PDA

View Full Version : Carburetor swaps

bluesky6
03-20-2010, 09:53 AM
So it looks like my '77 Accord needs a carb replacement.

Rebuilding may be interesting except for the fact that the 2 of the 3 solenoids are no longer available and I don't have the time/skill to rebuild, then recalibrate (floats etc). I had, in a previous life, worked with a Holley Street Avenger on a Ford 351W and even with clear level sights, I couldn't set the float level right...

Anyway, it looks like the carb for a '77 is either too expensive or simply unavailable.

I've found a couple for a '79 (with the 1.8L engine).

If I were to use a '79 carb, what would I need to watch out for apart from the electric choke connections?

Thanks!

PS: No weber for me because here in California, the car needs to pass smog in order to get registered and it ain't passing smog the way it runs now...

lostforawhile
03-20-2010, 10:16 AM
So it looks like my '77 Accord needs a carb replacement.

Rebuilding may be interesting except for the fact that the 2 of the 3 solenoids are no longer available and I don't have the time/skill to rebuild, then recalibrate (floats etc). I had, in a previous life, worked with a Holley Street Avenger on a Ford 351W and even with clear level sights, I couldn't set the float level right...

Anyway, it looks like the carb for a '77 is either too expensive or simply unavailable.

I've found a couple for a '79 (with the 1.8L engine).

If I were to use a '79 carb, what would I need to watch out for apart from the electric choke connections?

Thanks!

PS: No weber for me because here in California, the car needs to pass smog in order to get registered and it ain't passing smog the way it runs now...
I left you a post in your other thread http://www.importcarbs.com/ he builds good carbs i've ordered from him in the past, i'm not sure but i think the larger 2g accord cvcc carb will swap on there, may give you a horsepower boost. I know i was able to swap them from my 81 civic cvcc engines, the accord carb was for the 1.8 litre instead of the 1.5 cvcc motor, if the flange matches it will probably work. your carb is available from him completely overhauled for around 189 plus your core

bluesky6
03-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Thanks. I'd look at importcarbs but wasn't sure of the quality. I'll give them a call on Monday.

I was tweaking the carb, spraying some carb cleaner (with car running) and changing some more vac lines. Now the car doesn't start :(

There's spark so I'll grab an extra hand tomorrow and see if the fuel pump still runs.

It may be something to do with spraying carb cleaner. I'll also dig up my can of starter fluid and try that...

lostforawhile
03-20-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks. I'd look at importcarbs but wasn't sure of the quality. I'll give them a call on Monday.

I was tweaking the carb, spraying some carb cleaner (with car running) and changing some more vac lines. Now the car doesn't start :(

There's spark so I'll grab an extra hand tomorrow and see if the fuel pump still runs.

It may be something to do with spraying carb cleaner. I'll also dig up my can of starter fluid and try that...

he's been in business forever if that helps he's survived all these years so that should say a lot

tomatofiasco
03-21-2010, 05:06 PM
so you can stick a '82 to '85 accord 1800 carburettor straight onto the standard 1gee manifold? does this hold for non-cvcc as well? can anyone confirm or corroborate this, or any benefits / drawbacks / prerequisites?

i live in wonderful stone-age tasmania where theres no emissions testing and no inspections on renewal of registration, and when my carb needs rebuilding i could be come very interested in this... :koolaid:

bluesky6
03-21-2010, 06:36 PM
Looks like spraying 8 year old carb cleaner wiped out the fuel in the carb or something.

I was able to get the car started today with some starter fluid (don't leave home without it).

The bogging I had encountered previously was due to the vacuum advance not working. I replaced the second hose to the dizzy and got the car to run much better than last week.

Next up: valve lash adjustments, valve cover gasket, dizzy housing seals, oil pan gasket and maybe a trial smog test.

lostforawhile
03-21-2010, 07:14 PM
so you can stick a '82 to '85 accord 1800 carburettor straight onto the standard 1gee manifold? does this hold for non-cvcc as well? can anyone confirm or corroborate this, or any benefits / drawbacks / prerequisites?

i live in wonderful stone-age tasmania where theres no emissions testing and no inspections on renewal of registration, and when my carb needs rebuilding i could be come very interested in this... :koolaid:i can confirm you can put the 1800 cvcc carb on the 1.5 cvcc engine i've done it.

Ichiban
03-21-2010, 07:46 PM

i live in wonderful stone-age tasmania where theres no emissions testing and no inspections on renewal of registration, and when my carb needs rebuilding i could be come very interested in this... :koolaid:

I know that the 82-83 EL1602 carbs have a different flange pattern than the 84-85 A16 carbs. Tried it, way wrong.