PDA

View Full Version : Starting projects this week

nfs480
03-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Well, it's my spring break, and later this week (once parts arrive) i'm going to replace my left-front CV axle and axle seal. My oil filter base gasket also leaks and I was wondering if I should just take care of it while I have the axle out? Is it easier with the axle out? Also, i'm really worried about breaking off those little bolts that hold the oil filter base to the block, any tips to avoid breaking them? Thanks.

Keachman1
03-28-2010, 06:09 AM
It will help a little with the left axle out but I have replaced many with the axle in place. The trick is to unplug the oil pressure sensor on top of the oil filter base and remove the oil pressure sensor. This gives you better access to the top bolt with a socket. The oil sensor plug rubber cover will usually break but it will not hurt anything. There are 3 bolts all together. I've never had these bolts break as they are usually covered in oil.

The bolts that break 50% of the time are the thermostat housing bolts. The hard part after you get the filter base off is scraping the hardened O-ring gasket off the engine block. Make sure you get it all off and none falls into the oil ports. I use a razor blade scraper and try to get one side started and peel it up. Some come off easy and some are like concrete that comes off in small pieces.

After you get it cleaned off, replace the O-ring gasket, use a little grease to hold it to the filter base, and torque the bolts to 9 Ft-lbs. Use a little teflon tape or sealant on the oil sensor threads when replacing it also.

The honda repair manual links on this site also have good illustrations in the engine section.

nfs480
03-28-2010, 06:53 AM
Thanks, I know exactly what you mean about those thermostat bolts, I broke those when I did my thermostat and they are the exact reason I fear this one.

nfs480
03-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Any tips on how to unplug the oil pressure sender at the top? Mine won't unplug no matter how hard I try.

nfs480
03-30-2010, 02:21 PM
OK, I managed to get the sender unplugged (shattered the rubber covering though) and have got 2/3 bolts loose on the oil filter housing, taking a break now since I sliced open my finger on the second bolt.

ShyBoyCA6
03-30-2010, 02:52 PM
use proper tools

Dr_Snooz
03-30-2010, 05:59 PM
There is just enough room between the block and firewall to get it loose with a large wrench.

nfs480
03-30-2010, 08:10 PM
I got it, the part I was stuck on was getting the connector unplugged from the socket. I was using the proper tools and managed to slice my finger on a little part of the oil pan positioning my socket. Everything's all done now, got a new oil filter base gasket, new tubing between the oil pan and PCV, and a new left-front CV axle installed (by new I mean reman).

Dr_Snooz
03-31-2010, 05:44 AM
Nice work. A lot of guys have been having trouble with the rebuilt axles. Keep us posted on how yours does.

nfs480
03-31-2010, 07:39 AM
Yeah, i read about those troubles after i'd already purchased it. It's a rebuilt from O'reilly's. It does have a lifetime warranty though.