-2010, 02:19 PM
I was under the impression that you still had to shift the Hondamatic between 1 and 2? Have you tried shifting to 1st gear? What happens? Could be your float is low and the fuel is sloshing over to one side... does the car sputter and miss, or is it just lacking in power?

lostforawhile
03-17-2010, 02:49 PM
I was under the impression that you still had to shift the Hondamatic between 1 and 2? Have you tried shifting to 1st gear? What happens? Could be your float is low and the fuel is sloshing over to one side... does the car sputter and miss, or is it just lacking in power?

I think you have to shift it

bluesky6
03-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks, guys. I'll try it this weekend.

Dr_Snooz
03-17-2010, 04:34 PM
I would say that you should swap that out for a manual, but there's probably some novelty value to a 2-speed auto by now. I'm so glad my '76 had a 5-speed though.

lostforawhile
03-17-2010, 04:51 PM
I would say that you should swap that out for a manual, but there's probably some novelty value to a 2-speed auto by now. I'm so glad my '76 had a 5-speed though.

naa the hondomatic sucked pure and simple, it was a bomb

Ichiban
03-17-2010, 05:03 PM
I'm sure you had to shift those.

1GCustomAccord
03-17-2010, 07:24 PM
I dunno.. Maybe you have low fuel level in the carb, thats why you loose power in curves at high speeds. I dunno much about the 2 AT, since i only drive the 3 speed AT. It has "L" a STAR and OD , when you want to go, the "star" is good and makes 2 speeds, then if you are cruising, you can shift to "OD" ( Above 45 KPH) .
"L" is just for towing and etc.

AccordB20A
03-17-2010, 09:59 PM
^^^^it says in the manual to allways use L when tasking of from a standstill i heard
my crx is hondamatic 3 speed i drive it like a manual pretty much, L, Star and then into OD

1GCustomAccord
03-18-2010, 06:17 AM
^^^^it says in the manual to allways use L when tasking of from a standstill i heard
my crx is hondamatic 3 speed i drive it like a manual pretty much, L, Star and then into OD

Oh yes, thanks for pointing that. I forgot about that since i sold my AT long ago. "L" is the position to start and then "star" and OD above 45 kph.

bluesky6
03-20-2010, 09:46 AM
I tried the car again this morning: this time shifting down to first when slowing down to take a corner.

It looks like it's something wrong with the carb. There is just no power after the corner.

Thanks for the responses.

lostforawhile
03-20-2010, 10:02 AM
here's a link to probably the best rebuilder of these, and probably the cheapest. those carbs are not easy to fix, it's probably worn out

http://www.importcarbs.com/