PDA

View Full Version : I am on low budget , how are the Gabriel/KYB/Monroe struts ?

ADRIANFARINA
03-18-2010, 01:59 PM
how are those three?
I'm talking about 25$-50$ a pair..
I don't race my car but my struts are long gone..

whats your opinion ?:nervous:

Joay
03-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Is your car lowered? If not they work just fine for replacing worn out OE struts.

Most people will tell you that lower/stiffer springs will blow them up, which I agree with academically, but practically I know people dropped 1.5-2.5 inches that use OE struts without problems.

ADRIANFARINA
03-18-2010, 03:12 PM
It'll be lowered ASAP..
and why are the Monroe gas shock better/worse?

Joay
03-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Than what?
They're better than stock struts because they're not 20+ years old, and they're worse than Bilsteins and Konis because they're not uprated for stiffer/lower springs. They're designed to be a direct replacement for the stock equipment, so they aren't technically strong enough for lowering springs.

Why you need stronger struts and what's available. (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48187)

lostforawhile
03-18-2010, 03:28 PM
good question about this, what about with progressively wound lowering springs? the ones that get stiffer the more they are compressed

ADRIANFARINA
03-18-2010, 05:00 PM
btw,
what do I do if the rear wheels touch the wheel arch when I'm driving over speed bumps etc..?
can I treem the arches?

ghettogeddy
03-18-2010, 05:17 PM
btw,
what do I do if the rear wheels touch the wheel arch when I'm driving over speed bumps etc..?
can I treem the arches?

slow down over them

also i suggest tokico hp blues
http://www.hitachi-hap-la.com/tokicogasshocks/app/Honda.html

Joay
03-18-2010, 05:57 PM
You can also roll them inward so they don't have a sharp edge rubbing on the tire.

mushroom_toy
03-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Im running the highest Monroes in the front and they dampen quite well actually. You can go quite low reliably too you just have to do some research. In the rear a stock strut will handle a 350lb springrate and wont blow, I know I have them on the car, so far using stock ef civic struts in the rear with over 50k miles on them before i got them and after my 30k and 2 + years, theyre still fine. In front use the tophat mod, so you have full shock travel, and ride out with a stockish strut. Im running tophats with monroes in front with a 450lb spring and its fine.

ADRIANFARINA
03-18-2010, 10:29 PM
also i suggest tokico hp blues
http://www.hitachi-hap-la.com/tokicogasshocks/app/Honda.html

how much they will cost me?

MessyHonda
03-18-2010, 11:37 PM
around 200 bucks

ADRIANFARINA
03-19-2010, 02:54 AM
to much .. :inout:

ecogabriel
03-19-2010, 04:32 AM
I needed something inexpensive to replace the totally dead OE struts (after 120K+ miles what should I expect). The car had NO handling, NOTHING.
Got the lowest MONROES very, very cheap so I installed those. They work OK for a daily driver with no mods whatsoever. Now I can drive the car.
I would have liked to get something a little better; I have a set installed on my wife's car and one is leaking after 30K...

Bottom line: if your shocks are dead (which probably are) anything you throw at the car will make it handle better.