PDA

View Full Version : horrible milage

88lxi-shortram
04-01-2010, 09:02 AM
i only get 3 or 4 miles a gallon... what could be a possible problem?

2oodoor
04-01-2010, 02:04 PM
your math because this engine wouldnt burn that much, no way. you would be dumping raw gas in the crankcase and the motor would soon lock up.

Civic Accord Honda
04-04-2010, 11:12 PM
in a lxi hell no is that possible !

2oodoor
04-05-2010, 03:32 AM
I want some scientific theory here...
IMO you would have to have an automatic tranny with the E brake on, dragging the ass end of the car around to accomplish 3-4 mpg with this small of an engine. At the least..
Or maybe this car is driving around in second gear all the time with a shop rag half way stuffing the air box.
How about four almost flat tires, and a sputter box stiffling the spark every other cylinder throughout the entire rpm range...
There has to be an accumulation of unspent fuel occuring.

A lot of idling with the induction in an enrichment phase would probably do it, and add an ounce of an exagerated description statement from 12 mpg...

88lxi-shortram
04-05-2010, 08:01 PM
no im dead serious i usuallly get somehwere between 3 to 7 mpg... supposedly its my catalytic converter.... but im going to change it out along with multi prong plugs and new o2 sensors.... but if you dont believe me come down and see for yourself..... trust me thats what i said at first

MessyHonda
04-06-2010, 12:11 AM
yeah your car needs a serious tuneup

Civic Accord Honda
04-06-2010, 03:07 AM
if your serious replace everything, cat, dizzy, coil, plug wires, plugs dont go with multi prong go with ngk vpower, 02 sensors, make sure tires are inflated properly, make sure no brakes are draging, replace air filter and check air intake for any debrebs like leafs stuck in it, check for leaking fuel injectors and other fuel leaks, check compression, check for gas getting in the oil too

2oodoor
04-06-2010, 04:02 AM
I didnt mean to say you were not being truthful, just maybe exagerating a bit.
You have to admit, the fact you are saying 3 to 7 mpg, well 7 is over double two times 3 so that in itself is a drastic range to consider.
What is it you do that is doubling your mpg from 3 to 7?
Is the valve timing correct? Is the engine ever heating up to operating temp or does is stay cold as if the thermostat was out of it?

A18A
04-06-2010, 07:07 AM
yeah what sort of driving is it? that sounds really really bad. even if it's peak traffic bumper to bumper for hours on end, that still sounds bad

jasonrebellion
04-07-2010, 02:39 PM
I'd check for a leaky gas tank or maybe an occasionally functional odometer.....you'd probly get better mileage than that running on 2 cylinders

88lxi-shortram
04-07-2010, 03:25 PM
First off what are dizzys? But as far as the filter goes I just replaced the intake so its clean as he'll. The driving is just around the neighborhood.... No tag no license... But I still gun it and it accelerates fine

ecogabriel
04-07-2010, 03:27 PM
It sounds close to incredible to get such a low mileage, especially considering that LXis use programmed fuel injection; they inject fuel only on the cylinder intake port that needs it...

A plugged (melted) cat converter may restrict exhaust flow and restrict engine function.
Out of whack O2 sensors might run rich (although it may be the other way -lean)
An engine running cold (no thermostat, defective TW sensor) would not enter close loop and uses a "default" fuel map instead of using sensor input giving as result higher fuel consumption
Finally, low tire pressure is a mpg killer (and a tire killer, btw); a moderate under-inflation is enough to drop mileage quite a bit.

ShyBoyCA6
04-07-2010, 04:39 PM
probably a ripped hose i had this problem and had shitty mileage and notice next to the filter the hose was leaking gas and smelled really strong too and is your check engine light on?

88lxi-shortram
04-09-2010, 04:45 PM
I replaced the hoses a while ago and the check engine light isn't on but today I took off my spark wires and they were such a piece of shit they didn't even seem connected to the two plugs... And the plugs that didn't seem connected had gas in them so I don't think they were firing which may have led to the catalytic converter failure. So I'm going to buy new plug wires and ngk v power plugs... Now all thts left is the stuff I can't afford the converter and the o2 sensors

skong
04-19-2010, 08:27 PM
what is the gas miles rate for an 88 lxi , gas tank size and miles per gallon, cause i think i have the same problem

Oldblueaccord
04-20-2010, 07:32 AM
I think you need a locking gas cap your neighbors are "borrowing" your gas late at night. Or you have a huge gas leak.

These cars get like 25-30 mpg.

wp

2oodoor
04-20-2010, 09:16 AM
First off what are dizzys? But as far as the filter goes I just replaced the intake so its clean as he'll. The driving is just around the neighborhood.... No tag no license... But I still gun it and it accelerates fine

that answers it, no way are you going to be able to calculate mpg just dicking around the neighborhood bogging it out.. please.

my cars get -7 mpg just sitting in the carport waiting for parts money :omg:

hondalx85
04-20-2010, 09:30 AM
check for any leak in the gas tank and the lines, its impossible for the car to run and spend a gallon on 3 milles. in my car i use to drive 14 milles per gallon but it was the carburetor and allways i have at least 2 plugs wet of gas and only driving on 2 pistons and you can feel the problem.

w261w261
04-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Hmmm, no tag, no license, and I think it's fair to say no insurance either. And you're worried about getting poor mileage? You run into someone and wreck their car and what do you do then? Say: "I'm sorry, but you're SOL because I don't have insurance or a way to pay you?" Or, hurt someone, and say: "I'm sorry, but you have to go on welfare to get medical treatment because I don't have insurance?" You need to park the car, get yourself set up right so you aren't in danger of pulling others into your financial hole, and work on the engine while you make enough money for the above.

88lxi-shortram
04-20-2010, 03:31 PM
yea i parked it now but the problem is that nobody knows anything about my car that i know and you guys are really my last hope... honestly the main reason i like driving it is cuz i have nothing better to do and have dreams of it magically getting fixed... but by the way my gf agrees with you about the driving lol.(girl: i had been trying to tell him all that bfore but he never listens)

kentwat
04-21-2010, 08:20 PM
What are your current specs on your engine? You could verify cat issues by drilling a hole in front of it and seeing if it runs better. Only draw back you have to bring it somewhere after to weld the hole back up. Or just pull the cat.

88lxi-shortram
04-23-2010, 03:29 AM
what sould i see when i drill into it?

kentwat
04-25-2010, 07:26 AM
You don't drill the cat you drill the pipe before but it needs to be big enough to relieve pressure. That is why I said after you may just want to unbolt it instead. How about those motor specs. Is it all stock or what?

1987AccordLx-i
04-25-2010, 08:26 AM
honestly OP.. 7mpg is impossible.. this engine is just too small to accept that much fuel.. like someone said... someones probably "borrowing without permission" and you just dont know it.. fuel up and keep notes on the mileage and fuel needle marks every time you park... and look under the body and engine bay for leaks... AND get a locking fuel cap...

88lxi-shortram
04-25-2010, 11:12 AM
its all stock except for the intake and an oil breather