PDA

View Full Version : Fender removal techniques?

lostscotiaguy
04-03-2010, 09:50 PM
I need to replace the Drivers side front fender on my 81 4 door and after putting it of for too long I have actually lucked out.

My local pick and pull has an exact match same year/color donor and I'd like to at least take the opportunity to grab it before it's gone. In the past I had taken a shot at removing the one on my car with the intention of hammering out the problem (A dent right on the front edge, up by the headlight) It was caused by a 10mph accident (I just HAD to lend my car out that day!) so thankfully it didn't really damage much at all, although my headlight housing is kinda messed up.
Anyhow I undid all the relevant bolts to remove the fender then realised I wouldn't be able to just take it of or even pry it off. There is a thick and consistant layer of some sort of bonding material all along the entire seam. I appreciate the build quality (Thank you for caring about your product Samara plant workers!) but I'm pretty much screwed for removal... If I attempt to pry the fender off, not only will I scrape things up, but I will bend the fender! I'm wondering if I need to use heat on this "glue" in the seam. I'm hoping I don't because I'd like to be able to swap fenders without having to strip down and/or repaint the fender. However at this point I obviously just need to do what works..... any suggestions folks? I couldn't find anything about this kind of job, so if I'm asking a question that's been answered a million times, my apologies....:confused:

79cord
04-04-2010, 01:18 AM
The adhesive definitely makes things harder & one of mine has the fenders mounting area somewhat bent about as a result of a previous owners struggle with it.
I found "cutting" it by hammering an old/disposable thin metal paint-scraper into the adhesive worked quite well.

lostscotiaguy
04-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Sounds like a plan! Thanks for the tip.