PDA

View Full Version : got my h22a in the rwd accord but....

Vector
03-29-2010, 07:52 PM
i'm getting a weird howling or harmonics or something... so far i've pulled the oil pan, oil splash shield and inspected.. touched every place my fingers could fit (i made sure my hands were clean before so nothing was left behind)/.. pulled the valve cover... fished everywhere with a magnet.. found some grit but that's about it... heres whats driving me crazy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8seH5_-SXYA

i've applied pressure to the muffler and cat, intake manifold when it makes it.. doesn't go away. oh and i should mention... its sorta random. doesnt do it all the time.. but when it does its at idle speed only... any slightest throttle makes it go away...

any help appreciated pleaaseee.. its driving me nuts.. i don't want to drive the car because the noise scares the shit out of me when it happens lol.

2ndGenGuy
03-29-2010, 10:40 PM
Holy christ that is scary. Timing belt tensioner maybe? Oil pump or water pump pissed off? You have one of those mechanic's stethoscopes? Dunno if that would help or not...

Actually, I had a distributor in my 1gee that would make a noise just like that. Scared the hsit out of me too until I was able to isolate it to a POS AutoZone part.

I'd try pulling the alt belt and at least see if the noise goes away. That would be the easiest first thing to do.

AccordB20A
03-29-2010, 10:44 PM
it doesnt sound very good whatever it is!

Accordtheory
03-29-2010, 10:54 PM
What popped into my head immediately was the iacv..if that's wrong, that's what half a second of thought gets..not much. haha. It'd be alot easier for me to tell if I were there, that's for sure.

Vector
03-30-2010, 06:35 AM
yea i unplugged it... it went away as soon as the rpms dropped.. i cant get it to make the noise all the time, but thanks guys i will start checking out the alt, tbelt housing.

2drSE-i
03-30-2010, 08:53 AM
Wow thats weird. Is the block haunted?

Vector
03-30-2010, 09:10 AM
lol, that would be creepy, why couldnt it be haunted with lots of power..

anyway, i ordered a both oilpan and vc gaskets, new timing belt, water pump.. still trying to locate a h23 manual tb tensioner.

2oodoor
03-30-2010, 10:21 AM
the sound is reminiscent of a Ford with backpressure controlled EGR, makes the same noise you can hear it thru the intake.

Try taking drive belts off and run it just a minute to eliminate those, also see if the correct T belt is being used.

Accordtheory
03-30-2010, 02:56 PM
yea i unplugged it... it went away as soon as the rpms dropped.. i cant get it to make the noise all the time, but thanks guys i will start checking out the alt, tbelt housing.

By cracking the throttle open to maintain the idle with the iacv unplugged, does it still make the noise?

Vinny
03-30-2010, 06:29 PM
lol, that would be creepy, why couldnt it be haunted with lots of power..

anyway, i ordered a both oilpan and vc gaskets, new timing belt, water pump.. still trying to locate a h23 manual tb tensioner.

I dont know if I still have mine but I ordered the whole swap kit when I was going to do the h22 in my 5th gen b4 i bought the AV6. I think i paid 80 bucks or so for the whole kit. Cant remember what I did with it though

Heres the parts list if you dont have it
13404-PT0-004 - ADJUSTER COMP., BALANCER BELT
13415-PT0-000 - BRACKET, BALANCER BELT ADJUSTER
14510-PT0-004 - ADJUSTER COMP., TIMING BELT
14516-PT2-000 - SPRING COMP., TIMING BELT ADJUSTER
14521-P14-A00 - PLATE, ADJUSTER
90014-P14-A00 - BOLT, TIMING BELT ADJUSTER BASE
90015-PT0-000 - BOLT, TIMING BELT ADJUSTER SPRING
90016-PT0-000 - BOLT, TIMING BELT ADJUSTER
90140-P14-A00 - WASHER, PLAIN (11MM)

haha found the place i bought the kit from
http://www.importrp.com/product.php?productid=41997

carotman
03-30-2010, 06:53 PM
You can try to close the IACV or FIV holes with a finger before the throttle plate. The harmonics could come from there.

Vector
03-30-2010, 08:32 PM
yea i ruled out the iac, and i closed the fiv off.. i messed with the intake and the sound didnt change, get quieter or louder..

thanks for the link to the kit, i'm going to get that ordered i think asap...

Vector
04-04-2010, 05:02 PM
noise never came back after turfing the balance shaft belt.. so i guess that was the problem... i drove it really easy at first listening for noise and nothing... then i drove it hard.. and wow.. certainly an improvement over the f22.

i also replaced the timing belt and built a bolt in manual tensioner to go in place of the auto tensioner with an adjustable nut.. wasnt hard to do. saved a chunk of money not having to buy anything.

vids are coming soon.. just have alittle more to do on the car.