PDA

View Full Version : odd sound system idea

Nio
04-03-2010, 08:39 PM
never been a fan of car stereos. but heres my idea.
i plan to pick up 4 speaker 1 sub computer stereo system. and rig it into my car. this way its only volume and a jack for my mp3.

Nio
04-03-2010, 08:40 PM
i dont use am/fm. and pc stereos sound damn good. but i wanted to know how hard this might be as well.

Accordian88
04-03-2010, 11:14 PM
sounds crazy ,but it might just work!:rockon:

Nio
04-03-2010, 11:20 PM
lmfao. wasn't expecting that.

Accordian88
04-03-2010, 11:25 PM
lol, i dont know if it would be loud enough for vehicle use. you might need an amp.:beer:

Nio
04-03-2010, 11:32 PM
yes i believe i would. but i wonder how i would rig this to work right.

btw my 2 speaker sub system i have is louder then my 03 civics system. so i know its good.

MessyHonda
04-04-2010, 11:18 PM
i seen people use a car amp with car speakers and use the input jacks of the jack riged to a ipod and you could control it...so you would not need a deck

knifemind
04-09-2010, 07:21 PM
2 ways I can think of.

1, Use a power inverter off your battery with a wattage rating sufficient to run the speaker system. Just plug the systems wall adapter into the inverter like a normal outlet. Easy.

2, Use a speaker system that has a 12v power input. I have an old 4.1 Creative speaker system with a 12v power adapter. Check the output amps of the adapter, then add a fuse to the system to match. Cut power adapter tip off and wire it to a hot lead.
I would use some connectors so that you can reattach it to the adapter for home use if you decide to remove it. In my case, I have a 12v 1.5A positive tip adapter. So...

something like this:

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l5/knifemind/random/computerspeaker.jpg

Actually...you should switch the location of the fuse and the switch. Sorry, I wasn't thinking, and I don't want to draw another shitty drawing.

ghettogeddy
04-10-2010, 05:36 AM
should be a very easy setup that you could do
only thin i see hard is finding speakers that look good that wont stick out like a super sore thumb or something that will fit in the stock holes

now that i think of it i have a sub from a set of midlands that has just reg speaker outputs on it that would just power some car speakers would just have to run new speaker wire to the trunk

6eHonda
04-19-2010, 09:33 AM
I would think having a power inverter for the computer speakers would put unwanted stress on the alternator/battery.... and almost any after-market audio equipment will do the same.. I would just make sure your alternator can handle the current draw from the inverter before I start cutting big square holes for the computer speakers. That being said, I have seen many people do back when I was in high school. And you can always get a higher-output alternator if necessary.

Keep us updated.

Vanilla Sky
04-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Why not just get a cheap headunit that has an aux input on the front panel? They make them nowadays that don't even have CD players for this purpose.

Nio
04-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Why not just get a cheap headunit that has an aux input on the front panel? They make them nowadays that don't even have CD players for this purpose.

Because that means I have to install a deck system. >.> and I really don't have a place for it once I remove my dash..

*im doing my own dash*

lostforawhile
04-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Because that means I have to install a deck system. >.> and I really don't have a place for it once I remove my dash..

*im doing my own dash*
mount it under the seat.

Nio
04-19-2010, 04:41 PM
mount it under the seat.

If I install a bucket seat would there be enough room?

I don't know so It sounds like a lot more work...

Vanilla Sky
04-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Lol, bring the car to me. I'll get it installed. Trust me, it's a good thing to have a radio tuner. In my area, you NEED it in case you're on the back roads during an evacuation. BTDT.

2ndGenGuy
04-19-2010, 05:33 PM
No room for an amp but room for an inverter? This is a seriously inefficient way to set up a stereo, not to mention it's going to look like poop to put in a bunch of crappy little PC speakers. You'd be better off buying some cheap ass car speakers and getting a small amp to power them. You'll be surprised at how good a cheap set of car speakers can sound with a proper amount of power hooked to them. Then just hook your iPod or whatever you have into your amp. Probably do the whole thing for the same price as a decent computer speaker setup, and it will look a hell of a lot better.

Nio
04-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Lol, bring the car to me. I'll get it installed. Trust me, it's a good thing to have a radio tuner. In my area, you NEED it in case you're on the back roads during an evacuation. BTDT.

lol.

:3 if there a evacuation for anything here, I'm running to it not from it.

This place is so dull it would be something fun to do....

>.<

Vanilla Sky
04-19-2010, 05:35 PM
You still need to know where you're going ;) Again, BTDT.

Nio
04-19-2010, 06:11 PM
true.

IDK. I wanted to do the dash like someone else here. *they completely tore it out, and put in there own gauges and switches*....and I just think I would have enough room for a stereo system there.

>.> and the fact I won't have a carpet would mean if I run the cables they will be easily spotted. >.< but I guess that wouldn't matter.

I guess I could always just install the deck behind the gauge system I want and run the cable around it.

lostforawhile
04-19-2010, 06:39 PM
You need something like this, http://www.vintagevibes.net/Stereos/secretaudio.htm and yes a regular radio will fit under the seats, the seat mounts are raised pretty high up.

Nio
04-19-2010, 07:02 PM
holy crap thats bad ass.

:D I think I would go with just the radio part. >.> don't need any cd's...

Thanks.

ghettogeddy
04-19-2010, 07:06 PM
ya im gona do this in my hatch

lostforawhile
04-19-2010, 07:53 PM
thats basically what i did to my clarion. i made the face remote mount and the other controls are part of the center console.

3ERDGEECARBHATCH
07-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Although the idea of computer speakers may sound like a less expensive and more functional option for you at the time, I'd caution you that you will not get the sound you're imagining getting... sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Computer low-freq. drivers are designed to reflect off flat surfaces and hide in cornered places like.....under a computer desk. The sound properties you notice in your house will change dramatically.

For a laugh, take an extension cord out to your ride, and power up your stuff there, and hook up a mp3 player or ipod or whatever you have and position the gear how you think it would sound best, and see what you get.

Good Luck!