PDA

View Full Version : Gear Hunting '88 LX-i

88cool
03-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Yo,

My '88 hunts between 3rd and 4th between 45 and 50 mph. It is really annoying! Has anybody ever run into this problem before? My wife says it's the reason Hondas are always going 5mph below the speed limit or ten miles over.

stephensimmons
03-22-2010, 05:52 PM
Yo,

My '88 hunts between 3rd and 4th between 45 and 50 mph. It is really annoying! Has anybody ever run into this problem before? My wife says it's the reason Hondas are always going 5mph below the speed limit or ten miles over.

Change your tranny fluid, adjust your tv cable and if that dont fix it check the senoloids for your torque converter lock up.

Dr_Snooz
03-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Change your tranny fluid, adjust your tv cable and if that dont fix it check the senoloids for your torque converter lock up.

Hee hee! There ain't no solenoids.

stephensimmons
03-22-2010, 08:36 PM
Hee hee! There ain't no solenoids.

what locks the torque conveter up then?

ecogabriel
03-23-2010, 04:22 AM
what locks the torque conveter up then?

Some valve inside the transmission. No solenoids, no electronics control for our transmissions; it's all hydraulics.

Talking about the hunting, how big is the jump/fall in engine rpm? A torque converter that locks/unlocks may cause a jump/drop.

stephensimmons
03-23-2010, 04:32 AM
Some valve inside the transmission. No solenoids, no electronics control for our transmissions; it's all hydraulics.

Talking about the hunting, how big is the jump/fall in engine rpm? A torque converter that locks/unlocks may cause a jump/drop.

Well if that the case i stand corrected. He said its jumping between 3rd and 4th so i would say to change the transmission fluid and filter and also adjust the kick down or tv cable which ever one you wana call it.

2oodoor
03-23-2010, 06:40 AM
that is going to be the tv cable needing adjustment or just hanging up.. it has to move when ever the throttle moves and it's position releative to the throttle opening determines shift points and tq lockup.
think of it as a manual ("unplugged guitar") TPS not electronic at all...or dont if that confuses even more lol

mostly on old school domestic vehicles would it be a kickdown, they started using that as throttle valve control around the end of the 80's in most cars.. running this out of adjustment or disconnected even will destroy a trannsmisssion , some sooner than others.

88cool
03-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Gents,

Thanks for the quick help. I have never had to mess with auto trannys before. Either they have worked fine for me (except that damn 700R4) or I've had manual transmissions... I will consult my Chilton for proper TV adjustment and follow up here with my results.

Thanks Again

stephensimmons
03-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Gents,

Thanks for the quick help. I have never had to mess with auto trannys before. Either they have worked fine for me (except that damn 700R4) or I've had manual transmissions... I will consult my Chilton for proper TV adjustment and follow up here with my results.

Thanks Again

The 700R4 never worked good for it self!!!!! But you gota admit that it had a hell of a 1st gear!

88cool
03-24-2010, 04:47 PM
The 700R4 never worked good for it self!!!!! But you gota admit that it had a hell of a 1st gear!

Yeah, I have to admit I severly abused it for 100k before it completly tanked.

I adjusted the TV cable on my '88 about 3/64" with good results. I did not have time for an extended road test though. I'll put it to the test in the a.m. I did get an immediate improvement while pulling out from a stop. Initially the car had a slight hesitation, really slight. I just chalked it up to a 22 year old car with a little 4 banger complaining about pulling out. Now pulling away from a stop is like a new car (very, very smooth). If the gear hunting continues I'll try another 32nd of adjustment or so.
Just for anybody who needs the info: Use a pair of small vise grips set below the bottom adjustment nut to hold the cable steady while you break loose the top nut. Measure your adjustment with a set of feeler gauges. It will help you make a better guess at what adjustment(s) you need to make.

stephensimmons
03-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I have to admit I severly abused it for 100k before it completly tanked.

I adjusted the TV cable on my '88 about 3/64" with good results. I did not have time for an extended road test though. I'll put it to the test in the a.m. I did get an immediate improvement while pulling out from a stop. Initially the car had a slight hesitation, really slight. I just chalked it up to a 22 year old car with a little 4 banger complaining about pulling out. Now pulling away from a stop is like a new car (very, very smooth). If the gear hunting continues I'll try another 32nd of adjustment or so.

Thats good news! let us know

88cool
03-25-2010, 03:09 PM
I will. I sure hope I never have to get serious in that area of the engine bay, no room what so ever. If I ever have to get nasty in there I think I'll remove the entire air funnel and battery tray.

Dr_Snooz
03-25-2010, 06:35 PM
I will. I sure hope I never have to get serious in that area of the engine bay, no room what so ever. If I ever have to get nasty in there I think I'll remove the entire air funnel and battery tray.

Yes, that's the way to do it. You might try from underneath though.

88cool
03-26-2010, 01:33 PM
The problem is totally fixed. Cost, $0. Blood, zero. Agravation, almost zero. The only tools needed were a 12mm stuby open end wrench, a small pair of vise grips and a a squirt of WD-Fabulous. I figure that the feeler gauges were sorta optional.

Thanks to all who replied:cheers:

stephensimmons
03-26-2010, 01:59 PM

Thats why I relocated my battery in the trunk! And my short ram intake is easy to remove. Good job thou! :D

Dr_Snooz
03-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Right on man. Nice and easy, just like a 3g should be.