PDA

View Full Version : Who sells performance??

King Peetis
03-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Is there a company out there selling a completely rebuilt A20A3 long block with mild performance upgrades i.e. port and polish, cam, bored .020 over kinda stuff. I have a few bucks to play with and Im putting out my feelers.

I saw a list once----a long, long time ago that identified all of the aftermarket companies still making parts for our cars. You wouldn't happen to know where that is...?

89lx-r
03-23-2010, 08:49 PM
there isnt much just to buy, alot of it is custom made. im pretty sure you can buy ignition pretty easily, people on here buy msd blaster 6. I dont really know much about it. search around, have fun

ShyBoyCA6
03-23-2010, 08:55 PM
sorry man a series parts are discontinued but maybe some people here have parts for sale for the car that you might be interested

Pico
03-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Pete,
What are you looking to do with the car.
Why not just get yours rebuilt get the valves,cam, and cam gear from bisi or do a engine swap.
Boost that baby

ghettogeddy
03-23-2010, 09:03 PM
sorry man a series parts are discontinued but maybe some people here have parts for sale for the car that you might be interested

that is incorrect

we can still get exhaust, headers, cams you can find adj cam gears.

now as far as company doing it thats unlikely but im sure some one local will bore your block for a few bucks and you can get larger pistons port and polish your head change out your valves for newer ones

pete your no noob to the site there have been plenty of threads in this topic

Vanilla Sky
03-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Any good machine shop can do this sort of stuff. Bisimoto does do a lot of the top end stuff, so you can have him work your top end and have a machine shop overbore and rework your bottom end.

I'm a DIY guy, though. I'll port my own head, do my own disassembly and assembly. I'll farm out the bore and hone, the valve work, the line boring, and the rotating assembly balancing. In the end, I'm my own performance shop, heh.

ShyBoyCA6
03-23-2010, 09:05 PM
i should of made my point more clear haha but thanks for pointing it out geddy

ACE_14
03-23-2010, 09:16 PM
Gude BullFrog(www.gude.com) has head packages for the A20:

P&P Head
Ported TB and IM
Camshaft regrinds
Some packages come with ECU(not sure about ours)

I called the awile back and it was like $1500 for the whole package. They claim it adds 50% more HP. You still have to provide core too though.

King Peetis
03-23-2010, 09:22 PM
:uh:
Pete,
What are you looking to do with the car.
Why not just get yours rebuilt get the valves,cam, and cam gear from bisi or do a engine swap.
Boost that baby

Pico, man-- its your ride thats got me twitchin'. I was checking out your your mod list and I was like "YO, enough with the aestetics, Im ready for some engine upgrades"...You keep me a believer!

that is incorrect

we can still get exhaust, headers, cams you can find adj cam gears.

now as far as company doing it thats unlikely but im sure some one local will bore your block for a few bucks and you can get larger pistons port and polish your head change out your valves for newer ones

pete your no noob to the site there have been plenty of threads in this topic

I knew if anyone would call me out, it would be you :uh: Ok, you caught the bluff, but on the real I get lazy with the search sometimes especially after a 14 hour day at work and 4 hours in the ER with my son. He's doing great now, we're back home and Im watching him sleep next to the wifey. He went into anaphylactic shock on the playground...

Pico
03-23-2010, 09:29 PM
4 hours in the ER with my son. He's doing great now, we're back home and Im watching him sleep next to the wifey. He went into anaphylactic shock on the playground...

Bee Sting Pete?
Glad he's home safe and resting

King Peetis
03-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Any good machine shop can do this sort of stuff. Bisimoto does do a lot of the top end stuff, so you can have him work your top end and have a machine shop overbore and rework your bottom end.

I'm a DIY guy, though. I'll port my own head, do my own disassembly and assembly. I'll farm out the bore and hone, the valve work, the line boring, and the rotating assembly balancing. In the end, I'm my own performance shop, heh.

Thanks for the feedback and for some good advice

Gude BullFrog(www.gude.com) has head packages for the A20:

P&P Head
Ported TB and IM
Camshaft regrinds
Some packages come with ECU(not sure about ours)

I called the awile back and it was like $1500 for the whole package. They claim it adds 50% more HP. You still have to provide core too though.

Thanks--I'll give them a ring and see whats up--

mushroom_toy
03-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Pete check out my engine build thread, well be throwing more pics up soon. Man is it simple to rebuild, I dont have too much left to do and after the clearances are check stuff goes together fast. If I were you I would build your own motor, so you know exactly whats going in/on it.

Sorry to here about your kid man, glad hes doing better.

King Peetis
03-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Bee Sting Pete?
Glad he's home safe and resting

Nah, we cant quite figure it out. Its atleast one of two things or both maybe. He had chick-fil-A, which was a mistake because they deep fry their stuff in peanut oil. Second, this little 4 year old buster was kicking, bitting, spitting and hitting any kid that got in his way. He hit my boy and bit him twice, he could have eaten something my boy was allergic to just before he bit him. I wanted to whoop his little ass. To make matters worse, there wasnt an adult/parent anywhere.

Anyway he started throwing up, broke out in hives, his ears started turning blue and his airway started closing. We blasted him with an EPI pen and shot over to the ER--The rest is history. Thanks for asking...

Harrison_Bergeron
03-23-2010, 10:10 PM
I know I read a thread that listed where to get internal parts, it said what engine we can use rods from, and what engines we can get head studs from, and who to go to for custom pistons, stuff like that, I can't find it right now though.

Found it:
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37169

Nafs Asdf
03-23-2010, 10:19 PM
You should get the B20A off of ebay. :D

King Peetis
03-23-2010, 10:24 PM
I know I read a thread that listed where to get internal parts, it said what engine we can use rods from, and what engines we can get head studs from, and who to go to for custom pistons, stuff like that, I can't find it right now though.

Found it:
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37169

Yea dude, You pulled out the stops--thats the one I was looking for. Thanks

MessyHonda
03-23-2010, 11:19 PM
http://www.paeco.com/

rebuilds engines from stage 1 to stage 4 they cost alot and some one from prelude power bought one and just said it was overpriced for there work...its better to get parts and rebuild your own engine....but if you have big bucks why not get it.

Tdurr
03-25-2010, 03:29 PM
PETE! call me when u get a min. ill answer my phone unless its off. i wanna talk to u about wut u got in the plans here..

mushroom_toy
03-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Pete lets rebuild your engine...its pretty simple actually I was surprised.

Tdurr
03-25-2010, 09:31 PM
yea lets do it!

Rendon LX-i
03-25-2010, 11:42 PM
PETE COME ON you can do it. Shit i did mine an its still getting blown LOL. im shocked how good i buildt my a20. very simplex and easy. Get a hanes book and your good

Accordtheory
03-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Wow, I wrote a whole big post and then the site deleted it, saying I wasn't logged in. Fuuuck!

Accordtheory
03-27-2010, 08:04 PM
QUOTE=peteandjenn;1010151]I wanted to whoop his little ass[/QUOTE]

I would have at least picked him up by his shirt with 1 arm and shook him or something. Are you a "domesticated human", or a "wild human"? haha. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVL7V5Wba14 Aside from the laughable intro, this is a good clip. When I was in high school, a teacher gave me a book called Summerhill. It gets into the idea of real vs artificial authority. That's one of the biggest things that is wrong with our society these days. People rely on "authority" to protect them, invest for them, decide things for them in court, even think for them. All that does is empower the artificial authority at the expense of the citizen's freedom. The analogy to your situation in summerhill was a kid throws a rock, knocking a guy's hat off. Should the guy chase the kid down and smack him, or tell the kid's school principal? One choice creates a society with direct consequences and truth, the other creates a police state. And doing nothing allows the kid to turn into a bully until he finally gets his ass beat later.
Sorry, I just had that topic on my mind, direct consequences, reality, artificial authority, the pussification of america (george carlin) and your comment fit right into it.

Anyway, back on topic here. Vanilla sky, you can't balance a 4cyl..

Next, on to the gude.com bullshit. A 50% gain, by porting and a cam swap? That's something that can only be marketed to people who know nothing about motors. Why would you port the stock intake and throttle body?? You'd just replace them with aftermarket b series parts, like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HP-Aluminum-Intake-Manifold-Honda-Acura-Type-R-B16A_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27aeb2e94fQQitemZ1 70434685263QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcc essories. This is a little more than I paid, but it's one of the intakes that will work. The skunk2 one will also work. It's more expensive and better quality as far as fit/finish, but probably not better performance wise. Use a stock b series throttle body. You'll have to port match the head to the larger intake ports on the b series manifold. To allow the motor to hold together at the higher rpm necessary for hp production, use the eagle ls rods. Unfortunately I believe they use a different wristpin diameter than the stock a20 pistons, but that wouldn't matter if you're replacing the piston anyway. The cam and headwork is a huge part of the overall package, but I have no experience here, I never used larger valves or changed my cam. I just changed my entire powertrain instead. Which brings me to my next point. To properly make use of Any of this shit, you need to be able to tune it. OBD1 is mandatory. Then, once you spent all that money and have done all of that, in a lot of places in america, the car is illegal. Back to that police state concept, if it won't pass the visual inspection, you can't register it, and they'll ticket it if they see it anywhere. I even got ticketed for having an unregistered car on my own private property. They don't care if the governor drives a hummer that gets 8mpg and your honda gets 30, if it's using non approved (paid for) parts, it s a no go. That's the argument for an engine swap. Newer, complete package, more aftermarket support, and legal.

If I could go back in time, aside from buying an entirely different car, (old supra) I would have swapped in an h22. I hate the lack of torque with my gsr clone.

Harrison_Bergeron
03-27-2010, 09:39 PM
I have been wondering about this, has anyone ever actually been failed on a smog check for being OBD1? It seems like it would be a totally stealth swap to the eyes of someone unfamiliar with the stock 3g engine bay.

The same goes for the B16 manifold.

MessyHonda
03-27-2010, 10:28 PM
I have been wondering about this, has anyone ever actually been failed on a smog check for being OBD1? It seems like it would be a totally stealth swap to the eyes of someone unfamiliar with the stock 3g engine bay.

well people doing this mod is because there engines are not stock...i just got a dirty smog...but i hate california for this

Accordtheory
03-27-2010, 10:49 PM

No, you'd fail in about 2 seconds, at least in CA. Where are the vacuum lines going to the distributor? Where is the egr, etc, etc, etc. And it is hard to find a shop that you can pay off, because our little buddies with the guns and badges actively do sting operations. If they pass the car, the cops take them away to jail.

Tdurr
03-27-2010, 10:56 PM
hehe.. i kno a guy who can get the emissions done with out you even being there.

also, in some counties in ga u don't even have to do emissions. just register and get a tag then drive.

Accordtheory
03-27-2010, 11:00 PM
Thankfully for me, there are no vehicle inspections whatsoever where I currently live..probably the one and only good thing about this place..

Harrison_Bergeron
03-27-2010, 11:21 PM
No, you'd fail in about 2 seconds, at least in CA. Where are the vacuum lines going to the distributor? Where is the egr, etc, etc, etc. And it is hard to find a shop that you can pay off, because our little buddies with the guns and badges actively do sting operations. If they pass the car, the cops take them away to jail.

Why would the smog guy check for vacuum lines to the distributor?

I was unaware that EGR was removed for OBD1, but yeah, that would be insta-fail, I thought the list of smog equipment they are specifically supposed to look at was all retained. The black box and vacuum lines would only be obvious to someone who had just looked at a stock 3g. If it weren't for the egr I bet you could make your car look like a stock bare bones beater and get through without a second glance.

I guess I'll be collecting parts for a b-swap instead of an a20 rebuild.

Civic Accord Honda
03-28-2010, 01:02 AM
the reason they would check is because they would look up the stock vacuum line diagrams, and everything is not exactly how honda did it for your car instant fail.
one of the reasons i didnt want to deal with the civic anymore lol

and hey pete, do the engine work your self and use the money you saved for going boost or something!

King Peetis
03-28-2010, 01:36 PM

yea lets do it!

By late spring I will be ready--Let me know what your schedules are looking like and I will make sure to put it on my high priority list.

PM a list of junk to get and I'll jump on it. My idea is to build an engine that purrs like a pussy, and Im not talking kitty cat either:banned:

Tim/Luke--PM your phone numbers, I think I missed placed them; I should have put them in my phone

2oodoor
03-28-2010, 02:44 PM
hehe.. i kno a guy who can get the emissions done with out you even being there.

also, in some counties in ga u don't even have to do emissions. just register and get a tag then drive.

most counties in Ga. actually...
just you guys in the 285 perimeter have emmisions tested.

I do suspect EPA's proposed saturation of the Augusta area and the now completed perimeter I 520 will bring it here soon. sigh

lostforawhile
03-28-2010, 02:48 PM
just you guys in the 285 perimeter have emmisions tested.i believe next year even in that area the 86 models will be exempt. once they hit 25 they are considered antiques in Georgia,i'm looking forward to my plate

mushroom_toy
03-28-2010, 05:04 PM
i believe next year even in that area the 86 models will be exempt. once they hit 25 they are considered antiques in Georgia,i'm looking forward to my plate

Ditto. As soon as I can get my tag. :)

Tdurr
03-28-2010, 05:49 PM
just you guys in the 285 perimeter have emmisions tested.

I do suspect EPA's proposed saturation of the Augusta area and the now completed perimeter I 520 will bring it here soon. sigh

pretty much. but i know smog inspections are based on population not just location. Im in Cobb county atm and you gotta do smog here. :(

and pete, call me anytime u got any questions. u have my number now lol. and if u wanna get the ksports on soon ill make the trip if i can "borrow" the GC's for a while haha.

King Peetis
04-01-2010, 05:39 PM
pretty much. but i know smog inspections are based on population not just location. Im in Cobb county atm and you gotta do smog here. :(

and pete, call me anytime u got any questions. u have my number now lol. and if u wanna get the ksports on soon ill make the trip if i can "borrow" the GC's for a while haha.

Oh man do I have questions! Hold my GC's for a while huh? You can hold them while I hold your turbo hahahaha back atcha :idea:

AccordEpicenter
04-01-2010, 05:47 PM
man im soo happy i dont live in CA. what a fucking nightmare with the smog nazis

Tdurr
04-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Oh man do I have questions! Hold my GC's for a while huh? You can hold them while I hold your turbo hahahaha back atcha :idea:

I can do that. U can hold the t25 if u want. hell sell it if u can hahahah

King Peetis
04-11-2010, 08:47 AM

PETE COME ON you can do it. Shit i did mine an its still getting blown LOL. im shocked how good i buildt my a20. very simplex and easy. Get a hanes book and your good

Ok Fellas, I have taken your advice. I bought a decent long block yesterday for 100.00 bucks and I picked up a brand spankin' new engine stand for a whopping 35.00 bucks on craigslist. I guess in the next few weeks Im gonna get started.

I also found a decent machine shop Luke; the dude is just around the corner from my house.

Thanks for the inspiration. I will post some pics of my "new" junk in a couple of days...

gp02a0083
04-11-2010, 09:43 AM
i believe next year even in that area the 86 models will be exempt. once they hit 25 they are considered antiques in Georgia,i'm looking forward to my plate

yah typically at 25 years you can get QQ "historic" plates, there's two different kinds classic and historic each with different age requirements.

technically we can all get our cars on the road with collectors stickers (replaces the square tag in NJ with a triangle one), thats whay i have on my olds until next year. From what i heard you can buy a car right off the lot and put a collectors status on it

2oodoor
04-11-2010, 01:10 PM
i could have given you one, sounds like you are motivated now that is very good to hear!

LX-incredible
04-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Why would the smog guy check for vacuum lines to the distributor?

I was unaware that EGR was removed for OBD1, but yeah, that would be insta-fail, I thought the list of smog equipment they are specifically supposed to look at was all retained. The black box and vacuum lines would only be obvious to someone who had just looked at a stock 3g. If it weren't for the egr I bet you could make your car look like a stock bare bones beater and get through without a second glance.

I guess I'll be collecting parts for a b-swap instead of an a20 rebuild.

You can keep the egr with an ecu that supports it. Strugglebucket used a chipped auto PR4 for that purpose.

King Peetis
04-11-2010, 03:59 PM
i could have given you one, sounds like you are motivated now that is very good to hear!

Now you tell me!--What I want to know now is “whose got the good shit?”--you know, pistons, rings, seals and bearings maybe; basically the best (top of the line) engine rebuild kit. Hey that reminds me, I think Luke used Top Line for his...Please don’t hesitate to start droppin' the build hints like... "And don’t forget to do _______ before you do ______. Cuz if you do you'll regret it!"

Are y'all feelin me???? Hey CAH, I don’t mean that in the literal sense.

cygnus x-1
04-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Now you tell me!--What I want to know now is “whose got the good shit?”--you know, pistons, rings, seals and bearings maybe; basically the best (top of the line) engine rebuild kit. Hey that reminds me, I think Luke used Top Line for his...Please don’t hesitate to start droppin' the build hints like... "And don’t forget to do _______ before you do ______. Cuz if you do you'll regret it!"

Are y'all feelin me???? Hey CAH, I don’t mean that in the literal sense.

How much money are you planning to spend on this? The answer will determine what parts you should get.

C|

King Peetis
05-19-2010, 04:40 AM
How much money are you planning to spend on this? The answer will determine what parts you should get.

C|

I usually just start a project and let it go the distance. I'm frugal and I will shop around for quality once I know what quality is. Any assistance you can offer will definitely be appreciated.

dacantu
06-07-2010, 07:50 AM
^ hes looking for everything to rebuild/increase power in his original A20.

88lxi-shortram
06-19-2010, 08:05 PM
idk if this will be any help but its worth throwing it out there
http://nopi.com/dsp_parts.php?vsubpcdesc=Engine Compartment | Engine - Rebuild Kit

mushroom_toy
06-21-2010, 11:33 AM
pete If youre only wanting to do a mild engine I would just go with the stuff that I got, its all high quality and looks and feels great. The gasket kit I got was Felpro/Federal, and the pistons, bearing and stuff were topline as well as the oil pump. If you have a Slacks parts store anywhere around, thats what I would go with.

im almost done with mine btw. Go check out my engine build thread..im gonna pe posting some more pics in it soon.