PDA

View Full Version : Winter Subs?

pimp86LX
10-07-2002, 05:02 PM
Well its sposda hit -3C tonight and being my first winter with subs i am concerned about them in the cold. Im assuming pumping cold subs is baaaaad but is there anything in particular i should look out for? should i take them out for winter?

i just don't know!!

89AccordNate
10-07-2002, 06:16 PM
Hmm, I dont think they make a "winter safe sub". I think it would do ok in the winter. Subs may have nerves though, so atleast wrap them in a blanket and give them a nightlight. Maybe a small heater.

Nat.

pimp86LX
10-07-2002, 06:23 PM
hmm...well i have a quick connect box, i could just take em in at night, but thats a hassle when i live 10min from school......anyone else ever have a problem with subs and cold?

shepherd79
10-07-2002, 07:16 PM
i had my sub through the winter. and it was fine, but i live way south from you.
anyway, i think you supposed to let them warm out at low volume first for about 10-15 minutes. and i would say slowly bring them up to the normal volume.
yeah winter is not good for the subs, but it is nice for the amps.
we had a cold night over here for about a week. and man, i tell you that when amp is cold it is pumping a lot more bass.

pimp86LX
10-07-2002, 07:28 PM
lol, right on, in the winter it can get as cold as -30c but not often, i am just worried more about the insulation around the cone. i'm not to sure what material my subs use, so i'm hopping its like rubber or somthing more durable than foamy style shit
ah well, old man winter will tell in time

87AccordsterLx
10-07-2002, 09:25 PM
lol.. ya just dont crank them on loud right away... that could do some damage... shephard has the right idea buy letting them warm up a little first...

88' Accord Ltd
10-08-2002, 01:52 PM
Yah i know what you mean with the cold winters! I live in Canada too. I'm going to be taking my subs out for the winter time. If they pound too hard you may crack them. Im not taking any chances with mine. If you let them warm up first thats one thing but how are you going to warm the trunk? I duno a way accept having some kinda heater in there. Or maybe the amp could do the job but then you'd have to get that hot first and that means pounding the subs. I just see it being a problem having them in during winter. Even all my friends are taking their subs out too. One thing you can do is buy some cheap ass subs for the winter time if you really miss the bass.

dXsquared
10-08-2002, 02:51 PM
hey pimp...
i live north of urself and i dont have any probs... -30 for me too. i have a hatch tho so maybe you could get a small 12v heater at Canadian Tire. 20 bux or so... mount it so it blows at ur subs.
Travis

pimp86LX
10-08-2002, 02:55 PM
Hey North Bay!! i party there sometimes

right on

pimp86LX
10-08-2002, 02:58 PM
i was thinkin about a fold down rear seat modification.....that way i can heat up the trunk and the subs...well and for the added easy trunk access....what do u think?

dXsquared
10-08-2002, 04:28 PM
that would be cool. but a heater would be easier. w/e floats ur boat. and who do u party with in the Bay? and how old r u?
Do u come here often? is ur car sweet?
Travis

pimp86LX
10-08-2002, 04:49 PM
Gather round and i shall tell ye a tale....

lol well i used to party with my cuz up there, and i'm 19. I goto school with a guy named Eric Roy, hes from North Bay. He used to motocross...anyway..my car sucks balls, i got it in May of this year for free, and it is rusted to shit. I can't stop the leaking so everytime it rains shit gets smelly, also the freggin thing won't pass etest so i'm not even driving it.

yeah thats it

dXsquared
10-08-2002, 04:58 PM
damn
does it smell that bad? my car leaks from the front fenderwells and thats all. i need to get a new carpet cuz mine smell like feet only when its hot.
Travis

kool about the North Bay thang... u should come around sometime and check everythang out. lots of slow ricers and a few show cars. (white civic and blue cavilier)

Neuspeed87lx
10-08-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by 89AccordNate
Hmm, I dont think they make a "winter safe sub". I think it would do ok in the winter. Subs may have nerves though, so atleast wrap them in a blanket and give them a nightlight. Maybe a small heater.

Nat.

hahahaha ..i have never had a problem with my subs threw the winter

pimp86LX
10-08-2002, 05:28 PM
well i thought my trunk was sealed, until we got a nice rain, then my box got soggy :-(

POS carb
10-08-2002, 07:02 PM
damn you guys should enjoy the benifits of colder voicecoils (more power handling!!!!)

JSid7
10-29-2002, 09:25 PM
i always just let my shit warm up and didnt pound them hard at all for a lil while

86accord4dr
10-30-2002, 08:30 PM
well to put my 2 cents in... i've never heard such a stupid conversation (no offence)

you guys are talking about having sub-heaters? c'mon. if it was that big of a deal canadians wouldn't have systems. i mean i'm sure it's not good for them to be cold and pounding cuz the materials are more brittle but c'mon.... just start your car 5 mins before you get in like you probably do already, have your heater on and then by the time your pounding your way to first period you'll be all good to go.

sorry for being a prick but i'm in a bad mood for no apparant reason... i'll make it up to you guys later...

pimp86LX
10-30-2002, 08:54 PM
lol that wasn't the converstation at all...it was more about the dangers of subs and cold. Wich is not that big a deal if they warm up.

BAd mood are not comments like that arn't appreciated
:angry::D

Peace:pimp: