PDA

View Full Version : low compression?

russ_512
03-17-2010, 08:39 PM
some of yall may remember me
first of all i wanna say this is the best forum ever :) and i really miss my 3gee :violin:
i want one as dd

anyway i came hear to ask a ? about my ls motor i got my my ef
i joined an ef forum but i posted 3 things and noone wants to help me cause this is my first swap

i have an ls and its not in the car yet, i have it ready to drop in, i put the tranny on gave it ARP head studds and a head gasket, and put on all the other things it needs to run. i turn the crank pulley bolt over to turn the motor and it turns really easy, i was wonderin if this means take the motor back where i got it and get another or is there hope, any ideas

a friend said put some marvel mystery oil in the spark plug holes and let it sit for about two days and then turn the motor so it gets down in it then do it again and maybe it will help seal up the seals.

russ_512
03-18-2010, 07:38 AM

russ_512
03-18-2010, 03:11 PM
?

Oldblueaccord
03-18-2010, 03:45 PM
Need to do a compression test of the motor. Using a compression tester and spining the motor over by hand will tell you some how the well the motor is.

I would make sure the timing belt is on correctly also.

wp

russ_512
03-18-2010, 06:11 PM
do you have to take it to a machine shop to compression test it?

Dr_Snooz
03-18-2010, 06:19 PM
You do have the spark plugs in, right?

lostforawhile
03-18-2010, 06:25 PM
you must have had the head off, is the valve timing right? if it's not you may have valves open on compression.

lostforawhile
03-18-2010, 06:36 PM
are you sure you didn't install the head with the crank pulley 180 degrees out?

Civic Accord Honda
03-18-2010, 08:49 PM
no you can compression test it in your driveway, u can rent the tool from autozozne $25 deposit.(you will have to contect a battery to the starter to turn it over)
also check out
4th-gen-civic.com my favorite ED site,

another good forum is d-series but i would recommend swapping back to a D engine if u go there ( i recommend it for many other reasons to that i wont speak of in here :) )

lostforawhile
03-18-2010, 09:12 PM
no you can compression test it in your driveway, u can rent the tool from autozozne $25 deposit.(you will have to contect a battery to the starter to turn it over)
also check out
4th-gen-civic.com my favorite ED site,

another good forum is d-series but i would recommend swapping back to a D engine if u go there ( i recommend it for many other reasons to that i wont speak of in here :) )
if he had the head off, he needs to double check valve timing first, if it's wrong the compression gauge will show no compression anyway. if the valve timing is even a little late, all the compression will escape because the valve closes late.

stephensimmons
03-18-2010, 11:45 PM
do you have to take it to a machine shop to compression test it?

What part of south carolina are you from?

2oodoor
03-19-2010, 03:49 AM
he was in east columbia a few months ago..
integra motor, on ground waiting to go in civic.. replaced head gasket, installed studs in the block, and popped tranny in it and then and then.... here we are the engine turns over very easy? I am at a loss as well, I dont think the warrenty is any good now.

stephensimmons
03-19-2010, 05:25 AM
he was in east columbia a few months ago..
integra motor, on ground waiting to go in civic.. replaced head gasket, installed studs in the block, and popped tranny in it and then and then.... here we are the engine turns over very easy? I am at a loss as well, I dont think the warrenty is any good now.

Well depends on where he is i mite had took a look at it for him. How are you at a loss if you dont mind me asking?

2oodoor
03-19-2010, 07:07 AM
Well depends on where he is i mite had took a look at it for him. How are you at a loss if you dont mind me asking?

what the OP is asking makes no sense to me?
If he had the head off and installed studs don't you think he would have a clue they would not honor the motor warrenty?
If it needs a bottom end rebuild that is one thing, true a reason for low comp.. but if the head were not prepped correctly and valve timing off that is another thing.
correct me if I am wrong but isn't an ls a dohc v-tec? would need electronics changed unless it was a D16 civic then would need modifications even there. Long way to go yet...
Why would marvel oil do any good if it his cause for concern is it turns too freely? Sure it would free up a stuck ring maybe or clean up some rust there, but I think he needs a lot more reference here than his question answer.
catching breath.. lol

stephensimmons
03-19-2010, 07:38 AM
what the OP is asking makes no sense to me?
If he had the head off and installed studs don't you think he would have a clue they would not honor the motor warrenty?
If it needs a bottom end rebuild that is one thing, true a reason for low comp.. but if the head were not prepped correctly and valve timing off that is another thing.
correct me if I am wrong but isn't an ls a dohc v-tec? would need electronics changed unless it was a D16 civic then would need modifications even there. Long way to go yet...
Why would marvel oil do any good if it his cause for concern is it turns too freely? Sure it would free up a stuck ring maybe or clean up some rust there, but I think he needs a lot more reference here than his question answer.
catching breath.. lol

lol! Thats why i asked where he was

russ_512
03-19-2010, 08:40 PM
i think it might be the valves, my buddy that does alot of h swaps is gonna adjust the valves for me

im in west columbia bout 5 mins from the airport

and stephon if i dont get it fixed here soon ill see if you can look at it

and i will deff check out that site