PDA

View Full Version : Major hesitation

86-lxi
03-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Ok first off it's an 86, lxi FI. was on my way to work and it started hesitating pretty bad and eventually died. Managed to get it to the shop(my work) and thought it was the fuel filter changed that and didn't do a thing.

Plugs are good just regapped them yesterday, wires are fairly new. It idles OK but as soon as I step on the gas it bogs like hell like its starving, I'm thinking dirt in the injectors? Someone give me ideas I got to get this fixed asap.

Thanks

stephensimmons
03-22-2010, 03:01 PM
It wont rev at all?

86-lxi
03-22-2010, 05:51 PM
It wont rev at all?

If I floor it it'll sputter all the way up to 4k or so then redlines fine, but idling once I put it in gear it dies, or if I don't pump the gas as I'm revving it it'll die. Pretty frustrating but i'm thinking it's gotta be either the injectors or maybe the plugs aren't good(cheap to find out)

stephensimmons
03-22-2010, 05:55 PM
If I floor it it'll sputter all the way up to 4k or so then redlines fine, but idling once I put it in gear it dies, or if I don't pump the gas as I'm revving it it'll die. Pretty frustrating but i'm thinking it's gotta be either the injectors or maybe the plugs aren't good(cheap to find out)

What bout your spark plug wires?

86-lxi
03-22-2010, 06:00 PM
What bout your spark plug wires?

They're not that old I don't see how they could be bad

stephensimmons
03-22-2010, 06:07 PM
They're not that old I don't see how they could be bad

where did you buy them?

86-lxi
03-22-2010, 07:33 PM
where did you buy them?

autozone

stephensimmons
03-22-2010, 07:49 PM
autozone

Sounds to me like you have a miss fire. You do have an automatic rite? If so lock your parkingbrake real good and have someone while holding the foot brake real good with their left foot then take their right foot and GENTLY press the gas pedel till the car starts to sputter and hold it at that position while you look under the hood while standing to the sides if at all possible because i would hate for you to get ran over if they messed up or you could jack up the front wheels and look at your spark plug wires spark pluga distributor and coil to see if you can see or hear anything arcing. Its best to do this in a preferably dark place so you can see the arcing if it is.

86-lxi
03-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Sounds to me like you have a miss fire. You do have an automatic rite? If so lock your parkingbrake real good and have someone while holding the foot brake real good with their left foot then take their right foot and GENTLY press the gas pedel till the car starts to sputter and hold it at that position while you look under the hood while standing to the sides if at all possible because i would hate for you to get ran over if they messed up or you could jack up the front wheels and look at your spark plug wires spark pluga distributor and coil to see if you can see or hear anything arcing. Its best to do this in a preferably dark place so you can see the arcing if it is.

Well I bought new plugs and wires today, got a good spark. I took the fuel rail off and turned it over and one injector wasn't flowing as good as the others, but I put everything back together and it never even started. IDK what the hell it is:banghead:

stephensimmons
03-23-2010, 09:20 AM
Well I bought new plugs and wires today, got a good spark. I took the fuel rail off and turned it over and one injector wasn't flowing as good as the others, but I put everything back together and it never even started. IDK what the hell it is:banghead:

Will it start with some carb cleaner?

86-lxi
03-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Will it start with some carb cleaner?

Nope tried starter fluid....nothin

stephensimmons
03-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Nope tried starter fluid....nothin

What all did you do before it stop starting?

86-lxi
03-23-2010, 02:33 PM
What all did you do before it stop starting?

Changed the plugs and wires, took the fuel rail off to see if the injectors were spittin gas. Now that I think about it I know I have the firing order wrong.

I googled it and it shows the cylinders numbered 4321 when looking under the hood, it's backwards right now the way I have it. I'll check tomorrow morning(car still at work). My dad said he saw some dirt come out of the injectors when I cranked it so hopefully that was the problem, I don't want to have to buy new ones!

What a PITA but i'd rather it happen with this car than a new one that you can't work on.

stephensimmons
03-23-2010, 02:46 PM
Changed the plugs and wires, took the fuel rail off to see if the injectors were spittin gas. Now that I think about it I know I have the firing order wrong.

I googled it and it shows the cylinders numbered 4321 when looking under the hood, it's backwards right now the way I have it. I'll check tomorrow morning(car still at work). My dad said he saw some dirt come out of the injectors when I cranked it so hopefully that was the problem, I don't want to have to buy new ones!

What a PITA but i'd rather it happen with this car than a new one that you can't work on.

Remember that #1 always start at the end that the cam gear is on. Post back when you correct it

2oodoor
03-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Remember that #1 always start at the end that the cam gear is on. Post back when you correct it

good advice :D even experienced we can get mixed up under the hood of different models, and with the dist on the passenger side it is easy to get turned around where number one is sometimes if were thinking about other things too.

I would also change the fuel filter and check the sock filter in the tank, access that under the back seat. Dirt in fuel rail, zomg fur sure...

86-lxi
03-23-2010, 04:27 PM
good advice :D even experienced we can get mixed up under the hood of different models, and with the dist on the passenger side it is easy to get turned around where number one is sometimes if were thinking about other things too.

I would also change the fuel filter and check the sock filter in the tank, access that under the back seat. Dirt in fuel rail, zomg fur sure...

I changed the fuel filter, one thing I know I need to change asap is the filler neck going to the gas tank because it is rusted to hell i'm sure that's what caused all this in the first place.

w261w261
03-23-2010, 06:10 PM
I changed the fuel filter, one thing I know I need to change asap is the filler neck going to the gas tank because it is rusted to hell i'm sure that's what caused all this in the first place.

Hit the Honda dealer. There's a recall out on those I believe.

86-lxi
03-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Well I fixed the wires, took a while to finally start but it's still hesitating pretty bad. It was able to stay running this time when I put it in gear so I just drove it down the street to the local garage for them to look at. I don't have the patience or the time to f with it, hopefully it's something small.

I'll update when I find out what it is.

86-lxi
03-31-2010, 04:17 PM
Well my car is fixed finally, turns out the distributor rotor was worn and loose so it wasn't always firing when it should. Figured it had to be electrical, I wonder if that has anything to do with my declining mpg...I got 26 average when I got it and was averaging 21 before this happened?

2oodoor
03-31-2010, 04:39 PM
yes, makes sense.. secondary voltage resistance would emmulate a weak coil symptom... hesitation, low power, hard starts. etc..
It is crazy because it seems like every time I try to buy an import dist cap I have a hard time getting the matching rotor button on the same trip at the same store. These really need to be matched sets, same brand etc...
I have seen no start at all with these and using brand new parts, just unmatched sets.
glad to see you got it licked and crusing again.. :thumbup:

86-lxi
04-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Not cruising yet i'm picking it up later today, should run like a new car now:thumbup:. Ordered my fuel filler neck which should come tomorrow so hopefully that won't be hard to do....

2oodoor
04-01-2010, 03:49 PM
you were able to order a fuel filler neck? huh?

btw it is just going to get surface rust on it too.. ethanol in the gas is everywhere

86-lxi
04-04-2010, 06:13 AM
you were able to order a fuel filler neck? huh?

btw it is just going to get surface rust on it too.. ethanol in the gas is everywhere

Well as long as it keeps the rust out of my gas tank i'll be happy, the one in there now is shot, the threads for my gas cap are rusted off.

ecogabriel
04-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Not cruising yet i'm picking it up later today, should run like a new car now:thumbup:. Ordered my fuel filler neck which should come tomorrow so hopefully that won't be hard to do....

Where did you get the fuel filler neck? and how expensive it is?

86-lxi
04-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Partsgeek.com it was about $80 shipped

86-lxi
04-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Well I put my new filler neck in yesterday...what a PITA. The whole body was rotted out around the neck so when I opened the gas door all I had was a huge hole lol, so I made my own with some sheet metal and welded it in there. I also used some fast steel around the edges to make a decent seal, I'll take pics after I sand it out.

86-lxi
04-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Well here is my rig job, not too bad for a first attempt:thumbup:
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/8554/p4080646.jpg