PDA

View Full Version : RUST!!! Need help asap

brickcity
03-25-2010, 12:08 AM
Recently purchased a 87 accord for $500 with a swapped motor and tranny. I realised that it was really rusty around the backend, around the fenders and in the trunk a bit. What I didn't realize was around the back left wheel well by the shock/spring was rusted pretty damn bad and cracked. Is there anyway to salvage this. I got inspection due in 3 days.

I do have access to sheetmetal and a MIG welder.

86-lxi
03-25-2010, 04:27 AM
I don't think welding it will pass inspection, sounds like you're gonna need a new spring

stephensimmons
03-25-2010, 05:12 AM
I don't think welding it will pass inspection, sounds like you're gonna need a new spring

sounds like hes saying inside the wheel well where the sping sits is where is rusted.

ShyBoyCA6
03-25-2010, 06:25 AM
Spray paint it black and throw some dirt in there haha so you can pass inspection jk go to the junk yard and swap it man it would be easier and not that much work

w261w261
03-25-2010, 06:52 AM
Is the rust creating a potential safety issue with the shock or spring mount?
If so, I'd sell the car "as is" and look for another one. I wouldn't put the required "big work" to fix it into a $500 car (probably a $300 car truth be told). If it's only cosmetic OTOH, then maybe you can spray it as suggested and hope the best on inspection.

One of the traps to try to avoid is putting a lot of time and effort into a car that has an original fatal flaw. "Painting the deck chairs on the Titanic" and all.

brickcity
03-30-2010, 01:26 AM
well i took it to a mechanic I know and he said that its structally sound at the moment and to just keep driving it until i get caught with no inspeciton. kinda sucks cause its my first older accord and i really like the car 5-speed and all