PDA

View Full Version : Right side axle is clicking - parts list?

Edison Carasio
03-29-2010, 06:34 AM
I'm gonna be replacing the right side CV joint and boot. Would anyone be able to help me with a parts list so I don't miss anything?

So far I think I just need a remanufactured axle with a cotter pin or two and a new spindle nut. Am I missing anything?

87roach
03-29-2010, 11:49 AM
I was just reading about this because I just replaced both my axles.

I was recommended not to buy reman'd axles because they are pretty much a quick fix, some companies don't even bother making them anymore. After hearing some things about them I decided to go with new axles, other then that all you need is a couple cotter pins like you said and possibly a jaw puller to remove the lower balljoint.

steveko
03-29-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm gonna be replacing the right side CV joint and boot. Would anyone be able to help me with a parts list so I don't miss anything?

So far I think I just need a remanufactured axle with a cotter pin or two and a new spindle nut. Am I missing anything?

All the parts come with the new axle.
Only thing you need is cotter pin as mentioned and a Ball joint separator as mentioned.

steveko
03-29-2010, 12:29 PM
I was just reading about this because I just replaced both my axles.

I was recommended not to buy reman'd axles because they are pretty much a quick fix, some companies don't even bother making them anymore. After hearing some things about them I decided to go with new axles, other then that all you need is a couple cotter pins like you said and possibly a jaw puller to remove the lower balljoint.

You're right about the remanufactured units my right side axle outer cv joint went after 3 months they suck I got it from NAPA.

Edison Carasio
03-29-2010, 12:31 PM
I've checked places like Autozone, O'reilly's and Rockauto and can only find remanufactured. Hmmm . . .

MessyHonda
03-29-2010, 06:50 PM
napa has new ones

lostforawhile
03-29-2010, 06:57 PM
don't buy one from vato zone or unadvanced they are crap. you need a new axle nut, the big one, a socket big enough to fit it and a long piece of pipe as a lever with a breaker bar. it helps to have a friend to stand on the brake while you break that nut loose. you can probably get one of those assorted packs of cotter keys, if you have a manual transmission, you need to drain it, go ahead and plan to change the oil in the tranny while you are doing this. are your axle seals leaking? if they are,this is the time to change them. as far as the ball joints get a pitman arm puller, they fit every ball joint on a Honda. you can get one for around ten bucks. they will pop the ball joints apart with no damage .

Dr_Snooz
03-29-2010, 06:58 PM
You're right about the remanufactured units my right side axle outer cv joint went after 3 months they suck I got it from NAPA.

Mine clicked and clattered out of the box. I also got mine from Napa. It's a lot of work to have to do over again.

You should consider axle seals too if you haven't replaced those in awhile.

w261w261
03-30-2010, 04:21 AM
My experience from years of reading posts like these says that for every less expensive axle that someone buys that really works well and lasts for a long time, there are probably 5 that fail right away or after a short period of time.

The job of replacing these guys is kind of labor intensive, one that you don't want to do over again if you can help it. Here is the solution:

GO TO THE HONDA DEALER (OR MAJESTIC AND SAVE 25%). READ ABOUT HOW THEY REMANUFACTURE THEIR AXLES. PAY MORE MONEY. GET MORE QUALITY. NO MORE PROBLEMS.

Seriously, we drive Honda vehicles because of their inherent good design and reliability. In some cases it may make sense to save some money with a proven aftermarket part, but in most, IMO, it does not. The variability of Chinese stuff is legendary, and when you're fixing your car, you don't want variability, you want predictability, particularly with a part that takes a lot of labor to install.

I buy Honda OEM almost exclusively. The stuff doesn't fail early, it fits, it costs more. It's worth it.

End of rant.

nfs480
04-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Just two days ago I installed a left-front reman axle from O'reilly auto parts. So far it works perfectly, i'll keep you guys posted on if any problems come up in the future. I guess the one upside is, even if it doesn't last, at least it's got a lifetime warranty. I did try to get a new one but they told me all they could get a hold of were reman.

lostforawhile
04-02-2010, 05:19 AM
Just two days ago I installed a left-front reman axle from O'reilly auto parts. So far it works perfectly, i'll keep you guys posted on if any problems come up in the future. I guess the one upside is, even if it doesn't last, at least it's got a lifetime warranty. I did try to get a new one but they told me all they could get a hold of were reman.I don't know who makes their stuff now, but several years ago I talked to someone from Oreilies and he told me the same thing about the axles, He said they use a rebuilder here from what I understood, I know they are more expensive then most of the parts stores.

nfs480
04-02-2010, 10:13 AM
They charged me $59.99 plus a $45 core charge which I did get back for my old axle. So $59.99 in total, which is about the same as all the other parts stores wanted.