PDA

View Full Version : hey help me out with this decision!! exhaust!

87blueaccorddx
10-07-2002, 06:18 PM
yea its me again with another question on the pacestter system. iif i got the pacesetter ceramic headers with a new catylic converter and a pacesetter exhaust system, wat kinda hp boost am i looking at. also i heard on the headers (not the ceramic, which im getting but the black ones, that the paint comes off and rusts and that stuff) is that the same with the exhaust syste or no? thanx alot, peace

glen

87AccordsterLx
10-07-2002, 06:26 PM
well I really dont think that you need a new cat. if you see a lot of smoke and crap coming out all the time then maybe but I would spend your money on something else... now for the pacesetters... yes the paint will crack and peel off.. if you can afford the ceramic ones you will save the look of the engine... as far as performance... theres no difference... if you havent fliped your carbs air lit then I would do that along with the headers and exhaust... with the intake, headers, and exhaust piping you're looking at anywhere around 8-11hp... it really depends... as far as the piping rusting..just make sure its stainless steel and not painted... it may be cheaper to go custom 2 1/4in mandrel bent...

Mantis88LX
10-07-2002, 06:26 PM
the header wont rust if u strip it down and repaint it with high temp paint.

Jims 86LXI HB
10-07-2002, 06:51 PM
Do not buy the pacesetter catback with the expectation that you will gain power. Grassroots Motorsports did dyno testing on a car just like our's where that tested it and some popular mufflers that they had a shop create a custom catbacks for. The pacesetter only made like 1.6hp! The dynomax Super turbo made allot more, enough for 3rd place and 2nd and 1st place were less than 1hp more, but allot more expensive.

So the only benefit to the pacesetter catback would be to slice off it's muffler and install a different muffler, one that will actually make power. You'd have mandrel bend's that way.

RobT5580
10-07-2002, 07:19 PM
The pacesetter cat back is junk. I have had two (only because i needed a quick replacement) Both have deteriorated within 2yrs very badly. I did like the sound because it was rather low tone but i would buy an aftermaket muffler and take it to a shop. it will only be a little bit more expensive depending on what muffler u buy but i paid $130 for new piping but and about $200 for my muffler but you can get one cheaper than that.

POS carb
10-08-2002, 04:12 AM
I had the catback and the converter, the converter works great but the catback was a POS, I kept the pipe and had a Hooker muffler welded in with dual euro tips.

1988starter
10-08-2002, 08:41 AM
You will enjoy the ceramic header I have a black one and love it the converter kicks ass. But the catback sucks. Get a custom hooker or dynomax one.

87blueaccorddx
10-08-2002, 04:15 PM
how do i flip my carbs air lit, and is the exhaust at least better than stock cuz i mite get it and have it on till i get more money for a new muffler that i can put on the pipes, thanx!

anchovies
10-08-2002, 09:55 PM
I've got the pacesetter catback. It's a sad POS.
My advice: do it right the 1st time. Mandrel bends and a universal exhaust probably going to be a little more expensive then the POS catback. But you don't have to deal with it again.

1988starter
10-09-2002, 05:21 AM
If you realy wan it get it but later cut the muffler off and put a good one on their.