PDA

View Full Version : Temperature sending unit and temp question...

parkersnine
03-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Anyone know the size and thread pattern(NPT?) on the sending unit that goes in the intake? Wanting to put in gauge . What is normal operating temperature of healthy 3gee?

cygnus x-1
03-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Anyone know the size and thread pattern(NPT?) on the sending unit that goes in the intake? Wanting to put in gauge . What is normal operating temperature of healthy 3gee?

All the Honda sensors use British Standard Pipe threads, and I believe they are straight and not tapered. Is this on a carb or FI intake?

C|

parkersnine
03-21-2010, 05:28 AM
This is on a carb.I bought an aftermarket temp gauge because the temp on the "88 fluctuates. The mechanic thought nothing is actually wrong with the car but without a reading who really knows? It will occasionally peak then go back down. They replaced the thermostat( I had put in a new one when I rebuilt it). The sending unit actually was replaced with a new one from Advance before we put it all back in. Am afraid to drive it without really knowing the temperature reading. On the aftermarket temp gauge it comes with a fitting already on it. Then it has a couple of adaptors-all of which appear to big. I guess chances that an American aftermarket gauge has the wrong threads correct? What is the normal running temp?

stephensimmons
03-21-2010, 05:38 AM
what temp thermostat do you have in it? And has it been doing this sence you rebuilt it?

parkersnine
03-21-2010, 05:53 AM
Do not know temp thermstat. We took it to a Honda trained mechanic to troubleshoot the unresolved carb issue. The car had not been driven at all before then. The mechanic thought it was the thermstat and replaced the new one I put in (Stant 180 degree) with what he told my son was a Honda oem thermostat. It has not boiled over or "lingered" in the hot zone. Again..My son was told it was a gauge issue but....We have a bunch of money in the rebuild to guess.

stephensimmons
03-21-2010, 05:58 AM
Do not know temp thermstat. We took it to a Honda trained mechanic to troubleshoot the unresolved carb issue. The car had not been driven at all before then. The mechanic thought it was the thermstat and replaced the new one I put in (Stant 180 degree) with what he told my son was a Honda oem thermostat. It has not boiled over or "lingered" in the hot zone. Again..My son was told it was a gauge issue but....We have a bunch of money in the rebuild to guess.

well the 180 degree is the rite one because the 195 woulda caused that problem.............. what about your radiator? Is it new of has been cleaned?

parkersnine
03-21-2010, 06:02 AM
Well. We took that to a reputable radiator shop while the engine was apart and it was tested and cleaned. It good.

stephensimmons
03-21-2010, 06:07 AM
Well. We took that to a reputable radiator shop while the engine was apart and it was tested and cleaned. It good.

is you cooling fans working? if so you got me for now. install the guage and see what happens.

parkersnine
03-21-2010, 06:19 AM
We tested it and it worked. My son asked the mechanic to make sure it was working. He drove it about 20 miles in about 65-70 degree weather Friday and was fine till he pulled into our street. My guess he was going at least 55-60 The fan never came on for me. I am concerned to let it idle in driveway.

stephensimmons
03-21-2010, 06:23 AM
We tested it and it worked. My son asked the mechanic to make sure it was working. He drove it about 20 miles in about 65-70 degree weather Friday and was fine till he pulled into our street. My guess he was going at least 55-60 The fan never came on for me. I am concerned to let it idle in driveway.

You tested it as in you hooked power to it and it came on or did it come on when the car was running when temp went up?

parkersnine
03-21-2010, 06:52 AM
As in I hooked power to it and it came on . My son spoke with the mechanic so I am going to find out if the fan ever came on for him.

Dr_Snooz
03-21-2010, 07:30 AM
What is the condition of the wire that connects to the sending unit? If you aren't getting a good connection to the sender, you'll get strange gauge behavior. My gauge spontaneously stops working every now and then because the connector is loose and sloppy.

gp02a0083
03-21-2010, 07:47 AM
if its over heating turn o the a/c not the heater , it will turn on the fans

lostforawhile
03-21-2010, 07:55 AM
I sent you a pm on this, find out the threads on the aftermarket gauge and i'll modify a T stat housing for you. as far as the sender, your first mistake, you bought a sender at advance. I looked up the ohms of the factory senderr on my 98 in the factory service manual, and it didn't match the advance auto parts sender they gave me, they keep claiming their sender will work even though it's always out of range, so i have no temp gauge either. DON"T buy a sender from them, they are crap, I can't find one anywhere in town with the right ohms range. Get a dealer one,thats what i'm going to have to do.