PDA

View Full Version : Had a wierd issue with the LX-i today...

tedhodges
03-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Hi Guys,

Today I went out to start my '87 LX-i. it started up, and i went to rev the engine, but it started sputtering like crazy, and then it wouldn't rev up. I let it idle, and the idle went way low (less than 500 RPM). Then it stalled, and the PGM-FI warning light came on. I checked the ECU, it had a code 8 (TDC).

I've noticed that at times it will miss fire pretty badly when it's fully warmed up, but it has been an intermittent issue. I changed the distributer cap and rotor thinking that would fix it, but it didn't. Would that also be a sign of a TDC sensor failing?

Also if it is the sensor, it the TDC on the distributor or behind the cam gear?

stephensimmons
03-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Hi Guys,

Today I went out to start my '87 LX-i. it started up, and i went to rev the engine, but it started sputtering like crazy, and then it wouldn't rev up. I let it idle, and the idle went way low (less than 500 RPM). Then it stalled, and the PGM-FI warning light came on. I checked the ECU, it had a code 8 (TDC).

I've noticed that at times it will miss fire pretty badly when it's fully warmed up, but it has been an intermittent issue. I changed the distributer cap and rotor thinking that would fix it, but it didn't. Would that also be a sign of a TDC sensor failing?

Also if it is the sensor, it the TDC on the distributor or behind the cam gear?

Its inside the distributor. Did you check your shaft play in the distributor?

tedhodges
03-22-2010, 12:54 PM
I replaced it about 3 weeks age, and it didn't seem to have any play at all.

stephensimmons
03-22-2010, 01:03 PM
I replaced it about 3 weeks age, and it didn't seem to have any play at all.

did you change the spark plug wires?

w261w261
03-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Is the tach jumping around at all?

charliekuney
03-22-2010, 02:10 PM
If I'm understanding the problem correctly, it sounds like a vacuum problem.

tedhodges
03-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Spark Plug wires are okay, tach isn't jumping around. I should also point out that the cold idle doesn't work, it likes to idle at 750 RPM when cold and at around 1000 RPM +/- when warm.

stephensimmons
03-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Spark Plug wires are okay, tach isn't jumping around. I should also point out that the cold idle doesn't work, it likes to idle at 750 RPM when cold and at around 1000 RPM +/- when warm.

Check all your connections for the injectors and dizzy to make sure they are all clean and tight.