PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filters where are they?

LxAcc510
03-31-2010, 02:08 PM
Been having problems lately with my 89 LX.

Things like vacuum, and spark plugs and miscellaneous wear items have been replaced and checked.

I have a feeling the fuel filters are next on the list. But i have no :rant: clue where they're located.

I keep hearing there's one somewhere around the firewall...but i cant find that. Then there's one behind the wheel well...i haven't had the car up so i cant even look under there.

Will someone please point me in the right direction here? :sadwave:

ShyBoyCA6
03-31-2010, 02:38 PM
Check the manuel it says there if not there should be one next the aux piont by the rear tire on the left side and one next to the engine

lostforawhile
03-31-2010, 02:39 PM
Been having problems lately with my 89 LX.

Things like vacuum, and spark plugs and miscellaneous wear items have been replaced and checked.

I have a feeling the fuel filters are next on the list. But i have no :rant: clue where they're located.

I keep hearing there's one somewhere around the firewall...but i cant find that. Then there's one behind the wheel well...i haven't had the car up so i cant even look under there.

Will someone please point me in the right direction here? :sadwave:
since you have a carb,there's one right near the carb,it's an inline small filter, and if you jack up the drivers side rear, take off the tire, and look just in front of it, you'll see the primary one.

LxAcc510
03-31-2010, 02:41 PM
thanks guys,

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hpa/images/illustration/31/692345.png

i guess i'll be replacing the secondary fuel filter for now (no. 2 in the link) and if that doesnt solve anything i'll hit up that primary.

Thanks again guys

jlebr549
06-03-2010, 02:55 AM
Here is the drawing of the locations.

http://home.comcast.net/~jlebr549/images/FuelFilterLocation89DX.jpg

LxAcc510
06-04-2010, 12:18 AM
thanks...i only managed to replace the secondary filter...the one under the hood

Demon1024
06-04-2010, 01:22 AM
the one in back is not too hard either, just a bit dirty

just take off the driverside rear tire and look towards the gas tank

OptimusPrimeSr
06-04-2010, 05:36 AM
random question....

just had my fuel pump and (rear filter) replaced by my regular shop. When I inquired about the front fuel pump, they claimed it rarely needs to be replaced. Is that legit?

I'm having idle problems while the engine is warming up and am wondering if I should go ahead and change the filter in the front for good measure.

btw, 87 LX 4dr

powwowtime
06-30-2010, 12:26 AM
I say why not? The front filter is only a few bucks and takes about a minute to replace. If your '89 is like my '86, just look for a braided hose leading back from the carburetor toward the left corner of the engine compartment. The front filter is a small, can-like object with the hose attached to each end.

It appears very similar to "universal" fuel filters on old-school Ford and Chevy V8's so I'm actually tempted to put in a clear filter, which makes fuel flow visible.